Pure owner review

I'm getting 2-3mi a day idling loss on my Pure. Watching it while I'm stuck here in San Diego for work but it's fine, loving the Mexican food here. A burrito a day keeps the doctor away

Oh and this Sunday my previous tenant wants to try the Pure. I've never driven a Tesla so I will try her Y Long Range in exchange. Costing almost twice, I hope my Pure handily beats it 😓
And an onion a day keeps everyone away.

@noobzilla I love your review. How do you like the metal roof? I'm not a fan of the glass roof as it was so hot during my test drive and the sun keeps glaring in my eyes. A DA I talked to tried to tell me that the metal roof conducts more heat than the glass roof. All my ICE cars got metal roofs which all keep the sun out way better than the glass roof during the test drive. Any comments or pics you can share would be greatly appreciated!

@noobzilla I love your review. How do you like the metal roof? I'm not a fan of the glass roof as it was so hot during my test drive and the sun keeps glaring in my eyes. A DA I talked to tried to tell me that the metal roof conducts more heat than the glass roof. All my ICE cars got metal roofs which all keep the sun out way better than the glass roof during the test drive. Any comments or pics you can share would be greatly appreciated!
Love the metal roof. It's much cooler than the glass because other than the metal, it has multiple layers including insulative foam and lucious alcantara that work together to block out the heat as well as 100% of the light that might glare at you in a glass roof. The metal roof's insulated layers also provides slightly better sound dampening that reduces external road and wind noises, and offers improved acoustics to enjoy the Dolby sound system inside.

One of my biggest concerns for the metal roof was decreased head clearance, but IMO it's actually better than the glass roof. The difference in head clearance is super miniscue. Additionally, if you're tall and your head is close to the ceiling, you're going to feel the heat through the glass roof vs you can get as close the ceiling of the metal roof and not feel the heat.

It's been cold since I got the car so I can't really comment regarding the heat. Havent had a chance where I had to leave the car under the sun for several hours either. Sure, metal will conduct more heat than the glass roof but the air can dissipate and cool it better too? Whatever the glass roof doesn't absorb will go to the seats and interior surfaces especially if it's black. That's my logical guess.

Light-wise...With the black interior and non glass roof it feels I'm in like an enclosed darker room. There's less area for light to come in vs my mazda3. If the sun and general daylight brightness is an issue then definitely get the metal roof.

I still like the glass roof for a more overall futuristic feel, but the metal roof is more practical. With the metal roof my car blends in better with other cars and likely gets less attention. I also don't have to worry about potential expensive glass damages.

Carpooled with a teammate for our tennis match yesterday. She drives older BMWs and likes the interior quality of the Pure. She talked about how she had seriosly considered Tesla before but backed out because she's very disappointed with their interior quality.

With the price cuts and EV credit, she's considering getting a Tesla for her daughter. She mainly wants to be able to track where the car is haha

It's been cold since I got the car so I can't really comment regarding the heat. Havent had a chance where I had to leave the car under the sun for several hours either. Sure, metal will conduct more heat than the glass roof but the air can dissipate and cool it better too? Whatever the glass roof doesn't absorb will go to the seats and interior surfaces especially if it's black. That's my logical guess.

Light-wise...With the black interior and non glass roof it feels I'm in like an enclosed darker room. There's less area for light to come in vs my mazda3. If the sun and general daylight brightness is an issue then definitely get the metal roof.

I still like the glass roof for a more overall futuristic feel, but the metal roof is more practical. With the metal roof my car blends in better with other cars and likely gets less attention. I also don't have to worry about potential expensive glass damages.
Is it so dark that you find it a non-welcoming place to drive?

Is it so dark that you find it a non-welcoming place to drive?
No not at all. I love it actually but that's personal preference. I suppose my initial description wasnt properly worded. The interior is dark color so think of room with all black and grey furnitures and flooring with no lights on inside but with several windows. During the day there's plenty of light but most cars with black interior have light colored ceilings so that brightens the interior but not case with black alcantara linings.

I'm on my second week using mobile key. I switched my garage lock to keypad lock too. Sometimes it takes 20 seconds or so for the car to respond on initial use but overall I havent had to bring in key fob or house keys. I bring the valet card with me.

I've put in 1250mi in 1 month. Averaging 3.2mi/kwh. I had one incidence of main screen blanking out after closing 360 view after a reverse. One incidence of the system indicating that the frunk wasnt closed (I rarely use the frunk so I cant say it's fully resolved). Several cases of trunk not closing properly and not responding to the mobile app (still happens).

All my passengers have really liked the space and quietness.

Electrify America sucks as usual with either stations not charging at all and I always had to reconnect on average 2x for it to charge.

Has any Pure owners test driven a Touring? I swear my Pure feels faster than 480hp.
I drove a GT and the difference in acceleration is just 10% which is really hard to tell. 2x hp but not 2x acceleration. Main thing you would notice in gt is 25% more real world range if you drive both cars the same way. However if you drive gt using the 10% more acceleration you might end up with not 25% more range but closer to 15% more range. I averaged 3.6miles per KWh in 640 miles 50 50 highway and surface streets. 5 to 10 over the limit on highway and 5 over on the surface streets and normal acceleration lol as I did with my minivan except to enter exit highway or change lanes in a tight spot

I drove a GT and the difference in acceleration is just 10% which is really hard to tell. 2x hp but not 2x acceleration. Main thing you would notice in gt is 25% more real world range if you drive both cars the same way. However if you drive gt using the 10% more acceleration you might end up with not 25% more range but closer to 15% more range. I averaged 3.6miles per KWh in 640 miles 50 50 highway and surface streets. 5 to 10 over the limit on highway and 5 over on the surface streets and normal acceleration lol as I did with my minivan except to enter exit highway or change lanes in a tight spot
I did count my 0-60 recently and it's about 4 seconds. I was low key hoping that the first Pures have Touring horsepower haha.

I drove a Tesla for the first time a few days ago, 2021 Model Y to be specific. She actually test drove my Pure first and she was super happy and thrilled driving it. Ride was very quiet and smooth she said she didn't notice she was going 100mph already. She also said I'm not going to like the Y haha but it's not really a fair comparison in the first place. After driving it I'd say that given the price cuts and EV credit now favoring the Model Y, I'd be satisfied with getting a Y if I only had 55k budget. Overall, now that I got a feel of the driving the Y, I'm 100% glad I didn't get a Y 2+ years ago.

One thing, before I forget, is that so far 100% of my passengers were never able to fully close their door on their first try. Really have to slam it more than the average car door. Now I'm accidentally closing other car doors too hard, whoops!

I did count my 0-60 recently and it's about 4 seconds. I was low key hoping that the first Pures have Touring horsepower haha.
I have never understood the focus on 0-60 for a street car. Is 3 seconds really better than 4 seconds which is better than 5 seconds on a public street? Any of those would seem more than enough. I have always been more focused on high speed passing where some electric cars give out.

And, yes, before I am excoriated, I drive a car that is 4 seconds 0-60 so my comment is not jealousy.

I drove a Tesla for the first time a few days ago, 2021 Model Y to be specific. She actually test drove my Pure first and she was super happy and thrilled driving it. Ride was very quiet and smooth she said she didn't notice she was going 100mph already. She also said I'm not going to like the Y haha but it's not really a fair comparison in the first place. After driving it I'd say that given the price cuts and EV credit now favoring the Model Y, I'd be satisfied with getting a Y if I only had 55k budget. Overall, now that I got a feel of the driving the Y, I'm 100% glad I didn't get a Y 2+ years ago.

One thing, before I forget, is that so far 100% of my passengers were never able to fully close their door on their first try. Really have to slam it more than the average car door. Now I'm accidentally closing other car doors too hard, whoops!
The Model Y with the cheap interior and one display in the middle is too uncomfortable for me to consider. I rarely look at the Pilot panel in the Lucid once I start driving because the eyes are not on the road. Lack of physical buttons for simple things in Model Y is also a non starter for me. I know that I am taking a risk and waiting for Fisker Ocean Extreme which is slightly more expensive than the fully loaded Model Y. It is 78k on the road assuming I cannot get 7.5k tax credit.

I have never understood the focus on 0-60 for a street car. Is 3 seconds really better than 4 seconds which is better than 5 seconds on a public street? Any of those would seem more than enough. I have always been more focused on high speed passing where some electric cars give out.

And, yes, before I am excoriated, I drive a car that is 4 seconds 0-60 so my comment is not jealousy.
0-60 I think is mostly for reference and gauge on speed. Like 180mph top speed doesnt say much. Indicating higher horsepower generally represents faster speed but still doesn't give us any good idea how fast a car can accelerate. My mazda 3 155hp says it would take 8.5 secs. 480hp is triple the hp so should take 3x less time at 2.8s? nope Pure is 3.8s.

3 is better than 4 which is better than 5, but is it necessary? Nope not at all but faster is nice to have and more fun given the opportunity to do so safely

0-60 I think is mostly for reference and gauge on speed. Like 180mph top speed doesnt say much. Indicating higher horsepower generally represents faster speed but still doesn't give us any good idea how fast a car can accelerate. My mazda 3 155hp says it would take 8.5 secs. 480hp is triple the hp so should take 3x less time at 2.8s? nope Pure is 3.8s.

3 is better than 4 which is better than 5, but is it necessary? Nope not at all but faster is nice to have and more fun given the opportunity to do so safely
To me, basic requirements ("needs") for 0-60 are around being able to reach the end of the merge ramp at highway speed. That's minimum. Years ago I test drove a small truck, good sized on-ramp, and with 3 people on board, I barely reached 50 at the end of the ramp. Test drive was over. But that's not an issue with the Lucid.
The "wants" above that basic level here for most people is the "fun factor," acceleration. Being pushed back in your seat can force a grin onto your face even when you're having a grumpy day. That's where the faster 0-60 comes into play.

To me, basic requirements ("needs") for 0-60 are around being able to reach the end of the merge ramp at highway speed. That's minimum. Years ago I test drove a small truck, good sized on-ramp, and with 3 people on board, I barely reached 50 at the end of the ramp. Test drive was over. But that's not an issue with the Lucid.
The "wants" above that basic level here for most people is the "fun factor," acceleration. Being pushed back in your seat can force a grin onto your face even when you're having a grumpy day. That's where the faster 0-60 comes into play.
I’d add that 60-90 is even more important, allowing you to almost instantly get around trouble. The Lucid is a magician at this.

I’d add that 60-90 is even more important, allowing you to almost instantly get around trouble. The Lucid is a magician at this.
Lucid was specifically engineered for this, if im right. In a longer drag race, I'm confident a GT could beat a plaid. Off the line, theplaid wins but even that is a negative as @hmp10 said, the plaid's front end lifts more. almost as if the model s cant "handle" the speed.

Yes, it is.

Traffic on the wide 6-lane loads in our area usually travels in clumps with sizable stretches of open road in between (except during rush hours). My habit for years has been to punch out of a clump of traffic and then slow to settle into an open area where I'm not so worried about oblivious lane-switchers. Sometimes, though, when I do this and find my piece of peaceful road, I'll see some other car break out behind me and start gaining on me. Sometimes they try to blast past me, with the type of car causing me to assume they're trying to show what they've got. In the Lucid Dream P or the Plaid, I enjoy just holding my speed steady until they are alongside me . . . and then punching it. I've left Corvettes, M-Series, AMG's, Porsches, and Ferraris struggling to catch up. (While the Plaid can come off the line quicker than the Lucid -- assuming you don't care what the Plaid's goosy front end is doing -- in this maneuver the Lucid might actually better the Plaid.)

Part of this is the devil in me. Part of it is wanting to dispel lingering notions whenever I can that EVs can be no match for ICE vehicles.

I’ll take 60-90 any day of the week and twice on Sunday. It actually has practical value on the highway when you need to get past someone or something.

Back