Received my Tesla Tap

Of those of you that have bought one … is it a backup (belt n braces as we’d say in the UK) or do you use it regularly?

Backup for me

Of those of you that have bought one … is it a backup (belt n braces as we’d say in the UK) or do you use it regularly?
Only for road trips for me and only when destination charger only has Tesla available (like last night just north of Richmond VA on way from Florida to CT! Glad I had it and had trimmed it to fit much better. I’m thinking really hot weather might cause the Tesla plug to expand just enough to make it impossible to fit. It was over 90 and 90% humidity when the Tesla plug broke off in my TeslaTap.

Only for road trips for me and only when destination charger only has Tesla available (like last night just north of Richmond VA on way from Florida to CT! Glad I had it and had trimmed it to fit much better. I’m thinking really hot weather might cause the Tesla plug to expand just enough to make it impossible to fit. It was over 90 and 90% humidity when the Tesla plug broke off in my TeslaTap.
Finally making the journey —- good luck —- in my head you left on that journey about 3 months ago :)

I suspect there will be expansion due to heat (of the energy flow) too. Meaning the longer it is used in a session, the harder it will be to separate.

IMO TeslaTap is a backup device. I'm planning to swap out my Tesla HPWC later this year for a regular EVSE, rather than using the Tesla thing with my TeslaTap. I don't trust the Tap for regular use. I'm a career electrical engineer with some experience in power electronics.

Finally making the journey —- good luck —- in my head you left on that journey about 3 months ago :)

I suspect there will be expansion due to heat (of the energy flow) too. Meaning the longer it is used in a session, the harder it will be to separate.
Spent more time up north than I expected before going to collect the car. Will post observations of trip in a day or two when I get a few minutes.

I’ve been on the fence... but yes I can see for destination charger flexibility this would be a good thing.
thanks

I stopped by local Tesla SC and tried on the MiniTap.
Didn't seem to have any problem with the Tesla Wall Charger. In fact, there was a little free play even.
Maybe the fit issue is brand-specific (e.g., ChargePoint or whatever)? The Tesla plug in the shop did look like it's been well used and hence is possibly a bit worn out.

I stopped by local Tesla SC and tried on the MiniTap.
Didn't seem to have any problem with the Tesla Wall Charger. In fact, there was a little free play even.
Maybe the fit issue is brand-specific (e.g., ChargePoint or whatever)? The Tesla plug in the shop did look like it's been well used and hence is possibly a bit worn out.
It may fit well on the earliest Tesla wall chargers (Gen 1) but definitely didn't fit on my 4-year-used Gen 2 Tesla wall charger.

It may fit well on the earliest Tesla wall chargers (Gen 1) but definitely didn't fit on my 4-year-used Gen 2 Tesla wall charger.
I don't own a Tesla so it didn't occur to me to ask the Tesla tech which generation the plug was.
So an old Tesla can't use the latest chargers by design then. Or Tesla's tolerance for plugs is high.

So an old Tesla can't use the latest chargers by design then. Or Tesla's tolerance for plugs is high.
Tesla's tolerances are looser. All inter-mate fine. A service center will likely have the oldest Gen 1 chargers.

I'll just Dremmel the MiniTap a few mm then.
You just need to open it up by a a little bit, maybe a tenth of a mm around the two top "corners".

Be careful not to gouge the connector pins inside! Good luck.

Be careful not to gouge the connector pins inside! Good luck.
Just to clarify, I need to enlarge the opening at the corners, corresponding to the 10 o'clock and 2 o'clock positions, perhaps a few mm on the circumference, but only a tenth of a mm deep?
Thanks, again

Attachments

• Minitap.jpg
    Minitap.jpg
    397.7 KB · Views: 91
Just to clarify, I need to enlarge the opening at the corners, corresponding to the 10 o'clock and 2 o'clock positions, perhaps a few mm on the circumference, but only a tenth of a mm deep?
Thanks, again
That's what worked for mine. I determined where to remove material by force-fitting it into my Tesla charger and looking at the position of the scratches on the Tesla charger's male connector after un-mating. The main problem was on the sides near the top - from inside the top two corners down to about left and right of the two big connector pins.

That's what worked for mine. I determined where to remove material by force-fitting it into my Tesla charger and looking at the position of the scratches on the Tesla charger's male connector after un-mating. The main problem was on the sides near the top - from inside the top two corners down to about left and right of the two big connector pins.
So I'll start at the corners, then going South.
Thanks, @DeaneG.

It would be helpful, if you can, to find a willing friend or neighbor with a Gen 2 Tesla Wall Connector (circa 2018-2020) and test fit it there as you dremel or file. I don't know if the current Gen 3 Tesla Wall Connector has the same sized male plug - the Gen 3 unit can only handle 48 amps on a 60-amp circuit, while the Gen 2 can do 80 amps on a 100-amp circuit. The cable and plug are different between the two.

It would be helpful, if you can, to find a willing friend or neighbor with a Gen 2 Tesla Wall Connector (circa 2018-2020) and test fit it there as you dremel or file. I don't know if the current Gen 3 Tesla Wall Connector has the same sized male plug - the Gen 3 unit can only handle 48 amps on a 60-amp circuit, while the Gen 2 can do 80 amps on a 100-amp circuit. The cable and plug are different between the two.
That'd be the best way. Don't plan to use it on a regular basis. Kind of a last resort when only Tesla Destination Chargers are available.

Back