Range question

Won’t work with the dryer to split current as you would need full current for it, but perhaps the EVSE can pull current when the dryer is complete. Not an electrician and haven’t looked into it since we have plenty of space on our panel, but it might be worth exploring.

Edit: Found this. Might be your solution -

You can use a Wallbox Pulsar Plus for this along with their Power Boost CT in the sub panel.

Thanks. But I don't think that will work as the electrician said he had to completely rearrange the box to even get me the 20 amp circuit on my 225 amp service.
There is no point in checking the wire size if your breaker box can't handle the additional load. This only works if the wire size is the limiting factor and not the main feed.

Not to change the subject from wire size, but these results are pretty shocking. MoniputerLM said they drove 210 miles and the computer said they had 80 miles left (given the story I doubt it would've done all 80). That is only 290mi on a 450mi advertised car. I understand it was cold and it's more than any EV, but 300 mile range still isn't enough for me to switch from gas. 300 miles actually means planning on 210 mile trips (300 * 70%, for running between 10-80% charge), hence MoniputerLM's trip when he/she easily should have made the 300 mile trip. I have a reservation for a Grand Touring and got the email to confirm. I have a test drive scheduled next weekend and I'm going to do my best to get some brief data. But if I can only plan on 230 miles trips (500 advertised * 65% actual * 70% buffers), this isn't the car I've been waiting for. Particularly surprised because 70mph test are showing pretty close to 500mi. And I'm surprised this is "normal." I can't believe people are so happy with their Tesla's if base models are only getting 175 miles (267*65%), and they can really only pull off 122 miles for planning purposes.

And this doesn't just have implications of stopping more often. It also means each stop IS longer. Because 1 mile charged isn't 1 mile, it is only 0.65 miles. You think you're putting in 100 miles of range but it is only 65 miles. So you need to charge longer too.

Am I overreacting? At what point do you get to claim the car is a lemon and send it back or is there fine print saying the car may only get 50-60% of its advertised range?

Not to change the subject from wire size, but these results are pretty shocking. MoniputerLM said they drove 210 miles and the computer said they had 80 miles left (given the story I doubt it would've done all 80). That is only 290mi on a 450mi advertised car. I understand it was cold and it's more than any EV, but 300 mile range still isn't enough for me to switch from gas. 300 miles actually means planning on 210 mile trips (300 * 70%, for running between 10-80% charge), hence MoniputerLM's trip when he/she easily should have made the 300 mile trip. I have a reservation for a Grand Touring and got the email to confirm. I have a test drive scheduled next weekend and I'm going to do my best to get some brief data. But if I can only plan on 230 miles trips (500 advertised * 65% actual * 70% buffers), this isn't the car I've been waiting for. Particularly surprised because 70mph test are showing pretty close to 500mi. And I'm surprised this is "normal." I can't believe people are so happy with their Tesla's if base models are only getting 175 miles (267*65%), and they can really only pull off 122 miles for planning purposes.

And this doesn't just have implications of stopping more often. It also means each stop IS longer. Because 1 mile charged isn't 1 mile, it is only 0.65 miles. You think you're putting in 100 miles of range but it is only 65 miles. So you need to charge longer too.

Am I overreacting? At what point do you get to claim the car is a lemon and send it back or is there fine print saying the car may only get 50-60% of its advertised range?
Not the same drive, but I got 80% of advertised range. EPA on the DE is 451 miles, and I got 360+. Also not traveling 70mph.

I'm not saying you are correct or incorrect, but in general I wouldn't let a need to charge once on a long trip prevent you from buying an EV. In general, whatever freeway range an EV is actually capable of at 70mph, you'd want to go about 60% of that distance per leg between charges (charging from 20% to 80% at each stop). This could translate to a 20-minute stop every three or four hours, not bad. In our limited-range XC40 EV it means a stop every 90 minutes, which is a bit much, but we do arrive at our destination relaxed and comfortable.

Also - if you have a daily commute of X miles, you'll want to look for an EV with at least 2x and preferably 3x that much "EPA range".

Last edited:
This thread is deeply concerning. I knew that there was no chance the Air would outperform it’s EPA range like the EQS, Taycan, Mach-E and some others - but I was hoping it would be close to what’s advertised. It seems like Lucid really is Tesla 2.0 with artificially inflated impossible to achieve EPA numbers. One of the reasons I am looking to get away from Tesla is the overinflated range numbers, from this thread it seems like Lucid is just up the same tricks.

One of the reasons I am looking to get away from Tesla is the overinflated range numbers, from this thread it seems like Lucid is just up the same tricks.
I'm not sure if this was mentioned higher up on the thread, but Tom Moloughney drove 70mph on the Lucid Air until the battery was depleted and got 500.1 miles of range. See

It would be more or less unheard of for a car to achieve its EPA range at a constant 70mph. EPA range is stated for a mix of low-speed and high-speed driving. Freeway range is always going to be less than EPA range.

First, that was one drive, and from someone who is new to EVs (if I am recalling the right story). There is an art to driving them in order to get the most range, which is part of what makes driving them so enjoyable. If that is your goal, you can figure it out rather quickly. For instance, going fast from a standstill uses up a lot of energy, even though it is really fun to do. Learning to slow using regen instead of your brakes gains range. Most people will try to maximize range on trips, but won't necessarily drive the same way on a daily basis. That is what I usually do, though I have been having fun playing around with the Air's regen.

I took a short trip with my family yesterday to test out my range. About 68 miles each way - terrain ranged from small mountains to flat, but almost all highway. There was some traffic, but I drove 40-50 in the mountains and 65-75 the rest of the way. I used 28% of range, or 144 miles. Not too bad, if I do say so myself.

On the charging, I have been using Tesla superchargers for 5 years. I have one 2 miles away from my house, so sometimes I will just charge there since it is free and faster than charging at home. To add 100 miles of charge is usually 35-40 minutes, as they slow down significantly after the first 20 minutes. I have already charged my GT twice, just to test it out. I am stunned by how fast it charges, and I am not using the high powered EA chargers, just their regular ones. The first time I charged a little over 100 miles in 19 minutes, the second time 150 miles in 25 minutes. This is simply a whole other level.

Last edited:
This thread is deeply concerning. I knew that there was no chance the Air would outperform it’s EPA range like the EQS, Taycan, Mach-E and some others - but I was hoping it would be close to what’s advertised. It seems like Lucid really is Tesla 2.0 with artificially inflated impossible to achieve EPA numbers. One of the reasons I am looking to get away from Tesla is the overinflated range numbers, from this thread it seems like Lucid is just up the same tricks.
If you feel this way you should cancel. Tom did his 70mph test, just like he tests all other vehicles and the Lucid (from what I remember) was way up there in terms of efficiency and being able to get close to it's stated EPA numbers by a wide margin.

Just remember there are 2 different tests accepted by the EPA, the 2-cycle and 5-cycle. Typically, anyone using the 5-cycle will never reach the EPA number whereas anyone using the 2-cycle will do better than the EPA number.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong about the above!

I'm not sure if this was mentioned higher up on the thread, but Tom Moloughney drove 70mph on the Lucid Air until the battery was depleted and got 500.1 miles of range. See
Nice review. Curious how Tom got back to the EA charging station when the car already ran out of juice and was unresponsive. Lucid must have followed him with a flatbed.

Nice review. Curious how Tom got back to the EA charging station when the car already ran out of juice and was unresponsive. Lucid must have followed him with a flatbed.
He was driving the ring road around the mall where the charger was located. I think he mentioned in it the podcast

He was driving the ring road around the mall where the charger was located. I think he mentioned in it the podcast
Yeah, but he mentioned that he was pushing hard until the car was literally dead. i would assume that when this happened, he was at some random spot on the 101 loop.

You're right. AFAIK, Lucid and Tesla are the only companies that run the 5 cycle test while everyone else does the 2 cycle. With the 5 cycle, it runs 5 different scenarios and they take the average and it gets reported. With the 2 cycle, you only run the city traffic and highway speed test, average then subtract 20%. The subtraction of 20% is what allows cars to closely approximate or beat the posted EPA range.

Why Tesla falls so short of the EPA range, I don't know but it is amazing that Lucid has consistently been close to EPA range in published range tests conducted by people that do this type of testing.

If you feel this way you should cancel. Tom did his 70mph test, just like he tests all other vehicles and the Lucid (from what I remember) was way up there in terms of efficiency and being able to get close to it's stated EPA numbers by a wide margin.

Just remember there are 2 different tests accepted by the EPA, the 2-cycle and 5-cycle. Typically, anyone using the 5-cycle will never reach the EPA number whereas anyone using the 2-cycle will do better than the EPA number.

Lucid came within like 4% of the epa number. Phenomenal as Tesla usually is 13% or so off in all tests. But, Tom’s test is a bit unrealistic as it’s the same back and forth loop with little altitude change. Still, his results are clearly possible depending on driving conditions, and on a car with this much range, the amount it misses is negligible.

Yeah, but he mentioned that he was pushing hard until the car was literally dead. i would assume that when this happened, he was at some random spot on the 101 loop.
No, he said that he got off where he was going to charge (he did a charging test after the drive) and drove the ring road around the mall where the charger was located.

Lucid came within like 4% of the epa number. Phenomenal as Tesla usually is 13% or so off in all tests. But, Tom’s test is a bit unrealistic as it’s the same back and forth loop with little altitude change. Still, his results are clearly possible depending on driving conditions, and on a car with this much range, the amount it misses is negligible.
Yea but the whole point is that in all their tests they try and replicate the conditions just with the cars being the biggest variable. Either way, the DEP has plenty range for me, biggest time constraints are the kids bladders.

It is also a good idea to check the tire pressure. The tire pressure drops considerably with temperature. Most people don't bother checking. I started testing the miles/kWh on the DEP by resetting the trip B every time I am on a clear 70MPH flat surface. The best I am able to achieve is 3.3 Miles/kWh. Temperatures in the mid to high 70's. The same run on the Plaid yields around 3.1Miles/kWh. The runs were not made on the same day. Truth be told I much prefer driving the DEP so I only made one run with the plaid. Both were at 80% SOC where I like to keep it. BTW this Milwaukee compressor is the best I have ever used and it is worth every penny. This is the compressor the TESLA rangers use when servicing the cars.
My Tesla just alerted me on the dash when tire pressure was low. Lucids don’t do this?

You're right. AFAIK, Lucid and Tesla are the only companies that run the 5 cycle test while everyone else does the 2 cycle.
I think Tom mentioned Audi and Polestar also do 5-cycle test, too.

Yea but the whole point is that in all their tests they try and replicate the conditions just with the cars being the biggest variable. Either way, the DEP has plenty range for me, biggest time constraints are the kids bladders.
They do what they can, sure. His route was picked in conjunction with Lucid for this test as he states in the video. It takes nothing away from it, it’s an amazing amount of range no doubt.

Back