[RESOLVED] LEAVE-REGEN-ALONE

I'd believe a software bug where your car is actually in low regen but is showing you hi regen in the UI before I'd believe Lucid made any changes to the actual regen behavior, intentional or not.

I wonder if anyone here has tried a logo or nuke reset after getting this behavior. Did it make any difference? And again, goes without saying, but check your current regen setting, because the car has been known to occasionally set itself to low regen spontaneously. And try setting it to low, then hi, then low again a few times as well. Get the gremlins out if possible.

Other than that, all I can say is take it to service if it continues to experience extremely low regen to the point where one-pedal is no longer possible. That's not normal.
 
I'd believe a software bug where your car is actually in low regen but is showing you hi regen in the UI before I'd believe Lucid made any changes to the actual regen behavior, intentional or not.

I wonder if anyone here has tried a logo or nuke reset after getting this behavior. Did it make any difference? And again, goes without saying, but check your current regen setting, because the car has been known to occasionally set itself to low regen spontaneously. And try setting it to low, then hi, then low again a few times as well. Get the gremlins out if possible.

Other than that, all I can say is take it to service if it continues to experience extremely low regen to the point where one-pedal is no longer possible. That's not normal.
It changed. I always and only run low regen because I hate regen. It was never smooth on low. Now it is.
 
One thing we can all agree on - since Lucid has been treating product documentation with the same care and attention as a monkey treats its own excrement, we're left sharing anecdotes and guesses as to what's happening with the vehicles we own. They need to do better.
 
Good points, all. That got me thinking more specifically as well. It doesn’t happen all the time.

I can best describe what I’m feeling as an inconsistency in the regen level during lift off from the accelerator. That is, as I initially lift off from the pedal, the regen kicks in as I’d expect in high regen, but as the car slows and as I further take my foot off the pedal, sometimes it feels as though the regen is reduced (like low regen mode) at around maybe 5-10 mph and slows less forcefully than when it first begin to slow.

I hope that makes sense. To me it was very surprising since I’m so used to my air and loved the way regen felt and worked. Now it’s inconsistent and I need to be ready to jump on the brakes if at the last moment the car decides not to come to a stop and roll into the car in front of me.

It’s not temperature related as it wasn’t that cold when this started and even in the cold now, sometimes it behaves as it should on high regen.
 
AFTER THE 2.8.16 UPDATE MY REGEN HAS CHANGED FOR THE WORSE AND I NEARLY REAR ENDED SOMEONE TODAY IN RAIN COS YOU HAVE TOLD MY BRAIN OVER THE LAST 2 YEARS THAT MY CAR WILL STOP IN X FEET....DO NOT ... DO NOT MESS WITH THE REGEN TO NOW NEED X+0.5X DISTANCE COS I NEARLY READ ENDED SOMEONE TODAY. IF I END UP IN A CRASH COS OF THIS, I WILL CALL MY LAWYERS. THIS IS A SAFETY ISSUE - FIX IT AND STOP MUCKING AROUND WITH REGEN!!!!
I too hate the drive and feel of my Lucid since they throttled back our regen. I have called them once a month EVERY month to complain since I realized this was done by design. Throttling back regen is the equivalent of taking away 3rd gear in an manual shift or preventing an automatic from downshifting. I like the engine slowing down the vehicle automatically as I release the accelerator like when driving in snowy conditions or if I’m driving fast on a curvy road. It’s absolutely preposterous they thought to do this for everyone instead of simply adding additional levels of regen braking the drive settings.

All they should have done was introduce a ‘light’ regeneration setting and leave our ‘heavy’ regen alone. I took my AT to KOP Service center to have them check it out, thinking that it wasn’t working properly. Apparently it was. Someone at Lucid should be fired for implementing such a radical change to the drive and feel of the car. Peter would never have allowed this. He may have been a horrible CEO, but that engineer sure knew how important the feel and drive of a luxury sports car needs to be.

What gives, LUCID? Please restore our cars back to the way it was with your next OTA ‘update’ and introduce any regen changes to settings in the drive mode.
 
Guess we need a matrix of reported reduced regeneration vs car type, driving mode, regen setting, and environmental conditions.
Have seen no change ever in my 2021 GT Air on smooth with max regen, in any weather 45F-110F, except any time at high SOC and once over bumpy rough pavement.
 
It absolutely happens with Teslas and every other EV, though the temperature at which it becomes noticeable will vary with the specific battery chemistry and charger. For the same reason you precondition your battery prior to fast charging, a cold battery cannot physically accept as much power as a warm battery. If there's nowhere to put the energy, the motors can't take it away from the wheels.
Not true for the 5 Teslas I owned over the past 12 years in the same state. Winter temp drops NEVER changed the regen feel on my cars, and I never got any alerts that regen was reduced, unless it was at 100% SOC.
 
This is most definitely a software problem, and NOT normal at all. My Air Pure feels unsteady at higher speed when I let foot off of accelerator. It actually speeds up (!) initially and I have to hit friction brakes. This is a very clear change since 2.8.16. Lucid needs to fix this asap. Drive quality is WAY lower now. Compared to my Gravity, it is now night and day.
 
This is most definitely a software problem, and NOT normal at all. My Air Pure feels unsteady at higher speed when I let foot off of accelerator. It actually speeds up (!) initially and I have to hit friction brakes. This is a very clear change since 2.8.16. Lucid needs to fix this asap. Drive quality is WAY lower now. Compared to my Gravity, it is now night and day.
Agreed...someone at Lucid needs severe re training on how not to mess this up again...I'm very quickly losing patience with Lucid after 3 years of rolling with the brand...! Unacceptable
 
I think it's telling when over the last 7 days the hottest topics are ALL about issues with the car...! Arguably, the forums do attract more negative comments but still...doesn't inspire confidence 😞

15651.webp
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Guess we need a matrix of reported reduced regeneration vs car type, driving mode, regen setting, and environmental conditions.
Have seen no change ever in my 2021 GT Air on smooth with max regen, in any weather 45F-110F, except any time at high SOC and once over bumpy rough pavement.
There was a thread a while back where someone collated the stopping distances of their model under each regen setting and in each drive setting into a table. Wish I could find it.

I'm down to contribute, might have some time tomorrow to take some measurements.
 
Thread 'Regen levels across all driving modes'
 
Tesla owner here waiting for my Gravity. Regen on my Tesla does fluctuate, and the reasons are clear. 100% charge - low Regen. Cold day (California cold; 50’s or 60’s 😄). Low Regen.

After a few miles of driving when the battery heats up and can take a faster charge rate, the regen steadily goes back to “normal”. This is also why there is a battery precondition mode for supercharging. Battery charge rate is sensitive to battery temperature, state of charge, etc. This is to protect the battery.

There have been software updates on my Tesla that tweaked the regen settings. Lucid may have done the same. This isn’t necessarily a bug.

It’s never been a big deal. One pedal driving is great, but if the regen feels “soft,” shift to breaks. Tesla has an indicator showing regen limits; does Lucid?
 
Not true for the 5 Teslas I owned over the past 12 years in the same state. Winter temp drops NEVER changed the regen feel on my cars, and I never got any alerts that regen was reduced, unless it was at 100% SOC.
From the Tesla manual: "Vehicle deceleration due to regenerative braking may vary depending on the current state of the Battery. For example, regenerative braking may be limited if the Battery is cold or is already fully charged."
 
This is most definitely a software problem, and NOT normal at all. My Air Pure feels unsteady at higher speed when I let foot off of accelerator. It actually speeds up (!) initially and I have to hit friction brakes. This is a very clear change since 2.8.16. Lucid needs to fix this asap. Drive quality is WAY lower now. Compared to my Gravity, it is now night and day.
If your vehicle is speeding up when you take your foot off the accelerator, you have a hardware problem, not a software problem. Even if regen is completely off, let alone just reduced, it should not speed up when your foot is off the accelerator. If it is doing that, you need to see service immediately.
 
If your vehicle is speeding up when you take your foot off the accelerator, you have a hardware problem, not a software problem. Even if regen is completely off, let alone just reduced, it should not speed up when your foot is off the accelerator. If it is doing that, you need to see service immediately.
From decades of driving in snow and ice, I can tell you that if you apply the brakes and the braking is ineffective, it definitely feels like the car is accelerating. 100%. This would be the same with regen. It is a very weird phenomenon, but 100% real.
 
From the Tesla manual: "Vehicle deceleration due to regenerative braking may vary depending on the current state of the Battery. For example, regenerative braking may be limited if the Battery is cold or is already fully charged."
I’ve never experienced this due to temps. After reading this thread I even tested it this week - hopped in when temps were high 30s and started driving, and I have a stop sign very close to my house that I always rely on the car to regen stop me. SOC of 79%, and regen worked exactly like it always has with no difference because of the temps. The only time I have ever noticed reduced regen is when I charge to 100% for a road trip.

Perhaps the key words in Tesla’s manual are “may be limited” - I have no idea at what temp the battery is cold enough for there to be an effect so maybe it isn’t cold enough here.
 
I’ve never experienced this due to temps. After reading this thread I even tested it this week - hopped in when temps were high 30s and started driving, and I have a stop sign very close to my house that I always rely on the car to regen stop me. SOC of 79%, and regen worked exactly like it always has with no difference because of the temps. The only time I have ever noticed reduced regen is when I charge to 100% for a road trip.

Perhaps the key words in Tesla’s manual are “may be limited” - I have no idea at what temp the battery is cold enough for there to be an effect so maybe it isn’t cold enough here.
Is your Tesla in a garage overnight? Do you precondition it, charge it in the morning before you leave, or anything like that which may pre-heat the battery? Keep in mind it's not the outdoor temperature that does it, it's the battery temperature. Takes hours of idle time in ambient cold to cold-soak the battery.

I don't have firsthand experience with a Tesla in winter, all I know is I also see many forum posts about how Tesla regen is limited to nonexistent below ~70ºF as well.

Edit: Actually the Tesla forums brought up what may be an interesting distinction: For those of you who have a heat pump-equipped car, Tesla or Lucid, the heat pump is drawing heat away from the battery pack to warm the cabin. Those of us with resistive heaters may actually be warming the battery a little bit instead.
🤔
 
Last edited:
Back
Top