Rivian lays off 6% of its workforce

HC_79

Verified Owner
Cars
2023 Lucid Air GT
Referral Code
AWNJLGKT
Explains why they were probably in a better position than Lucid when it came to software etc. 14,000 employees compared to 4,000. 14,000 employees seems extremely excessive for a company that only got a product to market last October

While Lucid is looking to hire at least 1,300 people based on its careers page...

Reactions: DJL
Explains why they were probably in a better position than Lucid when it came to software etc. 14,000 employees compared to 4,000. 14,000 employees seems extremely excessive for a company that only got a product to market last October

Yeah, I don't know what the ideal number of employees is for a new car company. But it's probably somewhere in between 14,000 and 4,000.

Still, given a choice between the two, I often think Lucid's lean approach is a better long-term strategy. More people almost always means more bozos. Hiring thousands of people quickly is just not a great way to ensure each person is the right person for the job.

Yeah, I don't know what the ideal number of employees is for a new car company. But it's probably somewhere in between 14,000 and 4,000.

Still, given a choice between the two, I often think Lucid's lean approach is a better long-term strategy. More people almost always means more bozos. Hiring thousands of people quickly is just not a great way to ensure each person is the right person for the job.
Yeah, I think Lucid is probably understaffed and it's better to be on the conservative side. Rivian on the other hand is a prime example of a typical startup, run at 150% spend money as quick as its coming in and when the sh*t hits the fan start chopping people who helped towards making you successful. Yet, the management never seems to accept fault that the reason people need to be laid off is from their poor decisions \ running of the company.

Rivian has a lot more money in the bank but have been going through it way too fast. It does seem like they got a little ahead of themselves expanding.

Lucid has to be more than 4,000 now. They were 3,900 end of 2021- a time when they only delivered 125 cars in a quarter and averaged 3 cars per day coming out of the factory.

Back