• NOTICE (May 14 - 11:00 PM - 1:00 AM ET)

LucidOwners.com server will be down for maintenance during this scheduled time.
    Please note there will be a period of time when the forum is unaccessible. Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Range on the Touring with 20” Aero wheels

nautchilous

Verified Owner
Cars
Lucid Air Touring
Anybody know the actual range of the touring model with 20” wheels. The 19” wheels comes with a range of 425 miles. I noticed on other models the range drop about 40 + miles from the 19” to 21”….I would assume the 20” would be less since a smaller and lighter wheel when compared to the 21”.

I remember seeing somewhere 406 miles, but don’t remember if that accurate. I haven’t heard of any real world range tests of the touring.

I remember seeing somewhere 406 miles, but don’t remember if that accurate. I haven’t heard of any real world range tests of the touring.
Turn off this setting under climate.

Attachments

• 4D8BE991-3259-43EE-95A6-5AA700121E74.jpeg
    4D8BE991-3259-43EE-95A6-5AA700121E74.jpeg
    626.2 KB · Views: 356
  • DEF93B75-B56D-4121-8F92-30AD0BFC68B8.jpeg
    DEF93B75-B56D-4121-8F92-30AD0BFC68B8.jpeg
    627.6 KB · Views: 354
I sat in a Touring yesterday, and at ~99% charge it showed 402 miles of range. Studio advisor stated it was between 405 and 408 when fully charged. Real world mileage will obviously vary.

I sat in a Touring yesterday, and at ~99% charge it showed 402 miles of range. Studio advisor stated it was between 405 and 408 when fully charged.
That's pretty close to the 425 you get with the 19s. I assume that car had 20s?

Anybody know the actual range of the touring model with 20” wheels. The 19” wheels comes with a range of 425 miles. I noticed on other models the range drop about 40 + miles from the 19” to 21”….I would assume the 20” would be less since a smaller and lighter wheel when compared to the 21”.

With the hubcap on, it has same range as the 19". The 20" weight LESS than the 19"

Wait a second, the same? It must be software limited then..
Not necessarily; they spent a long time on the 20” wheels and their aero, plus it’s a completely different rubber compound, and from a different manufacturer (Michelin vs Pirelli).

The lower Cd of the Pure is also largely due to the new wheels, so it’s not necessarily software limited.

Not necessarily; they spent a long time on the 20” wheels and their aero, plus it’s a completely different rubber compound, and from a different manufacturer (Michelin vs Pirelli).

The lower Cd of the Pure is also largely due to the new wheels, so it’s not necessarily software limited.
Sorry, I wasn't talking about the 20s, I meant the 19s. If it's the same here, why not for the 19s?(425 vs 410)

It's probably too early to ask the question but do you think this wheel may have the same scratch issue seen in the 21", i.e. do people need to take the cover off upon delivery?

It's probably too early to ask the question but do you think this wheel may have the same scratch issue seen in the 21", i.e. do people need to take the cover off upon delivery?
Absolutely no idea. I imagine they must’ve reworked it after those first issues, but you’d have to talk to someone with the 20s to know for sure.

Absolutely no idea. I imagine they must’ve reworked it after those first issues, but you’d have to talk to someone with the 20s to know for sure.
Thanks.
I hope so, especially since they look nice with the covers on, plus I'm too disorganized to find them again once I take them off.

Range is always an interesting topic since everyone's driving style is different and the routes/conditions in which we drive also vary. However, I have detailed my experience thus far below, but this is just one data point so take it with a grain of salt.

My Touring has 20" Aero lite wheels with the aero inserts left installed. After 2,500 miles of driving including an LA-SF and back trip, the lifetime efficiency number is 3.1mi/kwh. Given the 92kwh total battery pack capacity, the math says the real world range at that efficiency is 285miles. Charging only to 80% for daily driving the effective real world range becomes 228miles. When route planning I use 200miles as a comfortable number.

I think the 20" wheels do contribute to an efficiency penalty, but I also have a large grade in my daily commute which drags down the efficiency number as well. I remember seeing a post that said elevation gain has the largest impact on range and I have found that to be true. The grade I drive is ~4miles long, but the car consumes about 13miles of stated range to climb it.

Perhaps a better way to estimate the "idealized" range penalty for the 20" wheels is this: The new published range for the Touring is 425mi with 19" wheels in EPA testing. To hit that number the efficiency value needed is 4.6mi/kwh and even on flat highway driving at 55mph on a 75F day, I haven't been able to achieve that. The best I have seen is 4.0. That would equate to 368mi of range which means the range penalty for the 20" wheels compared to the 19" wheels is ~57 "ideal" miles.

Range is always an interesting topic since everyone's driving style is different and the routes/conditions in which we drive also vary. However, I have detailed my experience thus far below, but this is just one data point so take it with a grain of salt.

My Touring has 20" Aero lite wheels with the aero inserts left installed. After 2,500 miles of driving including an LA-SF and back trip, the lifetime efficiency number is 3.1mi/kwh. Given the 92kwh total battery pack capacity, the math says the real world range at that efficiency is 285miles. Charging only to 80% for daily driving the effective real world range becomes 228miles. When route planning I use 200miles as a comfortable number.

I think the 20" wheels do contribute to an efficiency penalty, but I also have a large grade in my daily commute which drags down the efficiency number as well. I remember seeing a post that said elevation gain has the largest impact on range and I have found that to be true. The grade I drive is ~4miles long, but the car consumes about 13miles of stated range to climb it.

Perhaps a better way to estimate the "idealized" range penalty for the 20" wheels is this: The new published range for the Touring is 425mi with 19" wheels in EPA testing. To hit that number the efficiency value needed is 4.6mi/kwh and even on flat highway driving at 55mph on a 75F day, I haven't been able to achieve that. The best I have seen is 4.0. That would equate to 368mi of range which means the range penalty for the 20" wheels compared to the 19" wheels is ~57 "ideal" miles.
Finally! A touring member on the forum! Hows your car going?

Back