Post/share your non-Lucid other car(s)! (ICE-appreciation thread?)

Wait, you accidentally bought a car? How much was it?
Yep. It was a lot of firsts for me.

- First time I "accidentally" bought a car. (Hopefully my last.)
- First used car I ever bought.
- First Porsche.
- First convertible.
- First mid-engined car.

And all that for a measly $10 grand. Hard to complain.

The only thing it doesn't have that wish it did, and it was available at the time: Heated seats. Would have come in handy during the winter. But it does have an OG hard top AND he threw in a set of winter wheels/tires. So it worked out well. I'm pretty pleased with how well it runs, given it's a 25-year old car. The previous owner definitely took care of it and had meticulous documentation on all the service it's had.

My new "project." Not an S. Just an OG 1998 986 Boxter in Arctic Silver with red interior.

Completes my personal 2-car garage prefs. I've always wanted a practical sedan for carrying around people. And then a modern classic roadster for weekend fun around the bends. Making the roadster mid-engined is just a bonus.

Ideally, the sedan would be smaller and the roadster would be electric. Which is why my next Lucid will likely be the "downsized" sedan that comes out in four or five years. And then if Lucid ever makes a roadster, I'll be all over it.
Meantime, I'm having plenty of fun with the current lineup.

First pic is in the detail shop just after getting it. (Yes, that's a Lucid next to her, but not mine.)

Haven't had a chance to take any good pics with the top off. But I'll remedy that this week.

View attachment 15084View attachment 15085View attachment 15086
I feel like we have kindred garages, and the 1st gen non-S silver on red (or is it the other way around) combo is THE classic spec to have. Much love to whoever spec'd our future Boxsters for us some number of decades ago. Not that it's why I bought mine, but I am curious to track how appreciation is affected in the future on these models, as things are already looking promising that I won't (for once) lose money on an irresponsibly-purchased modestly-priced used European sports car.

I feel like we have kindred garages, and the 1st gen non-S silver on red (or is it the other way around) combo is THE classic spec to have. Much love to whoever spec'd our future Boxsters for us some number of decades ago. Not that it's why I bought mine, but I am curious to track how appreciation is affected in the future on these models, as things are already looking promising that I won't (for once) lose money on an irresponsibly-purchased modestly-priced used European sports car.
I absolutely do not want it to appreciate! Not until 4 years when I get my drivers license..

Yeah, the silver with red interior was what the original Boxter concept car had. And it was in all the marketing when the production car was finally released. It's how I remember being introduced to the Boxter back in the day.

I remember when I got my first Audi a good friend of mine just clapped me on the back and said "Welcome to German car ownership. Hope you're ready to spend some money."

But with such a low cost of entry, and considering this is mostly a weekend car / backup car for the wife to drive around town when I'm out in the Lucid, I feel like it'll go well. Everything I'm hearing is that so long as you get a good one that was well taken care of, if it made it this far it should run relatively trouble free if you keep up with it and spend a bit of money every year.

The biggest surprise for me so far is just how much fun / different it is from the Lucid.

Yeah, the silver with red interior was what the original Boxter concept car had. And it was in all the marketing when the production car was finally released. It's how I remember being introduced to the Boxter back in the day.

I remember when I got my first Audi a good friend of mine just clapped me on the back and said "Welcome to German car ownership. Hope you're ready to spend some money."

But with such a low cost of entry, and considering this is mostly a weekend car / backup car for the wife to drive around town when I'm out in the Lucid, I feel like it'll go well. Everything I'm hearing is that so long as you get a good one that was well taken care of, if it made it this far it should run relatively trouble free if you keep up with it and spend a bit of money every year.

The biggest surprise for me so far is just how much fun / different it is from the Lucid.
I wonder how you got it for 10k.. all others are 20-30k!

Please post your comparisons in the car comparisons thread, I am curious to see how they drive differently.

Also, porsches are very reliable with over 70 percent of all cars they ever made STILL being on the road. Take care of it, and it takes care of you.

I got my first Viper in 1999...RT10. It originally was all red but they wanted a red car with white stripes in a Jack-in-the-Box commercial, so they put white stripes on it. I left them on after they finished filming the commercial. My current model is a 2009 Viper ACR. I have have it on the race track a few times and it is phenomenal car. It now has almost 20,000 miles as I try to get it out and run the backroads of Orange County, CA on weekends.

Attachments

• photo for magazine 2007.jpg
    photo for magazine 2007.jpg
    458.2 KB · Views: 42
  • 20180805 detail front.jpg
    20180805 detail front.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 43
@xponents @joec 100% agreed on if you get a great one and keep it great, it will be great :) And in my 6 months of ownership and being unable to resist kissing the redline (once engine temp is normal) each time I drive it, it's been great to me. Got a wonderful mechanic in Seattle where she lives (s/o Cantrell's Motorsports) who looks after her and have only spent about $500 in dealing with some nitpicky noises, but otherwise it feels as solid and ready to play as my memories of my dad's then-new '01 986 S when I was in college. I guess this was my version of buying then-new-now-vintage Air Jordans I couldn't afford at the time.

I got my first Viper in 1999...RT10. It originally was all red but they wanted a red car with white stripes in a Jack-in-the-Box commercial, so they put white stripes on it. I left them on after they finished filming the commercial. My current model is a 2009 Viper ACR. I have have it on the race track a few times and it is phenomenal car. It now has almost 20,000 miles as I try to get it out and run the backroads of Orange County, CA on weekends.
I remember I commented on your viper once! A thing of beauty, looks newer than 2009. Its also a track monster despite what the Europeans will tell you! Paved the way for the front engine supercars.. including the ZR1 c7. Who doesnt appreciate a front engine, hood that takes up a zip code v10?

Also, how did you manage driving a 90s viper?

Holy crap, I remember that ad! Not sure that adds value in provenance for most but it definitely would for me.

And Vipers I'm now realizing are a slept-on classic that it seems are starting to get the attention they deserve, especially given their cost and maintenance advantages. Probably the coolest car you can get for the money, and if you know its handling characteristics, not the window-maker people claimed it was. Curious to hear your impressions on either though, but I bet that ACR makes no apologies for handling.

Holy crap, I remember that ad! Not sure that adds value in provenance for most but it definitely would for me.

And Vipers I'm now realizing are a slept-on classic that it seems are starting to get the attention they deserve, especially given their cost and maintenance advantages. Probably the coolest car you can get for the money, and if you know its handling characteristics, not the window-maker people claimed it was. Curious to hear your impressions on either though, but I bet that ACR makes no apologies for handling.
Have you seen the 2016 Viper ACR? Thing is a beauty, doesnt get the track credentials it deserves(and also still looks modern). Then again, same could be said of any American supercar.

Have you seen the 2016 Viper ACR? Thing is a beauty, doesnt get the track credentials it deserves(and also still looks modern). Then again, same could be said of any American supercar.
"same could be said of any American supercar" not untrue :) I'm not a Viper connoisseur, though I do know that various versions of ACRs tend to hold top positions on car review track test leader boards, usually right alongside a BAC mono or the like. And yes the "SRT" Viper ACR is one of the meanest designs of anything "mass-produced" (i.e. not a 1-of-3 lambo), though I feel its market value (like the C7 ZR1) definitely accounts for some track credentials ;)

My last ICE car before getting a Model S in 2015. There are many days here in NorCal when I do miss having a convertible.

Attachments

• IMG_0027.jpeg
    IMG_0027.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 55
"same could be said of any American supercar" not untrue :) I'm not a Viper connoisseur, though I do know that various versions of ACRs tend to hold top positions on car review track test leader boards, usually right alongside a BAC mono or the like. And yes the "SRT" Viper ACR is one of the meanest designs of anything "mass-produced" (i.e. not a 1-of-3 lambo), though I feel its market value (like the C7 ZR1) definitely accounts for some track credentials ;)
Yup! In raw times, the ACR is one of the best performers of the era. However, when people talked about the fastest cars around a track, best supercars, etc, the Viper was often omitted along with other american cars, mostly in favor of the germans and literally any other nation.

Best looking supercar IMO with a front engine, and best looking overall from that generation.(and no, a 911 is not a supercar, atleast in the base carerra which look good)
1695745607204.png

1695745623886.png

355 width rear tires and that hood!

Compass Yellow is such beautiful Rivian color. We have an order on 14 months wait now. Sadly, Rivian just discontinued this color in the future for production cost efficiency.

View attachment 15078
Wait, we can do non-ice vehicles? In!

Love this thing. The biggest complain people had was the ride quality. After Rivian’s MONSTER update, I would put the ride quality up against a 5 seater Range Rover and it would win.

1695746690342.jpeg

Wait, we can do non-ice vehicles? In!

Love this thing. The biggest complain people had was the ride quality. After Rivian’s MONSTER update, I would put the ride quality up against a 5 seater Range Rover and it would win.

View attachment 15100
Wait, how has the ride quality changed? Genuinely curious. Are the bumps as soft as the air?

Wait, how has the ride quality changed? Genuinely curious. Are the bumps as soft as the air?
They changed the suspension across all of the ride styles through an OTA. Lucid did the same a while ago, but the ride quality didn’t need an overhaul. The R1S needed an overhaul and it’s amazing that they could make a fundamental improvement like that via an OTA.

Back