Rear Deck Creaking Noise

With that many people having a similar issue, sounds like a design issue. The one thing that drives me crazy faster than anything is random rattles/creaks/pops when driving. It's especially amplified in a quiet car.
I couldn’t agree more. I bought the Lucid for the 500 mile range and sold my “daily commuter” 2019 Model S AND a 2020 Audi S8 which I used for longer road trips. Given the Lucid‘s range and high ratings by Motor Trend/others, I thought the Lucid was a “one car solution” to my needs. Both of my prior cars were very quiet. The rattling/creaking of the Lucid is driving me crazy! And now the cracked window is really making me question my decision. There is actually a YouTube video review (can’t remember who did it but I watched it before buying the car) where the reviewer (who is driving a “pre-production” version of the Air GT) notices a noise coming from the rear seat area. He mentions it while he is driving by saying something like: “oh, what was that noise…well maybe that is just part of a pre-production model and they will get this worked out in the production model“. It certainly seems like a design issue. Customer Care is picking up my car this Thursday (and providing me with a “rental“ car from Hertz “at no cost” to me). I’ll let you know what happens next….

I'm sure people have narrowed it down to the rear deck but I have noticed that sometimes I get a clinking sound from the metal latch of the passenger's seatbelt against the side pillar. There is a little notch it can rest in on the pillar that makes it quieter but it doesn't always set in there properly or stay there.

Just make sure that is not where it is coming from.
Definitely not the seat belts. I have had people in the both back seats (wearing the seat belts) and the noise/rattle/creaking is definitely coming from the shelf behind the seats (and I believe I have isolated it to where the shelf meets the rear window which is where the window is now cracked). The noise continues whether or not people are in the rear seats and whether or not the back seats are up or in the down position.

I have the exact same clink/creak when going over bumps. My local tech believes it is the parcel shelf. We’re getting another one ordered before he tries to take mine apart and repair it.
Same sound here. Keep us posted! Pictures!

My sound was muted randomly today (music, warning, turn signals, etc). So a nice quiet ride to work. I noticed the noise from the rear deck as well.

Same sound here. Keep us posted! Pictures!
Here are some pictures. The right rear window has the cracks and is about where the creaking noise seems to be coming from. The creaking was noticeable since the day I purchased the car (10/14/22). The crack I only noticed a few days ago. The other picture is of the same location on the left rear. Notice how misaligned the meeting of the truck lid and rear quarter panel is. My opinion is the entire back end of the car is not properly fit together.

Attachments

• 7FFB40FB-780E-47D1-B87C-0235F2C239C7.jpeg
    7FFB40FB-780E-47D1-B87C-0235F2C239C7.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 140
  • 3335AE61-0D70-43B5-8684-D2B8A791F7F5.jpeg
    3335AE61-0D70-43B5-8684-D2B8A791F7F5.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 151
Hmmm…I got mine 10/14/22 too and I have similar gapping in portions of the trim around the rear window as well. We must have had the same drunk line worker attaching our trunk lids and rear windows.
Curious as to how these type quality issues with trim gaps, broken fasteners, and possible trunk alignment problems make it out of the factory... "Within spec" is not an answer for Quality Control. Hope Lucid isn't taking the approach of get the car in the field and we'll fix it there if the owner complains. Fixing a problem at the source is always cheaper (and better) than fixing it downstream in the field...

With that many people having a similar issue, sounds like a design issue. The one thing that drives me crazy faster than anything is random rattles/creaks/pops when driving. It's especially amplified in a quiet car.
10 people reporting the same issue over a 5 day period doesn’t point to a design issue. It’s bad that this many people in a small community are reporting the same issue and I’m glad I don’t have it (yet) but if the design caused the creak, this thread would already be many pages long by now. Is it the parcel shelf, misalignment of the rear end, broken clips causing shifting, it could be several owners have different causes manifesting as a creak. Let’s wait and see what is reported when this issue is hopefully fixed by the owners reporting this problem. I know that’s no fun because the most active threads are powered by our guesses, conjectures, and personal interpretations of a word or phrase and I’ve enjoyed jumping into some of them.

10 people reporting the same issue over a 5 day period doesn’t point to a design issue. It’s bad that this many people in a small community are reporting the same issue and I’m glad I don’t have it (yet) but if the design caused the creak, this thread would already be many pages long by now. Is it the parcel shelf, misalignment of the rear end, broken clips causing shifting, it could be several owners have different causes manifesting as a creak. Let’s wait and see what is reported when this issue is hopefully fixed by the owners reporting this problem. I know that’s no fun because the most active threads are powered by our guesses, conjectures, and personal interpretations of a word or phrase and I’ve enjoyed jumping into some of them.
I'm not one to be on a witch hunt. Mayhaps this is isolated to 10 people. But given the nature of the issue and how quickly those 10 people popped up in what is overall a fairly small community of owners, it feels more systemic than random. No need to bust out the pitchforks, but random squeaks and rattles will kill the experience for me personally faster than even glitchy software.

I'm not one to be on a witch hunt. Mayhaps this is isolated to 10 people. But given the nature of the issue and how quickly those 10 people popped up in what is overall a fairly small community of owners, it feels more systemic than random. No need to bust out the pitchforks, but random squeaks and rattles will kill the experience for me personally faster than even glitchy software.

I am going to contact service about mine and see what they say. Will follow up

I couldn’t agree more. I bought the Lucid for the 500 mile range and sold my “daily commuter” 2019 Model S AND a 2020 Audi S8 which I used for longer road trips. Given the Lucid‘s range and high ratings by Motor Trend/others, I thought the Lucid was a “one car solution” to my needs. Both of my prior cars were very quiet. The rattling/creaking of the Lucid is driving me crazy! And now the cracked window is really making me question my decision. There is actually a YouTube video review (can’t remember who did it but I watched it before buying the car) where the reviewer (who is driving a “pre-production” version of the Air GT) notices a noise coming from the rear seat area. He mentions it while he is driving by saying something like: “oh, what was that noise…well maybe that is just part of a pre-production model and they will get this worked out in the production model“. It certainly seems like a design issue. Customer Care is picking up my car this Thursday (and providing me with a “rental“ car from Hertz “at no cost” to me). I’ll let you know what happens next….
My car has no rattles or creaks, so if it’s a design issue it isn’t one that can’t be fixed.

I have the same issue and believe it's coming from here. Have a rear bumper repair scheduled anyway so they will check this too.

Creaks and rattles bother me, but not my wife! Lol. This many issues at the beginning makes me think that more creaks and rattles are coming over the next few years of ownership. I hope not!

The only creak or rattle or stutter I hear is from my rear sunshade...everytime it goes back up it stutters its way to pull back up!

I have the same issue and believe it's coming from here. Have a rear bumper repair scheduled anyway so they will check this too.

Yes! That is where it is coming from in my car (but on the opposite/right rear corner of that deck).

Oh you found it! That's the same thing on my car although I cannot push on the deck to reproduce it(maybe not pushing hard enough?)

Oh you found it! That's the same thing on my car although I cannot push on the deck to reproduce it(maybe not pushing hard enough?)
That is exactly the same spot on my car, and exactly the sound I get when I go over a bump or a rut. It’s as if it needs a layer of foam insulation underneath it or some felt space it from the adjacent pieces and window.

I too have the loud creak/pop on bumps… from the beginning. I do not think it’s related to the trunk issue Badger is experiencing which seems like a bigger issue. Our creak is definitely inside the car and more likely to do with dissimilar materials rubbing as like Jri.

OK, I have this one figured out. In my case, it is the leather of the rear deck material rubbing against the rear window on both sides, near the lateral edge of that piece (see pictures). I noticed that it is a bit more pronounced on warmer days… That makes sense if the leather is a bit more sticky. I inserted some foam pieces (the soft half of Velcro strips) in between the areas where the creek seems to arise in at 100% fixed it. I think the solution will be to remove the rear deck install some sort of black felt material on there. Service is coming tomorrow so I'll ask him about it.
IMG_2736.jpeg
IMG_2737.jpeg

Back