Real world mileage: boston to NYC

Try cruise control.

I get 2.5-2.7 when handling it myself, and 2.9-3.1 on a DE-P when using cruise control (this is with climate, massage seats, etc, etc, on)

Regen is a very big part of EV driving to get the best efficiency. To be fair, the same exact conditions impact gas cars, its just not as noticeable as MPG is usually not tracked anywhere near as close as KwH
This is accurate. With ACC I normally get 3.6-3.9, particularly on our road trip to San Diego and back.

But if you look at the overall mi/kWh, it's ~2, because when I'm driving it I'm driving it, hehe.

@imran : Are you in the Boston area? I know that there's at least one Dream Edition in Massachusetts. You might be the first Grand Touring I've heard about.

Did you do the Pike to 84 to get from Boston to NYC? Or down the 95 corridor?
Yes I live in Belmont. Took my usual route if 95 to mass like to 84 to Merritt parkway and back. Have been reading how ppl are getting 3.1+, beats the heck out of me.. maybe I’ll try cruise control and see if that Makes a difference..

Yes I live in Belmont. Took my usual route if 95 to mass like to 84 to Merritt parkway and back. Have been reading how ppl are getting 3.1+, beats the heck out of me.. maybe I’ll try cruise control and see if that Makes a difference..

That’s my usual route, too, so your mileage is disappointing. I hope you at least had fun driving on the Merritt with the Lucid. A fun road when there’s not too much traffic.

I don‘t think we get the luxury of wide open roads and steady cruising speeds like a lot of people out West experience. It’s just massholes and potholes.

Set regen to high. It makes a massive difference.

That’s my usual route, too, so your mileage is disappointing. I hope you at least had fun driving on the Merritt with the Lucid. A fun road when there’s not too much traffic.

I don‘t think we get the luxury of wide open roads and steady cruising speeds like a lot of people out West experience. It’s just massholes and potholes.
Massholes...🤣

This is my first forum posting. Got my GTR yesterday. Many people here have posted using mi/kWh figures. Is that something that you calculated, or is there somewhere in the menus where one can see those statistics. I agree that there are lots of “holes” in the menus at this point.

This is my first forum posting. Got my GTR yesterday. Many people here have posted using mi/kWh figures. Is that something that you calculated, or is there somewhere in the menus where one can see those statistics. I agree that there are lots of “holes” in the menus at this point.
It's on the instrument cluster, left side

Did my first trip from boston to NYC today. Despite my best efforts could get no more than 2.5 miles per kw on the entire trip which means I had to charge on these back and finding the EA charger in Stamford is a PAIN. There’s no signs in the parking lots and we drive around for 30 mins befire the cop told us it was in the lower level of a specific parking lot. Wish the EA app would say that!!

Nit sure where the advertised 520 mile range comes from but I have beirne been able to charge rk higher than 467 or get anywhere close to that! I have a grand touring
Sorry I don't really think in terms of m/kw, would you elucidate on what your actual miles driven is before you have to recharge and what are the percentages you get down to before you do recharge? [ in other words, you get down to 10% and then recharge to 100%, so your total miles driven utilized 90% of the battery. If you drove 300mi on this, then Your True Range is 330mi] When I was younger I used to think about how many mpg I got in my cars, but nowdays I really think in terms of how many miles I can go before I have to make another trip to the gas station. Personally I really don't pay a lot of attention to mpg (or probably m/kw when I get my car) because everyone's driving style and conditions are different. Your True Range is going to be something consistent unless you change how you drive, and for most of us that doesn't really happen quickly, but over a long time as we get older, move to different places, etc...

... Your True Range is going to be something consistent unless you change how you drive, and for most of us that doesn't really happen quickly, but over a long time as we get older, move to different places, etc...
In an EV, your range will vary dramatically with rain, cold, wind, and elevation change. Near California's coast for example, most of the time a trip south will see greater efficiency and range than a trip north due to the generally northerly wind.

Last edited:
I think your range in an ICE car will also vary due to the same constraints...if you take a regular gasoline/diesel car and go up some mountains and against the wind and drive fast and aggressively you will have a lot less range as well. The only thing that is unique to EV's seems to be cold weather where they lose more "range" than an ICE because the ICE's waste engine heat is used to warm the car and occupants, whereas the EV doesn't make waste heat and so therefore you have to use battery power to heat up the car, thereby losing that power which would normally be available for driving. Consumer Reports recommends that in cold weather climates you be aware of this and plan accordingly. In fact they said that you might lose up to 50% of the range of a car because of this as it gets really cold. AAA tests said up to 41% loss. Imran you said Boston and the weather is in the 50's/40's right now so that probably added some loss right there. I guess you'll notice a True Range in the winter of X and in the summer of Y (which should be more). For the record I lived in Boston for 5 years and my range and mileage varied during the winter and summer as well.

In an EV, your range will vary dramatically with rain, cold, wind, and elevation change. Near California's coast for example, most of the time a trip south will see greater efficiency and range than a trip north due to the generally northerly wind.

Absolutely. On my PHEV, running in pure electric mode, the drive from my house to the Scottsdale Fashion Square (where the Lucid design studio is located) is downhill approximately 160 feet. I find that my range is a lot better of that downward ride than coming back uphill.

I just got back from my first drive of any distance in my Air GT w/ 21" wheels. Steady freeway driving after charging to 80% at an off-freeway EA 350kW charger got me 3.1 mi/kWh. Temp was 70-73F, 18mph cross wind, flat Texas highway all driven on cruise control at the speed limit that varied from 60-70 for about 80 miles. Next I drove an 18 mile twisty section mostly at 45mph with a tailwind and got 3.2 mi/kWh.
I have played with hypermiling other cars and might be able to squeeze a bit better out of the Lucid, but it won't be easy. Fortunately my two EA charging sessions were crazy fast. The big battery will make up for any consumption deficiencies.

Did my first trip from boston to NYC today. Despite my best efforts could get no more than 2.5 miles per kw on the entire trip which means I had to charge on these back and finding the EA charger in Stamford is a PAIN. There’s no signs in the parking lots and we drive around for 30 mins befire the cop told us it was in the lower level of a specific parking lot. Wish the EA app would say that!!

Nit sure where the advertised 520 mile range comes from but I have beirne been able to charge rk higher than 467 or get anywhere close to that! I have a grand touring
How many miles do you have on your GT?

I just got back from my first drive of any distance in my Air GT w/ 21" wheels. Steady freeway driving after charging to 80% at an off-freeway EA 350kW charger got me 3.1 mi/kWh. Temp was 70-73F, 18mph cross wind, flat Texas highway all driven on cruise control at the speed limit that varied from 60-70 for about 80 miles. Next I drove an 18 mile twisty section mostly at 45mph with a tailwind and got 3.2 mi/kWh.
I have played with hypermiling other cars and might be able to squeeze a bit better out of the Lucid, but it won't be easy. Fortunately my two EA charging sessions were crazy fast. The big battery will make up for any consumption deficiencies.
That 18mph crosswind probably had a significant detriment to your efficiency

I have to accept that the stated range is not what I am going to get in real world driving. Because I hardly ever drive in ideal conditions.

That should be mantra for EV owners. Lol. It seems to mainly apply to Tesla and now Lucid owners, lol. There was a thread here where most people are getting 70-90% of what was advertised. Perhaps Lucid was also very generous with their modifiers for the epa calculations.

Don’t hate the player, hate the game.

hydbob, you have had the car for almost 5 months now. What is your take on True Range for yourself with your style of driving, whatever that may be? Do you think in your mind, its about 250, or 300, or something else for your daily/weekly use?

Back