[Resolved] Lucid charging cable not working

JJ_5

Verified Owner
Cars
Lucid Air Grand Touring
Referral Code
QRE7OA2S
I plugged the Lucid charging cable into my car this afternoon and, after 20 minutes, I noticed the car was still preparing to charge. I then saw that the Lucid letters that usually light up white were not on at all. I checked the breaker and the voltage at the 14-50 outlet. The breaker was fine and the outlet showed 240V. I unplugged the cable and plugged it back in. Nothing. The plug was very secure and had good contact with the outlet.
This morning I started remote conditioning with the car plugged in. Shortly after that, I received a charging error message in the Lucid app. It seems like that might have been what caused this problem.
I contacted Customer Care earlier this evening. Still waiting to hear back from them.

I plugged the Lucid charging cable into my car this afternoon and, after 20 minutes, I noticed the car was still preparing to charge. I then saw that the Lucid letters that usually light up white were not on at all. I checked the breaker and the voltage at the 14-50 outlet. The breaker was fine and the outlet showed 240V. I unplugged the cable and plugged it back in. Nothing. The plug was very secure and had good contact with the outlet.
This morning I started remote conditioning with the car plugged in. Shortly after that, I received a charging error message in the Lucid app. It seems like that might have been what caused this problem.
I contacted Customer Care earlier this evening. Still waiting to hear back from them.
Make sure that the "pigtail" that plugs into the wall is fully seated into the box with Lucid on it.

Did the charger ever give a red blinking error when plugged in?

Was the charger blinking red and if so how many simultaneous blinks did the charger register before a pause?
It wasn't blinking; it has no light at all, red or white. Customer Service is going to bring a new charging cable this week.

It wasn't blinking; it has no light at all, red or white. Customer Service is going to bring a new charging cable this week.

Glad they are taking care of you. I had a faulty cable that was a little tricky to diagnose and they overnighted me a new one.

Glad they are taking care of you. I had a faulty cable that was a little tricky to diagnose and they overnighted me a new one.
What were the symptoms of your faulty cable?

What were the symptoms of your faulty cable?

Mine blinked red 9 times. The users manual had a chart that only went up to 8 times , so I thought something was wrong with my NEMA or my system in general. Once we figured out that 9 times means an internal cable error , I spoke with CS and they overnighted me a new cable.

If seems like your cable just went completely dead.

That's funny. I wonder what 10 blinks means.

Yes, it seems like mine just went dead. But since the proximity of the failure was so close to my turning on remote conditioning while it was plugged in and charging, makes me think there might be a possibility of a relation between the two. CS doesn't think it could cause a cable failure, but they do want to want to check the car.

The updated user’s manual reflects the 9 blink limit😉😉

Please let us know what you find.

Probably a good idea for those that have a 14-50 outlet available to test the Lucid charger even if you have a home EVSE to insure that the charger is working. Would suck to discover this while on the road.

The updated user’s manual reflects the 9 blink limit😉😉

Please let us know what you find.
The cable failed all on its own. The tech checked the log for faults and found none related to running remote climate while charging. He replaced the cable and everything is good again.

Make sure that the "pigtail" that plugs into the wall is fully seated into the box with Lucid on it.
Duh, I wish I would have read this post before calling Lucid. No light when I plugged it in. CS said the Lucid emblem should be illuminated. I pressed the adapter cable really hard, and voila! Mentioned this to my BIL (he had the same issue), and it cured his issue. I guess the rubber on the connector is a little "fat" so you have to use a little more pressure first time around. Bottom line is make sure the emblem is lit. I smacked myself in the forehead as a reminder.

Thank you forum! I’m having the exact same problem- charger works fine for a couple of hours, then trips the breaker. Electrician (not the guy who originally installed the 14-50 outlet) and he confirmed that it was working fine and pushing correct current. Calling CS now, hopefully they’ll respond as quickly.

Thank you forum! I’m having the exact same problem- charger works fine for a couple of hours, then trips the breaker. Electrician (not the guy who originally installed the 14-50 outlet) and he confirmed that it was working fine and pushing correct current. Calling CS now, hopefully they’ll respond as quickly.
If you are tripping the circuit breaker to the 14-50 outlet, this is a problem with your circuit breaker or wiring. it is not likely a Lucid issue.

If you are tripping the circuit breaker to the 14-50 outlet, this is a problem with your circuit breaker or wiring. it is not likely a Lucid issue.
I’m not an electrician, but the one I talked to (who has some experience with Tesla chargers) blames it on the cable. He says that they can overheat and tris the breaker.

I had the same issue; tripping the breaker. I had my electrician come out, and the sub panel where my 50 amp breaker was installed, only had 60 amps going to it. He had to pull heavier wire to the subpanel and install a 100 amp breaker to the sub panel and it has not tripped the breaker again.

I’m not an electrician, but the one I talked to (who has some experience with Tesla chargers) blames it on the cable. He says that they can overheat and tris the breaker.
The cable overheating will not trip the breaker. However, the breaker overheating can cause it to trip.

Back