Recall Details and Timeline

RichMalden

Verified Owner
Cars
AGT, 1970 MB 280SL
Here's a great article about how the recall developed. It actually makes me feel really good about it.

The only concerning thing is if the supplier had not caught the issue, how long would it have taken Lucid to discover the issue? The first incident or accident? Should a parts examination at Lucid have uncovered the problem? I have no clue how obvious this issue would have appeared upon visual inspection. The supplier claimed the issue could appear ’with extremely low cycle counts’, so I’d interpret that to mean ’early on’ in the life of the part.

I imagine most recalls in the industry are generated by customer incidents, complaints & accidents.

Interesting that the problem originated with Bilstein, one of the most-respected names in high-end suspension components. It just reminds us of how complex manufacturing and quality control can be.

FC79BB69-9D4F-463B-84C8-ED67547EB004.jpeg

Interesting comment on production/delivery numbers.

"Information from Bilstein has allowed Lucid to pinpoint 188 vehicles built and delivered to customers during the period from Oct. 22, 2021, to Jan. 9, 2022, as potentially having the defective components"

The only concerning thing is if the supplier had not caught the issue, how long would it have taken Lucid to discover the issue? The first incident or accident? Should a parts examination at Lucid have uncovered the problem? I have no clue how obvious this issue would have appeared upon visual inspection. The supplier claimed the issue could appear ’with extremely low cycle counts’, so I’d interpret that to mean ’early on’ in the life of the part.

I imagine most recalls in the industry are generated by customer incidents, complaints & accidents.
Based on what I observed, during the inspection of my car, a snap ring failure would allow the lower spring support to slide down the shock body. Hard to tell how the car would function without the spring supporting one of the front ends of the car. The good news is that the inspection can be done in minutes and given how quickly Lucid reacted Lucid should be done with the recall in a few days.

Interesting comment on production/delivery numbers.

"Information from Bilstein has allowed Lucid to pinpoint 188 vehicles built and delivered to customers during the period from Oct. 22, 2021, to Jan. 9, 2022, as potentially having the defective components"
implying that less than 188 vehicles were delivered by year end. Perhaps only 150.

The supplier is in the best position to QC and surveil post-delivery integrity, particularly with encased or assembled components. It was Bilstein's internal processes that detected the problem and helped determine its scope. Absent that vigilance, user experience is left to reveal major defects, ala Tesla and others.

implying that less than 188 vehicles were delivered by year end. Perhaps only 150.

Possibly, or if there were closer to 250 produced last year maybe only the 188 mentioned used the batches of parts that "may" have been defective and therefore subject to the recall

No, it's more like, lots #'s 10-50 had issues with the front strut assembly, so just find cars that you use that lot on

Here's a great article about how the recall developed. It actually makes me feel really good about it.

This is some PR fluff (speaking from experience here) but the timeline itself is solid. They followed all the right procedures and (very importantly) did a part containment. Stocks of parts are low due to supply chain issues that are still ongoing, so factories often are in a psuedo-JIT situation. That can throw a big monkey wrench in manufacturing and could explain some of the delays on the DE.

Well, my DE #305 shows manufacture date 12/21. So they had “built” at least that many in 2021, even if they were not all delivered in 2021.

I think Mike Tz is a bit optimistic when he states "Lucid should be done with the recall in a few days." When have they ever got anything done in a few days?

No, it's more like, lots #'s 10-50 had issues with the front strut assembly, so just find cars that you use that lot on
Do we know how the defective cars are dealt with? do they simply remove the struts and then flip the part that was installed upside down or do they have to wait for new strut assemblies from Bilstein?

I think Mike Tz is a bit optimistic when he states "Lucid should be done with the recall in a few days." When have they ever got anything done in a few days?
Hahah not an optimist. I was a portfolio risk manager for a top 500 company. I based the conclusion on the fact that Lucid inspected my car within 24 hours of the notice. Easy to do. Just turn the wheels fully clockwise and look at the part. My appointment was for 12PM and there were two appointments in Fort Lauderdale ahead of me. So it appears one person can easily inspect a lot of cars in a single day. Since there are no special tools needed anyone that works for a Lucid Service center can take a picture and send it over for evaluation.

So, has anyone heard the outcome of the Safety Recall #0001? All 203 DE vehicles should have been inspected by now. Any positive findings reported? If so, how were they resolved? Mine was negative.

Negative as well for me. They only anticipated finding it on 2-3 cars anyways, so I'm not sure we will hear much news about it.

It could be a nice, short PR piece on their proactive posture on driver safety and rapid response (unless, of course, many more than expected improper installs were found).

Back