Received my Tesla Tap

Based on my limited experience, I wouldn't plan on using the TeslaTap with a Tesla wall adapter on a regular basis. It's more of a cumbersome emergency fallback.
I can’t agree with that. I have one TeslaTap mini (80A) “permanently“ attached to one (of 3) Tesla wall connectors and I use it on a daily basis - running at 80A. These are gen-2 Tesla wall connectors. Only one of these needed filing down to make the mini fit less tight. I remove and take the mini with me when traveling to our vacation home, where I have a Tesla gen-1 80A wall connector. It too has had no fit issues with mini.

I can’t agree with that. I have one TeslaTap mini (80A) “permanently“ attached to one (of 3) Tesla wall connectors and I use it on a daily basis - running at 80A. These are gen-2 Tesla wall connectors. Only one of these needed filing down to make the mini fit less tight. I remove and take the mini with me when traveling to our vacation home, where I have a Tesla gen-1 80A wall connector. It too has had no fit issues with mini.
Maybe my Tesla wall connector's plug is bigger than average ;) .

Mine is a Gen 2 HPWC. Four years ago my kitchen remodel contractor ran the conduit and wire, and I installed Tesla's box for my 2018 Model 3. I recently sold the Model 3, took out the HPWC and sold it as well. If I do follow through with purchasing an Air GT (confirmation date 28 March) and Lucid's box is available when the car arrives, I'll install that. Otherwise maybe another Chargepoint Home Flex - we have one already for my wife's car and it's very nice to use.

I've confirmed with Lucid that their wall box has conduit entry from the bottom like the Chargepoint.
Thanks for the info.

Pardon but another semi-n00b here. I have a Gen 3 Tesla Wall charger in the garage for my model 3 performance on a 60 Amp circuit. I'm understanding from reading here that Lucid will have their own wall charger coming at some point. I have to be honest in reading this thread while I see it does work I am not into filing down electrical plugs. So no Tesla Tap for me. Given these parameters, are there any on-wall chargers that are properly certified that will give me a decent Charge rate in the 7 or more kw/h range? I get 11-12 now on the Telsa charger into my Tesla but I fully understand i cant duplicate that under any option with the Lucid right now (I don't think?). I also don't want do do the NEMA plug since I already have the 60 Amp spot on the wall.

What are my options in line with the above for the best Lucid charge rate as of now?

Thanks!

I'd go with a hardwired WallBox unit (available on Amazon). It has good scheduling and control options from the app.

same - I have a tap and use it regularly - although I did file it slightly to make sure my wife could swap it off when she needs to charge her Tesla.

Boosted the Gen2 Tesla charger up to 72A (I have a 90A circuit) and with the 80A Tap, it charges very nicely. It's simple to grab if I'm taking a longer trip to use on a destination charger as well.

In speaking with my Lucid rep. re warranty issues, it appears any non Lucid charger can void the warranty weather it be a Tesla Tap with a Tesla charger or a Chargepoint or any other non-Lucid charger. It is no different than Apple and Samsung recommending their own power supplies and not 3rd party ones. I doubt they will create any issues as long as you match the proper amperage. As with any company it gives them a potential out for liability purposes, so it does make sense from my retired attorneys perspective.

In speaking with my Lucid rep. re warranty issues, it appears any non Lucid charger can void the warranty weather it be a Tesla Tap with a Tesla charger or a Chargepoint or any other non-Lucid charger. It is no different than Apple and Samsung recommending their own power supplies and not 3rd party ones. I doubt they will create any issues as long as you match the proper amperage. As with any company it gives them a potential out for liability purposes, so it does make sense from my retired attorneys perspective.
Not sure, but as long as a properly certified (ANSI/UL), Lucid or any other automaker would have to prove that was the cause. I am not sure if the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act applies here.

Regardless, Lucid would have to prove that was the cause, but who wants to do that even if UL approved it was not made by them.

It would be hard to use a Lucid charger when traveling or not having access to a plug to use the mobile Lucid charger. As a matter of fact, charging at EA stations would be problematic. For Level 2 charging, Lucid uses the J1772 standard. Tesla uses the J1772 protocol with their own connector. The Tesla Tap simply adapts the Tesla connector to the J1772 connector.

Those of us with a tesla home charger don't have to buy another one
That's what I thought initially then I would get ready for work and notice my car wasn't charged and the Tesla wall charger was giving my five and seven blinking red lights. This turned out to be a communication error and overcurrent, respectively. I would have to go to the basement and trip the breaker to reset it. I finally ordered an Autel wall charger and have had no issues. I am renting a Model 3 right now while my GT is being fixed and it has been charging it without any issues.

That's what I thought initially then I would get ready for work and notice my car wasn't charged and the Tesla wall charger was giving my five and seven blinking red lights. This turned out to be a communication error and overcurrent, respectively. I would have to go to the basement and trip the breaker to reset it. I finally ordered an Autel wall charger and have had no issues. I am renting a Model 3 right now while my GT is being fixed and it has been charging it without any issues.

Oooohhhh…I didn’t want to hear this having just received my TeslaTap connector. Otherwise I’ll be looking at buying another home charger too. My DA said that Lucid’s home charger would be available for sale “by the end of September”. Two days left in the month.

Oooohhhh…I didn’t want to hear this having just received my TeslaTap connector. Otherwise I’ll be looking at buying another home charger too. My DA said that Lucid’s home charger would be available for sale “by the end of September”. Two days left in the month.
Yeah, my DA said by the end of July.

I have 3 Tesla Wall Connectors (Gen-2) in my home in Tucson. They all work great with the Tesla Tap Mini (80A). I also use another Tesla Tap Mini (80A) at my vacation home with a Tesla Wall Connector (Gen-1) with no problems. I would try out the Tesla Tap mini, if I were you, first. I've only had one fault from the Lucid with the Tesla Tap mini many months ago: it complained about a communications error. The Tesla Wall Connector has a few times display a red error light, but I just reset it with the button on the side. I leave the Tesla tap min attached to the Tesla connector all the time, although they recommend unplugging for 30 seconds before using it.

I have 3 Tesla Wall Connectors (Gen-2) in my home in Tucson. They all work great with the Tesla Tap Mini (80A). I also use another Tesla Tap Mini (80A) at my vacation home with a Tesla Wall Connector (Gen-1) with no problems. I would try out the Tesla Tap mini, if I were you, first. I've only had one fault from the Lucid with the Tesla Tap mini many months ago: it complained about a communications error. The Tesla Wall Connector has a few times display a red error light, but I just reset it with the button on the side. I leave the Tesla tap min attached to the Tesla connector all the time, although they recommend unplugging for 30 seconds before using it.

I have two Tesla Wall Connectors right now, one that has a maximum amperage of 48 amps (”autographed“ by EEEEHLOHHHNNN), and another older one that charges at a maximum amperage of 72 amps. Would you happen to know which Gen the latter one is, Gen1?

I have two Tesla Wall Connectors right now, one that has a maximum amperage of 48 amps (”autographed“ by EEEEHLOHHHNNN), and another older one that charges at a maximum amperage of 72 amps. Would you happen to know which Gen the latter one is, Gen1?
All the wall connectors are settable to various amperages. I think the autographed ones were Gen-1. The Gen-1 (80A max) didn't have a holder for the car connector built in - it was an external holder. The Gen-2 (80A max) has a built-in holder. The Gen-3 are wifi (48A max) and have a thinner cable. The Gen-2 can share power via a RS-485 cable connection. They also have a Gen-2 style wall connectors that have a J1772 connector on them rather than the Tesla connector – these are primarily used as destination chargers and have a max of 40A.

So your 72A wall connector is either a Gen-1 or Gen-2 and you can determine which one it is by checking if there is a provision on the side to plug in the Tesla car connector. This is the one you will probably want to use with the Lucid, since it will give you faster charging.

All the wall connectors are settable to various amperages. I think the autographed ones were Gen-1. The Gen-1 (80A max) didn't have a holder for the car connector built in - it was an external holder. The Gen-2 (80A max) has a built-in holder. The Gen-3 are wifi (48A max) and have a thinner cable. The Gen-2 can share power via a RS-485 cable connection. They also have a Gen-2 style wall connectors that have a J1772 connector on them rather than the Tesla connector – these are primarily used as destination chargers and have a max of 40A.

So your 72A wall connector is either a Gen-1 or Gen-2 and you can determine which one it is by checking if there is a provision on the side to plug in the Tesla car connector. This is the one you will probably want to use with the Lucid, since it will give you faster charging.

Thanks for your in depth reply. I really appreciate it.

BOTH wall chargers have a holder in the side where I can store the charging handle. Based on on your explanation, my older 72 amp max charger is a Gen 2.

I’m suspecting that my other Elon-autographed charger is a newer 48 amp max Gen 3. I say this because I “won” that charger as a referral prize (remember those referral prizes and supercharging credits?).

In any case I’ll go with your recommendation and use the older Gen-2 to charge the Lucid. Also I took another look at the TeslaTap thingie I received the other day. Nothing “mini” about it, the receipt says that I bought a ”TeslaTap 80AMP - HIGH POWER”. Accompanying paperwork also says that it’s meant to be used specifically with the Gen-2 chargers. I’m in luck there!

I‘m hoping I won’t run into any of the problems that have been described above.

This really doesn’t make sense. I and many Air owners have been waiting for Lucid Home Chargers for months, we are all screwed by installing other brands? 110V Lucid cable is useless, EA station is fast, but not as convenient as charging overnight in one’s own garage.

I hear you, just saying what my rep told me and why all the reps will tell you to use the Lucid portable charger with the 220 plug. As far as being on the road they want you to use Electrify America. Hypo #1 something happens to your car using a 3rd party home charger vs Lucids portable charger, whose Lucid going to blame. Hypo #2 Electrify America v some other 3rd party charging system on the road, since Lucid recommends Electrify America Lucid would more than likely take care of it and seek indemnification from Electrify. Whereas your probably on your own trying to sue the 3rd party charger company.

Back