Polestar 3?

n8236

Cars
None
Is anyone having curious eyes for the Polestar 3? It's not exactly a 1:1 comparison since the PS3 is competing against the likes of the Porsche Cayenne but its design language is quite beautiful IMO. Having Swedish roots doesn't hurt either.

Yes I'm very interested in the Polestar 3. It is projected to have decent range and will be manufactured in the US. The Polestar 2 has been plagued by TCAM issues so hopefully that will be resolved in the Polestar 3 . I considered the Polestar 2 but the range and low efficiency were eliminatory for me.

Definitely something I'm keeping an eye on too to see what we learn in October. Not really looking for an SUV, but I'm curious what Polestar brings to market here.

I have seen some concerns with servicing with Polestars on the subreddit as of late, so that does seem to be a possible issue there.

Definitely something I'm keeping an eye on too to see what we learn in October. Not really looking for an SUV, but I'm curious what Polestar brings to market here.

I have seen some concerns with servicing with Polestars on the subreddit as of late, so that does seem to be a possible issue there.

I read the quite a bit about the Polestar 2 on the Polestar forum and customer service at the service centers in the US does seem extremely sub-par. It appears that they do not meet their service commitment :

"Just press the ‘connect’ button in the roof, or summon us through the app, and our experts will show up to repair your vehicle on-site.

In the event that your car needs extended attention, we will provide towing services to one of our Authorized Service Points and even provide you a hotel overnight stay, or lend you a car to get you back on the road as quickly as possible."

People have complained about no loaners , no on site repair and lengthy waits for even the most minor repairs. This is another detail that I found off putting.

Yea
I read the quite a bit about the Polestar 2 on the Polestar forum and customer service at the service centers in the US does seem extremely sub-par. It appears that they do not meet their service commitment :

"Just press the ‘connect’ button in the roof, or summon us through the app, and our experts will show up to repair your vehicle on-site.

In the event that your car needs extended attention, we will provide towing services to one of our Authorized Service Points and even provide you a hotel overnight stay, or lend you a car to get you back on the road as quickly as possible."

People have complained about no loaners , no on site repair and lengthy waits for even the most minor repairs. This is another detail that I found off putting.
yeah, I would have expected their relationship with Volvo to make service easier rather than harder, if they could leverage some of the service network. It doesn’t seem like that’s the case, which makes my short list continue to focus on lucid. While people are reporting minor to major oldie issues, we’re going to have to see how service scales out, or doesn’t.

Yes I'm very interested in the Polestar 3. It is projected to have decent range and will be manufactured in the US. The Polestar 2 has been plagued by TCAM issues so hopefully that will be resolved in the Polestar 3 . I considered the Polestar 2 but the range and low efficiency were eliminatory for me.
I also have been looking at the Polestar 3. One must be very careful when evaluating the range. Europe uses a system called WLTP. It is not even close to EPA. A range of 400 WLTP will be closer to 300 EPA. Therefore, the true range may be much less than expected.

In addition, Volvo will be releasing a similar vehicle that many believe will be called the Volvo Embla. This seems to be a better choice than the Polestar 3. It also will be built in SC with service available at all US Volvo dealers. The reveal is planned for October 2022. The final EPA range will be a make or break deal breaker. If the range approaches 400, this vehicle will become very popular.

In addition, Volvo will be releasing a similar vehicle that many believe will be called the Volvo Embla. This seems to be a better choice than the Polestar 3. It also will be built in SC with service available at all US Volvo dealers. The reveal is planned for October 2022. The final EPA range will be a make or break deal breaker. If the range approaches 400, this vehicle will become very popular.
just looked at it. Always looking for something to replace the GT order as the production delays are ongoing. I really don’t like the interior. It makes a Tesla look luxurious. Guess I‘ll continue to wait.

just looked at it. Always looking for something to replace the GT order as the production delays are ongoing. I really don’t like the interior. It makes a Tesla look luxurious. Guess I‘ll continue to wait.

My backup in case of problems with the Lucid is the Cadillac Lyriq. I put down a $100 refundable deposit on the 2 motor version. But my first choice, now more than ever, is the Lucid.

The Polestar 3 / Volvo Embla are my main backup plan if finalizing my GT purchase seems unwise in Q4. I'm expecting the P3's EPA range to be just over 300 miles with about a 100kWh battery at 800V+. Details are to be released in October. AAOS User software in the Polestar 2 and its sister Volvo XC40 are currently pretty basic and have had recurring major bugs for the year I've owned the XC40. But tight integration with Google's ecosystem, Google nav, etc have been great. UI improvements are supposedly on the way, at least for Polestar. Volvo is painfully conservative in software releases, and their software QA could be better.

Oh, and having Google Assistant in the car is wonderful. You can ask the car any random question, ask for a rating on a restaurant you're driving by, tell it to turn on your home's driveway and interior lights, etc.

My backup in case of problems with the Lucid is the Cadillac Lyriq. I put down a $100 refundable deposit on the 2 motor version. But my first choice, now more than ever, is the Lucid.
I actually have a deposit on the AWD Lyriq as well. I am leaning heavily to the Lucid but will have a better idea once Lyriq reviews appear on the 28th followed by customers actually receiving delivery. I suspect the range wont meet my needs.

I have looked at the Lyriq also. My concern is that the problems we have had with my wife’s two XT5’s has every time been software glitches…..

Both Polestar and Cadillac made the excellent choice of using Google Maps and Google Navigation in their AAOS implementations rather than a third party or homebuilt solution.

It’s really wild how Tesla has sucked all the software car engineering brain power away from the rest of the industry. As strong as Apple is, they still aren’t able to wrestle away their people to build the apple car.

While car manufacturers are catching up to Tesla, they feel still a distance away in terms of mechanical/software integration tightness. They’re just not software companies. As much as I like the Mach-E, their system seems unpolished.

It’s really wild how Tesla has sucked all the software car engineering brain power away from the rest of the industry. As strong as Apple is, they still aren’t able to wrestle away their people to build the apple car.

While car manufacturers are catching up to Tesla, they feel still a distance away in terms of mechanical/software integration tightness. They’re just not software companies. As much as I like the Mach-E, their system seems unpolished.
Tesla is just way ahead in the Software aspect and also converted many generation X of geeks.

Past few weeks, I have talked to few Europeans to sample their opinions about electrifying ground transportation. Basically all the European governments are mandating green cars at various speed. The key date is 2030 or 2035, that shall be no more new petrol sales registration. Many countries started adding emission tax to fund their charging infrastructure. They think Tesla are overpriced minimalistic cars; Elon deserves wealth and credit for green movement to saving glaciers and planet’s climate, but they want more and cheaper, their hope is Volkswagen and Toyota to step up to make it reality for everyone. Now, Tesla is just a Rolex watch to many Europeans when PHEV is just good enough for economic sense for average Joe. Tesla has made effort to make it cheaper by having gigafactory in European continent to reduce import tax.
Remember, while we pay gas at $4~$7/gallon, rest of world are paying $9~$11/gallon, and no nation indulges pickup truck like we do, they all drive V4 SUVs. I have seen just ONE F-350 in 3 weeks, that was bc diesel is cheaper over there than here, and it is used to tow small fishing boat.

But if you don’t get the Lucid, you can at least get a Lucid-style display in a Lyriq.

1656423274574.jpeg

But if you don’t get the Lucid, you can at least get a Lucid-style display in a Lyriq.
Also very similar in the Ioniq 5, EV6, GV60. It's the new common practice for in-car displays, moving past Tesla's mounted-tablet genre.

One thing unique about the Lyriq display is it is actually an unbroken 33 inch LCD panel, not 3 panels in one housing. The Lyriq looks very nice. I don't think it is anywhere near the Lucid in technological innovation (motors, charging, efficiency etc) but it does seem to be a step forward for Cadillac. Press reviews dropped today and of course are glowing but that seems to be the usual for the first reviews of new EVs. The press did mention that the interface is buggy and some experienced full screen crashes but supposedly its pre-production software that will be updated prior to first deliveries to customers. The true test will be when the car is in consumer hands. It's still on my radar as a possibility in the event that the Lucid continues to get delayed.

Back