Road & Track: Who The Hell Is Going to Buy a Lucid?

Dortreo

Verified Owner
Cars
AGT
I hadn't seen this before, but in another thread, we're discussing Lucid styling, and this article seems relevant... and very critical.
  • "Lucid is jumping into the electric car market from the top shelf. They're entering the market with exactly zero name recognition, aiming for a segment that requires S-Class money while providing none of Mercedes's brand cache."
  • "They insist wealthy consumers no longer look toward old-school opulence in their expensive vehicles. On the contrary, they say, the modern luxury shopper considers issues of environmental impact and sustainability foremost and wants the whole shebang wrapped in a sort of Steve-Jobs's-Turtleneck minimalism."
  • "Back to Lucid then, and the essential question: If a Tesla already sends the right signal to your neighbors, accelerates faster than any ICE car, and does both at a lower price and with a more recognizable name than the Lucid, how will Lucid draw customers?"
  • "This leads me to a more specific question: what consumer will pay S-Class money for a car that looks like Hyundai might've designed it?"
  • "Still, I wonder. Who are these people spending $170,000 for a badass electric rocket that doesn't look or feel particularly futuristic anymore, shunning Mercedes, Porsche, Audi, Bentley, and yes, even Tesla, for a brand without name recognition?"

I would love to hear from DE owners but from posts here, it seems that the real world experience of having the car in public seems to be a real head turner and conversation stater. Is that correct?

Appears to be a real "Tesla Fanboy". I would not buy a Tesla because of the perceived shortfalls and because I do not really see them being focused on the customer to the extent they should be, too much arrogance in my opinion, that and everyone has one. That brings me to Mercedes. I will not buy another MB because of how I have been treated at the local dealer. Porsche, had one years ago and would not mind having another one, but I absolutely despise the order process and the number of choices one gets dinged with financially. I am just too old to sit at a dealer for hours trying to generate my order. Audi, owned a couple of those as well and might have purchased a third, but I spent an hour at a dealership a couple years ago with absolutely no salesman approaching me to answer questions. I ended up walking away and said never again. Come to think of it, I had that same experience 18 yrs ago in a Mercedes dealership when I lived in Las Vegas. Mercedes, in my opinion, does not have the cache it might have had once upon a time.

I have had great experiences with BMW and Infiniti, but Infiniti is now just boring. Lucid appears to be a breath of fresh air and I had thought they were more focused on the customer. It appears that may only be the case post-sale though as getting real information out of the pre-delivery has been a crap-shoot.

I hadn't seen this before, but in another thread, we're discussing Lucid styling, and this article seems relevant... and very critical.
  • "Still, I wonder. Who are these people spending $170,000 for a badass electric rocket that doesn't look or feel particularly futuristic anymore, shunning Mercedes, Porsche, Audi, Bentley, and yes, even Tesla, for a brand without name recognition?"
I'm a GT reservation holder so cannot speak for the DE owners. There was a mention of "Lucid being preferred by an older audience" in another post. So, I would like to put in my thoughts about why I'm going with Lucid:
1. I'm 41 years old. Depending on which definition you use for a millennial (1980/1981), I may or may not be one but do not care either way.
2. I would never consider buying an ICE car no matter what the brand cache may be.
3. I would never consider buying from a traditional car dealership - car dealers and realtors are two sets of rent seeking social parasites that really get me worked up.
4. I have always associated the Mercedes brand with old luxury that people in my dad's generation (he's 70 years old) with money would buy.
5. For pretty much everyone in my social circle and around my age (techies in the Bay Area), a Tesla is *the* aspirational brand.
6. The main thing that sets a Lucid apart from Tesla is the build quality (from everything I have read and seen so far) and customer service.

• "This leads me to a more specific question: what consumer will pay S-Class money for a car that looks like Hyundai might've designed it?"
Has he seen the new Hyundais? The Ioniq 5 is one of my favorite new designs.

I'm in my mid 40's. I won't consider another ICE vehicle.

I had a Porsche Taycan which I loved, but it was really overpriced, lacked the interior room and storage space, and it's range was only marginal. Probably the best looking EV at the moment, but it comes with too many compromises to live with just good looks.

I've had a Model X and was disappointed with the build quality, it didn't live up to the range or charging expectations, and again it was overpriced. Not a luxury vehicle. I won't be buying another Model S or X. If Tesla had a true 500 mile range Model S for $100k, I would consider buying another Tesla.

I have zero interest in an S Class and negative interest in the EQS. It is completely unattractive and lacks a frunk trunk, and I also don't care for "Mercedes" luxury. I prefer the sport luxury from Porsche or the Volvo (Scandinavian) luxury which I believe Lucid is a perfect combination.

The E-tron GT is simply a Taycan under another badge.

What other interesting EV sedans are out there? Especially with a 500 mile range?

I like where Polestar is headed with it's Polestar 5 and O2 concepts, but it will be years before they hit the market.

The BMW iX is definitely interesting, and is on my short list of possibilities but again it lacks a frunk truck which is a huge miss. The i4 is interesting but too small for my needs.

So at this point Lucid stands out as an incredible package.

Has he seen the new Hyundais? The Ioniq 5 is one of my favorite new designs.

I think what the article is implying is that Hyundai copied Lucid but the net result is the Lucid now looks like a Hyundai. But with recent Hyundai/Kia/Genesis designs, I don't think that's a bad thing at all.

I'm 39 and reserved when I was 36. Lucid was just different, walking that line between spartan EV and luxury. I would actually consider the 40-50s the target Lucid Customer base where the people in this group are well established enough to be able to afford a car at this price. The Model 3 and Model Y are good enough, but when you have a little more disposable income, Lucid is just nicer without the old man vibes of MB.

These comments focus on looks. I have not driven any of the other vehicles mentioned, since the DE is my first EV. All I can say is I have never driven a car that is so quick, so stable, and so responsive.

Yes, there is a long list of software shortcomings that are being addressed, some of which might never be resolved. Moreover, I hit my head getting in, I have to carefully lift my size 14 shoe when going from the accelerator to the brake (thank goodness for regenerative braking), and I really need to steady my fingers to select screen options. But, the ride is phenomenal -- period.

I have a Model 3 Performance and have grown weary of its rough noisy ride, buzzes and rattles, cheap interior, and missing common sense features like 360-degree cameras, blind-spot warning in side mirrors, and auto rear cross-traffic/pedestrian braking. Our other car is an XC40 P8 full EV which is a great little daily runabout, super comfortable and full-featured, but with only 200 mile range. I'm looking at replacing the Model 3 later this year with either an Air GT (placed a deposit), or something else interesting like an Ioniq 5, or maybe the revised 2023 E-tron.

I have a Model 3 Performance and have grown weary of its rough noisy ride, buzzes and rattles, cheap interior, and missing common sense features like 360-degree cameras, blind-spot warning in side mirrors, and auto rear cross-traffic/pedestrian braking. Our other car is an XC40 P8 full EV which is a great little daily runabout, super comfortable and full-featured, but with only 200 mile range. I'm looking at replacing the Model 3 with either an Air GT (placed a deposit), or something else interesting from an Ioniq 5, through the revised 2023 E-tron, to the Lucid.
I suspect you will not regret the Lucid, particularly if you need interior space

I suspect you will not regret the Lucid, particularly if you need interior space
Oh, the other "car" I'm waiting to see is the Polestar 3. The only concerns I have with the AGT are that it is huge, and that it's a sedan, and lately I've been wishing for an SUV format.

I have a Model 3 Performance and have grown weary of its rough noisy ride, buzzes and rattles, cheap interior, and missing common sense features like 360-degree cameras, blind-spot warning in side mirrors, and auto rear cross-traffic/pedestrian braking. Our other car is an XC40 P8 full EV which is a great little daily runabout, super comfortable and full-featured, but with only 200 mile range. I'm looking at replacing the Model 3 later this year with either an Air GT (placed a deposit), or something else interesting like an Ioniq 5, or maybe the revised 2023 E-tron.
Everything you hate about your M3Performance is not there in the Lucid. It's faster, quieter, roomie, more luxurious and has all that stuff now!

I’ve had a lot of Porsches and most of the other legacy euro ‘luxury’ brands. Porsche is great, but I’ve had enough of the arduous ordering process and being nickel and dimed on so many small things. (Some) Lucids represent great bang for the buck and seems as good a jumping off point to EVs as any. Just don’t get rid of that UVP or people like me will look elsewhere.

I’ve had a lot of Porsches and most of the other legacy euro ‘luxury’ brands. Porsche is great, but I’ve had enough of the arduous ordering process and being nickel and dimed on so many small things. (Some) Lucids represent great bang for the buck and seems as good a jumping off point to EVs as any. Just don’t get rid of that UVP or people like me will look elsewhere.
UVP?

I am 65+ yo and we have a Tesla M3, a friend has Model S and a Taycan Turbo S so have been in all of them yet I want (and apparently will shortly have) a GT. My wife's M3 is WAY too small and uncomfortable for my 6'3" frame. The Taycan is also too small. Ride is harsh. Talk about having to fold yourself inside a car. Yes, I have to learn to duck to get in the Lucid but once inside it is as spacious for the driver as my Toyota Highlander. I like the luxury as it is not 'overdone' like the EQS nor spartan like the Tesla. And who wants that dumb yoke on a model S, talk about not listening to customers! That belongs in a Cessna airplane, not a car. I don't care if it goes 0-60 in 3 or 2.5 or 3.5sec. Who is ever going to do that other than show off? Frankly, the M3 can make me nauseous enough with full acceleration. But who can combine 500mi range with everything else. That's what I (and apparently others) want.

These comments focus on looks. I have not driven any of the other vehicles mentioned, since the DE is my first EV. All I can say is I have never driven a car that is so quick, so stable, and so responsive.

Yes, there is a long list of software shortcomings that are being addressed, some of which might never be resolved. Moreover, I hit my head getting in, I have to carefully lift my size 14 shoe when going from the accelerator to the brake (thank goodness for regenerative braking), and I really need to steady my fingers to select screen options. But, the ride is phenomenal -- period.
There's a lot to unpack here--first (and most trite) is that" beauty is in the eye"...I still admire the Tesla S after 9+ years---but I don't want to buy one. They're everywhere, will undoubtedly have a near-term design overall, and are nearly indistinguishable from their 9 year old siblings. (As to Models 3 and Y: well, I just could never own car with a face like that).

As to which is "plusher"--if this is really what moves the needle for people then they BELONG in the Benz---Lucid isn't trying to trick you otherwise. Benz's have a decade's old schtick they can't possibly turn their back on---esp when the world is still 97% ICE The result is compromise, equivocation..dishonesty--schizophrenia? The legacies have these problems--and dozens more--that don't hold Lucid back from doing it's own, unique thing.

But will Lucid dominate? Thrive? Even survive? At this point there are more question marks than I would have liked---and many of them self-inflicted: Damn it guys, software doesn't come AFTER hardware---they are symbiotic, and if you don't see that (and we do) you shouldn't expect is to buy your cars. (MEMO: open/close garage door: ONE CLICK---got it?)

As they ramp up production can they afford to ramp up support/service commensurately? Do they have the capital to match the burn? (And build a Saudi plant?? really??)

Peter R seems an intelligent affable type---but is he a killer like Musk? 'Cause Musk is out to kill Lucid, as are Daimler, BMW, Toyota, VW Group...et. al. Peter just cashed in $160MM of his stock...some folks would't have the same fire in the belly after---some wouldn't even come to work!

All this said, I'm still a sucker for a beautiful face---that goes 0-60 in....?

I'll re-evaluate when asked to confirm my rez---which seems a frustratingly long way out...or maybe a fortunately long way out

Love to hear the thoughts of those here who know much more than I...

There's a lot to unpack here--first (and most trite) is that" beauty is in the eye"...I still admire the Tesla S after 9+ years---but I don't want to buy one. They're everywhere, will undoubtedly have a near-term design overall, and are nearly indistinguishable from their 9 year old siblings. (As to Models 3 and Y: well, I just could never own car with a face like that).

As to which is "plusher"--if this is really what moves the needle for people then they BELONG in the Benz---Lucid isn't trying to trick you otherwise. Benz's have a decade's old schtick they can't possibly turn their back on---esp when the world is still 97% ICE The result is compromise, equivocation..dishonesty--schizophrenia? The legacies have these problems--and dozens more--that don't hold Lucid back from doing it's own, unique thing.

But will Lucid dominate? Thrive? Even survive? At this point there are more question marks than I would have liked---and many of them self-inflicted: Damn it guys, software doesn't come AFTER hardware---they are symbiotic, and if you don't see that (and we do) you shouldn't expect is to buy your cars. (MEMO: open/close garage door: ONE CLICK---got it?)

As they ramp up production can they afford to ramp up support/service commensurately? Do they have the capital to match the burn? (And build a Saudi plant?? really??)

Peter R seems an intelligent affable type---but is he a killer like Musk? 'Cause Musk is out to kill Lucid, as are Daimler, BMW, Toyota, VW Group...et. al. Peter just cashed in $160MM of his stock...some folks would't have the same fire in the belly after---some wouldn't even come to work!

All this said, I'm still a sucker for a beautiful face---that goes 0-60 in....?

I'll re-evaluate when asked to confirm my rez---which seems a frustratingly long way out...or maybe a fortunately long way out

Love to hear the thoughts of those here who know much more than I...

Software, in this case, literally does come after hardware, as it can be changed after the fact with OTA updates. If I were in Rawlinson’s position and was pushing to launch, I’d know hardware is the inescapable thing you *have* to get right off the bat, along with drive quality, drivetrain, etc. That doesn’t mean software is unimportant, by any means, just that if you have to pick one to perfect pre-launch, they picked the right one.

They’ve got plenty of capital, and building the Saudi plant is likely going to get them *more* capital in the long run - EMEA is a huge market and largely untapped by EVs.

The stock cashing is a typical planned sale. He’s had a storied career; he was already plenty wealthy before he cashed in that stock.

Agreed on the rest.

Back