Received my Tesla Tap

So are the connectors/adapters poor quality? Why is the Tesla tap mostly regarded as a backup? It's well known that Tesla has the largest infrastructure and charging network right? So why wouldn't you want to charge at a Tesla station more regularly on road trips when EA isn't convenient?

I feel like I missed something

Also noob questions incoming - first EV,
But I want to better plan for it. I have a nema 14-50 close to my garage where my dryer is being used.

I am not an electrician and don't really understand the potential issues I could face. I don't have a nema 14-50 in my garage. Just a normal outlet.

What would the standard recommendation be to get a standard level 2 setup?

I know the nema 14-50 is standard 50amp 240V right?

Sorry for noob questions

So are the connectors/adapters poor quality? Why is the Tesla tap mostly regarded as a backup? It's well known that Tesla has the largest infrastructure and charging network right? So why wouldn't you want to charge at a Tesla station more regularly on road trips when EA isn't convenient?

But I want to better plan for it. I have a nema 14-50 close to my garage where my dryer is being used.

I am not an electrician and don't really understand the potential issues I could face. I don't have a nema 14-50 in my garage. Just a normal outlet.

Sorry for noob questions
Most people here have been wiring a third party charger into their garage (usually of the 60 amp variety). I personally am waiting for the new Lucid Charger to come out. This will allow my house to utilize the Lucid during a power outage (V2G - Vehicle to Grid or V2H - Vehicle to House). There is somewhat of a substantial cost to this, usually the wiring itself. The chargers can range anywhere from 500 and up. The actual electrical work will likely run from 2000 and up (I have yet to find out how much the V2G implementation will be, but will update when I find out more).

I will not go to the huge cost for added equipment to have a Lucid run my house for only 2 hours in a power outage. We have a generator that wil run for weeks at a time on propane and it has worked well through two hurricanes.

I will not go to the huge cost for added equipment to have a Lucid run my house for only 2 hours in a power outage. We have a generator that wil run for weeks at a time on propane and it has worked well through two hurricanes.
This for me is a no brainer as I currently do not have a backup power source. Currently I have a paltry 20 AMP charger in my garage. I will upgrade to the Lucid Charger when it comes out and kill 2 birds with one stone. V2G, and higher charge rate.

The plan after that is to put in Solar. Once people start adopting EVs, electricity rates are going to sky rocket even with renewable (it has already started).

Sorry for noob questions
The main reason the Tesla Tap is a backup is because you can’t use superchargers with it - just Tesla destination chargers. They definitely exist, but there are fewer, and most hotels that have them also have CCS chargers.

Pardon but another semi-n00b here. I have a Gen 3 Tesla Wall charger in the garage for my model 3 performance on a 60 Amp circuit. I'm understanding from reading here that Lucid will have their own wall charger coming at some point. I have to be honest in reading this thread while I see it does work I am not into filing down electrical plugs. So no Tesla Tap for me. Given these parameters, are there any on-wall chargers that are properly certified that will give me a decent Charge rate in the 7 or more kw/h range? I get 11-12 now on the Telsa charger into my Tesla but I fully understand i cant duplicate that under any option with the Lucid right now (I don't think?). I also don't want do do the NEMA plug since I already have the 60 Amp spot on the wall.

What are my options in line with the above for the best Lucid charge rate as of now?

Thanks!

Pardon but another semi-n00b here. I have a Gen 3 Tesla Wall charger in the garage for my model 3 performance on a 60 Amp circuit. I'm understanding from reading here that Lucid will have their own wall charger coming at some point. I have to be honest in reading this thread while I see it does work I am not into filing down electrical plugs. So no Tesla Tap for me. Given these parameters, are there any on-wall chargers that are properly certified that will give me a decent Charge rate in the 7 or more kw/h range? I get 11-12 now on the Telsa charger into my Tesla but I fully understand i cant duplicate that under any option with the Lucid right now (I don't think?). I also don't want do do the NEMA plug since I already have the 60 Amp spot on the wall.

What are my options in line with the above for the best Lucid charge rate as of now?

Thanks!
A Chargepoint Home Flex (along with many other choices) will use the full 11.5kW capability of your 60-amp Tesla circuit. I have the same. Teslas are not exceptional save for their proprietary plug.

One minor issue - the Chargepoint can only have conduit entry from behind or below. My Tesla HPWC's conduit entered from the top, so it's not quite a quick swapout.

Last edited:
I have to be honest in reading this thread while I see it does work I am not into filing down electrical plugs. So no Tesla Tap for me.

I wouldn’t let one bad experience make me think that all Tesla taps were bad. I’ve used a couple and never had a problem. Both of my brothers have one and they work fine.

A Chargepoint Home Flex (along with many other choices) will use the full 11.5kW capability of your 60-amp Tesla circuit. I have the same. Teslas are not exceptional save for their proprietary plug.

One minor issue - the Chargepoint can only have conduit entry from behind or below. My Tesla HPWC's conduit entered from the top, so it's not quite a quick swapout.
Ah of course it wouldn't be just a quick swap. Haha. Do you have a Gen 3 Tesla Charger? That's what I have.

Is the TeslaTap certified at all? I have a Tesla wall charger installed in my home garage. About to take delivery of my Air and the Lucid delivery rep is telling me horror stories about adapters melting and ruining my Lucid. I’m nervous to now connect an adapter to my Tesla wall charger … but don’t really want to call an electrician out to install a 240 v plug. Would love to use the Tesla charger to charge my Lucid. Any comments or thoughts from this group?
Not UL certified.

Ah of course it wouldn't be just a quick swap. Haha. Do you have a Gen 3 Tesla Charger? That's what I have.
Mine is a Gen 2 HPWC. Four years ago my kitchen remodel contractor ran the conduit and wire, and I installed Tesla's box for my 2018 Model 3. I recently sold the Model 3, took out the HPWC and sold it as well. If I do follow through with purchasing an Air GT (confirmation date 28 March) and Lucid's box is available when the car arrives, I'll install that. Otherwise maybe another Chargepoint Home Flex - we have one already for my wife's car and it's very nice to use.

I've confirmed with Lucid that their wall box has conduit entry from the bottom like the Chargepoint.

Based on my limited experience, I wouldn't plan on using the TeslaTap with a Tesla wall adapter on a regular basis. It's more of a cumbersome emergency fallback.

Agree. I only have one so that I can use it at destination chargers when traveling. I would recommend to invest in a J1772 charger for home.

Otherwise maybe another Chargepoint Home Flex - we have one already for my wife's car and it's very nice to use.

I've confirmed with Lucid that their wall box has conduit entry from the bottom like the Chargepoint.
An FYI, you can only have one ChargePoint Flex on your app account. I think that it is a major fail on their part. Many of us would buy a second one otherwise.

An FYI, you can only have one ChargePoint Flex on your app account. I think that it is a major fail on their part. Many of us would buy a second one otherwise.
I agree. I'm hoping to go Lucid, but if I wind up with another Chargepoint I'll put her charger on her account/phone and mine on my account/phone.

I have a Tesla wall charger in my garage. I purchased a Lectron Tesla to J1772 Charging Adapter. It works but charges at 1/3 (10kW) the rate as when I was charging my Model X. Am I doing something wrong? Below is a screenshot from my app.

IMG_6C9794699FE9-1.jpeg

I have a Tesla wall charger in my garage. I purchased a Lectron Tesla to J1772 Charging Adapter. It works but charges at 1/3 (10kW) the rate as when I was charging my Model X. Am I doing something wrong? Below is a screenshot from my app.
Did you buy the 40 amp adapter? That would limit power to 40amps x 240 volts= 10kW.

Did you buy the 40 amp adapter? That would limit power to 40amps x 240 volts= 10kW.
Winner winner chicken dinner. Man, I feel dumb. Thank you.

Winner winner chicken dinner. Man, I feel dumb. Thank you.
Not at all. This kind of stuff was my career, it's good to occasionally make use of the knowledge.

Back