Portable tire inflator

I ended up getting the Lucid one because the wire on the Amazon one that I originally bought was not long enough to reach all the way from the 12 V outlet in the trunk to the left front tire.
I can get that for future use, but I think I need something quicker than that can get here, and something with 110v connection will work in the garage.

I guess it's time for tire inflation. Three of the tires have warnings showing at 44. I have the 19" wheels. I'm looking through this, but there's so many suggestions. I just checked; my AGT did not come with the Lucid inflator. That would have been nice. I'm thinking of ordering the Jaco one from Amazon tonight, should get here in the morning. Does this work without pulling off the rims?
The wireless Milwaukee one that was suggested somewhere on this forum is the bomb. Totally worth it.

The temperatures drop and rise here so much in the winter, I have to adjust the inflation at least every week or two. So happy I spent a little extra on this. The thing totally rocks.

Has anyone had any success with portable 12v digital tire inflators? I absolutely hate trying to find air pumps at gas stations as half of them are broken or there’s a wait, so I thought I’d try to find one. I fell victim to EA/Wal-Mart’s business plan and went into a Wal-Mart while charging and found what seemed to be a decent one, as my cold tire PSI was 47 on front R and 48 on rear R, and wanted to get them back to spec. The hose on the one I bought screws into the tire, and the seal was not very good, and after working on the rear R tire, it failed and deflated the front R tire to 42 PSI and then the device broke completely. I took it right back into Walmart and looked at another model but that one’s connector was too bulky to fit through the range covers. So then I gave up and drove to a crappy gas station air pump irritated that I’d wasted a good 45 minutes of trying out a portable inflator. Anybody know any good ones?
Go to an auto parts store and buy a cheap set of stem extenders. Use one, screw it on valve stem making any pump end fit. When completed Remove it and store in your console for future use.

Go to an auto parts store and buy a cheap set of stem extenders. Use one, screw it on valve stem making any pump end fit. When completed Remove it and store in your console for future use.
Oh I ended up getting the portable Ryobi one with the flip lock, fits great. I still keep the Lucid one in the car just cuz it also a tire repair kit in case I get a puncture, but the Ryobi one is better, it’s just off by 2 PSI so I always have to inflate the 19” to 51PSI to get them to read 49 PSI cold.

I have a Slime Safety Spair kit in my Tesla. I will get another another kit for my Touring. I have used the 12V pump to inflate my tires all the time. It worked well.

I’m picking up this version .. same one I purchased for my Tesla, but have yet to ever need to use.

Amazon Slime Digital inflator kit

Also picking up a 12V extension cord as the included compressor cord is only 10 ft

Amazon 12v extension cord

I use a Milwaukee M18 Tire Inflator (Milwaukee M18 Inflator 2848-20 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B1VHG484?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share). I frequent a couple forums related to Garage setups and this was highly recommended by all. I have to say, I absolutely love it! Bought the longer lasting XC 6.0 battery. For convenience, I added this extender (JACO Lightning S2X Tire Inflator... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B099SBMBJV?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share) which is push on/push button off, making it really easy and fast to inflate the tires. It took ~1-2 min to check/inflate all my Lucid’s tires this morning.

The M18 has 4 memories, which is great. Also, it is extremely accurate, and over inflates the tire and then releases air to get to your set point. Although this is portable, my intention was to keep this in the garage, not in the Lucid.

Attachments

• BCB3AD70-2B02-48E0-AD45-60AFF4ECAF90.jpeg
    BCB3AD70-2B02-48E0-AD45-60AFF4ECAF90.jpeg
    4.6 MB · Views: 81
  • AE8E8114-0A65-459E-91DD-A7A8F3DD76A6.jpeg
    AE8E8114-0A65-459E-91DD-A7A8F3DD76A6.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 88
  • 056CD109-1857-4D52-964F-6FA7C54F2FAD.jpeg
    056CD109-1857-4D52-964F-6FA7C54F2FAD.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 81
I use a Milwaukee M18 Tire Inflator (Milwaukee M18 Inflator 2848-20 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B1VHG484?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share). I frequent a couple forums related to Garage setups and this was highly recommended by all. I have to say, I absolutely love it! Bought the longer lasting XC 6.0 battery. For convenience, I added this extender (JACO Lightning S2X Tire Inflator... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B099SBMBJV?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share) which is push on/push button off, making it really easy and fast to inflate the tires. It took ~1-2 min to check/inflate all my Lucid’s tires this morning.

The M18 has 4 memories, which is great. Also, it is extremely accurate, and over inflates the tire and then releases air to get to your set point. Although this is portable, my intention was to keep this in the garage, not in the Lucid.
Best. Inflator. Ever. Love mine.

Thanks for the tip on the hose extension. Lack of a quick attach / release was my only gripe.

Didn't buy the Lucid one because there is no product description. Far as I can tell the Lucid one is not an air pump at all, just a fancy holder for a can of Burma Shave. (anyone old enough to remember these iconic bits of Americana?)
iu
individual signs paced and spaced along the route ... like Route 66 ?

Looking on line I see none of the tire inflaters have product descriptions ....
like does it even go to 60 psi ? might be important you can not assume they will work with Lucid tire specs.
( I have one that only goes to 35 psi ... didn't know that until I used it ...ended up deflating the tire ... says nothing on the "description").
Also would be nice to see the hose -end ... is it a stupid cam lock (requires two hands to use) or straight-on screw type ? I don't even care about how it looks or what other features. Seems the people in marketing don't know how people use these things.

Oh well ... guess I'll just have to drive my Lucid around all day looking at auto parts stores. (darn) joec looks like that one fits my bill, thanks.

Would be nice to have a small bottle of nitrogen with a regulator and a fill hose.

I've had the same setup for a while, too.
The Milwaukee inflator handles the high pressure of EV tires with ease, whereas my other more compact inflators seem to struggle a bit.
The JACO extension really minimizes the air loss from disengaging.

Last edited:
Didn't buy the Lucid one because there is no product description. Far as I can tell the Lucid one is not an air pump at all, just a fancy holder for a can of Burma Shave. (anyone old enough to remember these iconic bits of Americana?)
iu

like does it even go to 60 psi ? might be important you can not assume they will work with Lucid tire specs.
( I have one that only goes to 35 psi ... didn't know that until I used it ...ended up deflating the tire ... says nothing on the "description").
Also would be nice to see the hose -end ... is it a stupid cam lock (requires two hands to use) or straight-on screw type ? I don't even care about how it looks or what other features. Seems the people in marketing don't know how people use these things.

Oh well ... guess I'll just have to drive my Lucid around all day looking at auto parts stores. (darn) joec looks like that one fits my bill, thanks.

Would be nice to have a small bottle of nitrogen with a regulator and a fill ho
This is the Lucid kit: https://www.fixandgo.com/products/four-wheel-vehicles/sensor/

And yes, it also inflates.

iu

Would be nice to have a small bottle of nitrogen with a regulator and a fill hose.
I bought the Lucid-branded product. Very powerful and no problem inflating the tires to where they need to be. And, it comes in a nice soft-sided case with a velcro strip that allows you to stack it on top of the charging cord case.

Has anyone had any success with portable 12v digital tire inflators? I absolutely hate trying to find air pumps at gas stations as half of them are broken or there’s a wait, so I thought I’d try to find one. I fell victim to EA/Wal-Mart’s business plan and went into a Wal-Mart while charging and found what seemed to be a decent one, as my cold tire PSI was 47 on front R and 48 on rear R, and wanted to get them back to spec. The hose on the one I bought screws into the tire, and the seal was not very good, and after working on the rear R tire, it failed and deflated the front R tire to 42 PSI and then the device broke completely. I took it right back into Walmart and looked at another model but that one’s connector was too bulky to fit through the range covers. So then I gave up and drove to a crappy gas station air pump irritated that I’d wasted a good 45 minutes of trying out a portable inflator. Anybody know any good ones?
The NY Times wirecutter site says that the Viair 77aP is the best one they have tested. The Runnerup was the Viair 77P which uses a push on chuck. The sites's upgrade pick was the DeWalt 20V Max Inflator (DCC0201B). BUT if your tires are larger than 18" (which would mean every Lucid) the site recommends the Viair 84P.

On a $100K+ car, why cheap out on this item when the difference is only in the tens of dollars. I think I would go for either the DeWalt or the 84P, probably the DeWalt because their tools tend to be very, very good.

Discount Tire does it for free 🤪 but there can be a wait. They are also only open between 10-6

I've had the same setup for a while, too.
The Milwaukee inflator handles the high pressure of EV tires with ease, whereas my other more compact inflators seem to struggle a bit.
The JACO extension really minimizes the air loss from disengaging.
I use it to inflate various bicycle tires at pressures between 80-100 PSI. This inflator handles it with ease.

I’ve had great experience with this one for our Teslas:
it works great plugged into AC outlet for 12v car outlet.

Just googled the Milwaukee PSI rating. Per this review, it handles up to 150 PSI. https://www.protoolreviews.com/milwaukee-m18-cordless-inflator-review-2848-20/

Also want to mention I just got rid of a Viair that I had owned for over 10 years. It was never able to inflate my car or bike tires without overheating and shutting off constantly. I'm sure it was a much smaller model, but it was designed for car tires and couldn't even top off a tire that was 2-3 PSI below its recommended setting. I can say this Milwaukee is great - blew up bike tires from 0-85 PSI in seconds - 4 tires for 2 bikes. This inflator was quick, quiet and worked very well!

We just bought an Airmoto (about $85-ish):
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B094DMH7ZM/ref=pe_386300_440135490_TE_simp_item_image
so far we are pleased:
- The hose attaches by screwing onto the valve stem, and can do so thru the original 19" wheel cover's small holes. No need to remove the 19" wheel covers!
- Our tires were at 46psi (according to the Air), the Airmoto reported they were at 46.5, so the two seem to be in close calibration.
- It took about 3 minutes a tire to bring each tire up from 46.5psi to 49psi (by Airmoto's measure).
- It is small & light (and has a built in light too, lol).

We think the battery was not fully charged when it arrived. It had enough charge to do 2.5 tires, and with another 30ish minutes charged the other 1.5... it has been charging for about 1.5 hours now and hasn't reached full charge (but that is in line with what I expected).

When I attempted to use the Air's USB-C charger port, it did not seem to be willing to charge the Airmoto. The Airmoto comes with a USB-A to USB-C cable (all 9" or so of it), which does work when plugged into the USB-A port (Air's or a 12v to USB-A charger adapter, either in the Air or otherwise).

...We think the battery was not fully charged when it arrived....
Anything with a lithium battery will arrive at about 50% charge to avoid undue battery aging during storage and shipping.

Back