Poll: Lucid Air Touring/Pure Reservation Holders, if the new EV tax bill passes, would you reconsider your reservation?

Would losing out on the $7500 EV tax credit cause you to reconsider your Lucid Air Pure reservation?

• Total voters
I've decided to cancel my Pure reservation. I didn't see a way to request a refund on the website. I sent a message to Lucid but that seems like a clunky way to ask for a refund. Does anyone know if there is a way to request a refund over the internet?
Let your SA know that you wish to cancel your order, and tell them why you are canceling, and you should/may be able to get a refund.

My SA called yesterday to discuss my reservation, which is Touring with DreamDrive (not Pro) with reservation made before price increase. She told me that if I changed to DD Pro, I could get my car delivered before Dec. 31st and still be able to claim the $7500 tax credit. Otherwise, delivery for Touring w/DD will be in 2023 and tax credit will be lost. So I either add $10K to my bill to get DD Pro and the tax credit or add $7500 to my bill for 2023 delivery. I hope Lucid didn't purposely make DD only available in 2023 to urge buyers to purchase DD Pro to get tax credit.

My SA also told me that if 2022 delivery of Touring w/DD Pro was not possible, I would be able to get my original configuration but would still lose the tax credit.

I changed my strategy and decided to keep my deposit/reservation active. Maybe there is a chance I can still get a Pure for $69,900.
I can tell you that there is zero chance that you can get a Pure for less than $87K if you cancel your reservation.

For me the math looks like this:

Best case:
Purchase price $77,400​
Destination Fee $1,650​
Documentation Fee $75​
Sales Tax (FL) $4,644​
------------------------​
Sub Total $83,769​
Less EV tax credit $7500​
-------------------------​
Grand Total $76,269​

Probable case:
Grand Total $83,769​

Either way, if I proceed with the above I will get 3 years of EA charging - what ever THAT is worth...

If I were to purchase now:
Purchase Price $87,400​
Destination Fee $1,650​
Documentation Fee $75​
Sales Tax (FL) $5,244​
----------------------------​
Grand Total $94,369​

I can tell you that there is zero chance that you can get a Pure for less than $87K if you cancel your reservation.

For me the math looks like this:

Best case:
Purchase price $77,400​
Destination Fee $1,650​
Documentation Fee $75​
Sales Tax (FL) $4,644​
------------------------​
Sub Total $83,769​
Less EV tax credit $7500​
-------------------------​
Grand Total $76,269​

Probable case:
Grand Total $83,769​

Either way, if I proceed with the above I will get 3 years of EA charging - what ever THAT is worth...

If I were to purchase now:
Purchase Price $87,400​
Destination Fee $1,650​
Documentation Fee $75​
Sales Tax (FL) $5,244​
----------------------------​
Grand Total $94,369​
Hey can we keep in touch? I think your best case scenario is a possibility and I want to see how it plays out for you. Or are you thinking Lucid won't be able to get the car delivered by 12/31? Wow, Florida has a low sales tax rate!!! Over 10% where I live in Washington State.

Hey can we keep in touch? I think your best case scenario is a possibility and I want to see how it plays out for you. Or are you thinking Lucid won't be able to get the car delivered by 12/31? Wow, Florida has a low sales tax rate!!! Over 10% where I live in Washington State.
I remember WA has no sales tax for EV? No?

WA is also considering and may have instituted extra fees on registration of EVs to cover the loss of gasoline tax revenue. WA state is not very EV friendly in spite of what they say. The power companies are also a little slow of offer incentives.

WA is also considering and may have instituted extra fees on registration of EVs to cover the loss of gasoline tax revenue. WA state is not very EV friendly in spite of what they say. The power companies are also a little slow of offer incentives.
Correct. Washington State charges an extra annual fee for EV owners. The intention is to offset foregone gas tax revenue.

I will share that I am leaning toward cancelling my reservation. Why?:
  • The loss of the EV tax credit for Pure RWD.
  • The fact that the RWD Pure is not 480hp as I (and others) initially believed
  • The fact that Lucid has still not disclosed if the Pure will have a power "frunk," or passenger window shades.
  • The ongoing problems with Electrify America (which is a hot mess on the east coast)
  • The fact that clients that are serviced out of the Rivera Beach Service Center are not happy with the communication or the service that they receive.
I am not looking for another headache in my life, and I am certainly not going to pay $83K to get one.

I can accept that stuff happens and production dates will slip, so I'll not ding Lucid on the inability to provide a date, or even a quarter as to when the RWD Pure will ship. However, Lucid should provide CLEAR statement on what horsepower will be available from the Pure. They should be able to tell us if it will have a power frunk, and window shades (even if not power) by now. Lucid senior management should be able to help address the EA issues at a senior level, or they should team up with another charging provider.

With respect to the Rivera Beach Service Center, Lucid owns this situation entirely. There is no reason for early adopters of a new $120K+ car to have to put up with service that would be unacceptable from their local Ford dealer. If necessary, they could have Peter Rawlinson camped out in Miami providing personal concierge service to customers, and helping to identify and correct the problems.

I don't see any of this happening, but I'll wait a little longer before I cancel my order.

Did you find out anything from Lucid?
Below is their response. They didn't answer my question regarding 2023.
I would advise speaking with your CPA or another tax consultant regarding the EV tax credit. I do know IRS guidelines state anyone taking delivery of a vehicle by end of 2022 helps them qualify.

I am sorry I don’t have more information for you regarding your specific circumstance.

Curious if anyone has cancelled their order, and received the $300 deposit back.

Back