Range question

Gotta be something wrong. The lowest I’ve seen on my 21 Sportback is 160 in the NY winter with 170 being more typical. 110 is just crazy low.
I have the First Edition. It's a few years older than yours ;)

Gotta be something wrong. The lowest I’ve seen on my 21 Sportback is 160 in the NY winter with 170 being more typical. 110 is just crazy low.
Our first full EV was a Ford Focus Electric. 79 mile range, got about 70 most of the time.
Fun fact: We traded it in to Tesla for 3-4K more than anyone else was willing to pay (in CA you might as well shop around on selling a vehicle, no sales tax credit)
It then sat at Tesla for 4 months before moving, and ended up for sale at some used car dealership in Iraq. We know this because until someone bought it, it never got deactivated from the Ford app where we could track its location :)

Multiplying 3 x the battery size times the SOC works great for both the Tesla and the Lucid.
I have been using size x3 with the Lucid, Taycan, and the Plaid and it is reasonably accurate for South Florida. I find the Lucid can easily do an additional 70 miles on a full charge.

I have the First Edition. It's a few years older than yours ;)
I have the 2019 e-Tron and in summer can get 210 to 220 miles on the freeway sitting on 70mph which was before the powertrain update. Since the powertrain update where they unlocked more range i'm seeing 200 on a full charge which is surprising given its winter.

The last trip I did to SF from LA I stopped for 1 x 18 min charge only when in the past it's been 2 stops or at least 1 x 30+ min charge

I have the 2019 e-Tron and in summer can get 210 to 220 miles on the freeway sitting on 70mph which was before the powertrain update. Since the powertrain update where they unlocked more range i'm seeing 200 on a full charge which is surprising given its winter.

The last trip I did to SF from LA I stopped for 1 x 18 min charge only when in the past it's been 2 stops or at least 1 x 30+ min charge
So please entertain my ignorance with an EV. I am in Atlanta. I have a second home in Jacksonville. My criteria for an EV was so I could make the trip without charging. Most trips I stop to use the Bathroom often no stops. I have a s560 and with the autonomous features it is a breeze. My expectations for a Grand touring 21 in tires was to go 78mph in the dead of summer AC running hard with no charging. Am I fooling myself?

So please entertain my ignorance with an EV. I am in Atlanta. I have a second home in Jacksonville. My criteria for an EV was so I could make the trip without charging. Most trips I stop to use the Bathroom often no stops. I have a s560 and with the autonomous features it is a breeze. My expectations for a Grand touring 21 in tires was to go 78mph in the dead of summer AC running hard with no charging. Am I fooling myself?
ITs 380 miles

You are cutting it close, and more than likely will require a charge. 78 mph is a severe range cut, add in the 21” wheels and climate, I would bet you’ll need to stop for a brief top up.

I just drove 300 miles round trip with the cruise set at 79 driving North/South on the Florida Turnpike. The temperature was 80 degrees no clouds but windy. Arrived home with 57 miles left. Started with a full charge but did not precondition the battery. I suspect you will be getting similar results. The good news is that a 5-10 minute stop will give you a quick 100 plus -mile additional range and extra kW to blow a few S560 doors along the way.

Wind will likely be the largest factor as to how far you can drive without stopping =)

I just drove 300 miles round trip with the cruise set at 79 driving North/South on the Florida Turnpike. The temperature was 80 degrees no clouds but windy. Arrived home with 57 miles left. Started with a full charge but did not precondition the battery. I suspect you will be getting similar results. The good news is that a 5-10 minute stop will give you a quick 100 plus -mile additional range and extra kW to blow a few S560 doors along the way.

So long as one can find a fast charger.

Wind will likely be the largest factor as to how far you can drive without stopping =)
Agree. I can do a trip from LA to SF on one stop in my e-Tron. One day the headwind was so bad I had to do 3 stops. Would've been awesome on efficiency if I was going the other direction though :p

One question. When you say you started with a full charge, do you mean a 100% charge or an 80% (or some other less than 100% charge for battery protection) charge?

One question. When you say you started with a full charge, do you mean a 100% charge or an 80% (or some other less than 100% charge for battery protection) charge?
100% SOC and tires to spec. I have made this trip many times with the Plaid and had to stop for a quick charge on the way back. The DEP seems to have an easy 70 Plus mile advantage. Concrete roads surfaces common to South Florida are a big negative for both cars. Also the Plaid is running on Michelins so its not apples to apples. I would love to swap tires and try the DEP with the Tesla tires. but I cant find reliable info on the subject.

Quickly checking PlugShare there are multiple high speed chargers along 75. For example the one in Lake City appears to be next to a Shell station. Pull into the charger, plug in, run to the bathroom at the Shell station, and by the time you get back after 10 minutes you'll probably have plenty of range to complete the rest of the trip.

You'll find a couple of chargers that work for you and make them your regular stops.

100% SOC and tires to spec. I have made this trip many times with the Plaid and had to stop for a quick charge on the way back. The DEP seems to have an easy 70 Plus mile advantage. Concrete roads surfaces common to South Florida are a big negative for both cars. Also the Plaid is running on Michelins so its not apples to apples. I would love to swap tires and try the DEP with the Tesla tires. but I cant find reliable info on the subject.

So you are getting about a tad more than 70% based on the weather and your driving style. If one is going to only charge to 80%, that would reduce your range to about 280 miles. If one extrapolates to a Touring or Pure with 400 EPA miles of range, that would mean an 80% range of 320 EPA miles and an effective range of about 225 miles.

Am I missing something here?

So you are getting about a tad more than 70% based on the weather and your driving style. If one is going to only charge to 80%, that would reduce your range to about 280 miles. If one extrapolates to a Touring or Pure with 400 EPA miles of range, that would mean an 80% range of 320 EPA miles and an effective range of about 225 miles.

80% of 320 is 256. But as a daily if you need more you can just charge to full everyday.

80% of 320 is 256. But as a daily if you need more you can just charge to full everyday.

The reason I am doing all this calculation is that I am limited to a 20 amp dedicated 240 circuit unless I want to trench my lawn and bring in another 200 amp line). So my plan would be to do maintenance charging at home and occasionally toping off at a SA fast charger to build up the base.

80% SOC on a Touring should deliver 250miles plus under the conditions that I described. I do take the trip often so I will do another 300 mile with 80% SOC. So far, the math comes out to around 2.9-3.1 Miles/ kWh driving in the 70's the variance being due to weather. Clearly no where near the 4.1 Tom demonstrated on YouTube.

80% SOC on a Touring should deliver 250miles plus under the conditions that I described. I do take the trip often so I will do another 300 mile with 80% SOC. So far, the math comes out to around 2.9-3.1 Miles/ kWh driving in the 70's the variance being due to weather. Clearly no where near the 4.1 Tom demonstrated on YouTube.

But still better than almost anyone else. Thanks again. I look forward to your 80% test.

Back