Rear Seat Belt Tensioners

Phil

Cars
Air GT
My rear seat belt tensioners ratchet tight as soon as someone fastens them. I would expect them to cinch in a quick movement, but these will not allow the occupant to lean forward. You can’t even reach out to close the door. I have a service call in for this issue. Anyone else have this experience?

Yes, according to my sons (ages 25 and 27) who rode in the back seat last week, this happened to them as well. At least I think this is what happened to them. They were complaining about it a little bit, but not too critical about it. I hadn't thought about it until now though when I saw your post as I almost never have anyone in the back seat.

Same here, but we have a long trip coming up and will have someone in back. Hoping to have it resolved before then. I’ll follow up after our service.

Mine do not do that and I use them almost every day

My front seat belt stupidly tighten when tapping on acceleration. It’s quite frustrating because it feels like it’s trying to strangle me at times.
Same here and it can be annoying. Its kind of funny though at the same time - as if the car is trying to protect you from the 800hp

Same here and it can be annoying. Its kind of funny though at the same time - as if the car is trying to protect you from the 800hp
I haven't noticed this in my car, so I guess if you are stupid enough to drive a car with 1111HP, it's on you! ;)

Tech visited our house and of course everything worked perfectly for him. Our mistake was pulling the belt out too far before fastening. If you hear it begin to ratchet, release it and do it again. The trick is to pull it close across your body and fasten it. Don’t pull it out in front of you.

Tech visited our house and of course everything worked perfectly for him. Our mistake was pulling the belt out too far before fastening. If you hear it begin to ratchet, release it and do it again. The trick is to pull it close across your body and fasten it. Don’t pull it out in front of you.
Good to hear.

This sounds like a case of "you're using it wrong", which really means "they made it wrong" lol. Hopefully they took feedback from real world use cases. Either way my belts practically strangle me when accelerating to the point where I fight them consistently thinking I'm going to break them one day.

Genuine question, with no sarcasm: isn’t this exactly how every single other seatbelt works in every other car? Pull all the way out to ratchet (usually for car seats), and just let it retract and pull it back out for non-ratchet.

I’ve never owned a car (made in the last couple decades) that didn’t work that way?

Genuine question, with no sarcasm: isn’t this exactly how every single other seatbelt works in every other car? Pull all the way out to ratchet (usually for car seats), and just let it retract and pull it back out for non-ratchet.

I’ve never owned a car (made in the last couple decades) that didn’t work that way?
It does that so you can secure a car seat.

My rear seat belt tensioners ratchet tight as soon as someone fastens them. I would expect them to cinch in a quick movement, but these will not allow the occupant to lean forward. You can’t even reach out to close the door. I have a service call in for this issue. Anyone else have this experience?
I have the same issue in my car. It’s very frustrating for passengers riding in the back.

My wife was sitting in the back of my Touring yesterday and was complaining that the path of the seat belt was too high and therefore coming across her neck rather than her shoulder. Anyone else have this problem?

My wife was sitting in the back of my Touring yesterday and was complaining that the path of the seat belt was too high and therefore coming across her neck rather than her shoulder. Anyone else have this problem?
My daughter who is 5'2" sit the back and I have no complaints from her.

Maybe something like this may help your wife?

Or change the search to “seatbelt adjuster” which will change the angle. Haven’t had anyone say they had that problem with adults ranging from 5’ and up.

Or change the search to “seatbelt adjuster” which will change the angle. Haven’t had anyone say they had that problem with adults ranging from 5’ and up.
Thanks! She's 5'7" and I was surprised that she was so uncomfortable wearing the seat belt. I'm going to see if maybe there's a way to adjust it further.

Back