Please Help With Spotify Questions In The Air….

How hard can it be for Lucid to have the USB connection allow playing music directly from the phone as opposed to having to use Bluetooth? Is this a significant hardware/firmware update or can it be done with an OTA update?

How hard can it be for Lucid to have the USB connection allow playing music directly from the phone as opposed to having to use Bluetooth? Is this a significant hardware/firmware update or can it be done with an OTA update?
Ideally it shouldn’t be difficult at all, as it’s just data, and even without CarPlay/Android auto it should recognize digital data input from the USB. Given digital audio is converted to analog via the car’s D to A converters in its DSP to the speakers, it should be easy to implement by just take the data coming in via USB and sending it to the DSP. I’d think this would be no different than the applications in the car’s UI also sending digital data to the DSP which then converts it to analog for the speakers.

I have to agree, this is an engineering failure on Lucid's part, not software. I hope that @Firstto520 sees this and passes this info on accordingly. So far the majority of concerns have been that the software running on the car isn't doing X or Y. Not this time. I was astounded to hear from other people that the Air only has 1 usb-A plug. Why doesn't the car have a couple, and usb-C to boot? Furthermore most cars can hardwire connect in music somehow, either with USB, snazzy little thumb drives, etc... For Lucid to have such a deficiency is pretty bad and not fixable with a software update. And lets be honest, no wireless system will ever be as good a connection as a wired system. Having everything on the car be wireless sounds great in theory, but in reality when you want reliability and bandwidth it is hard to beat wired connections.

I have to agree, this is an engineering failure on Lucid's part, not software. I hope that @Firstto520 sees this and passes this info on accordingly. So far the majority of concerns have been that the software running on the car isn't doing X or Y. Not this time. I was astounded to hear from other people that the Air only has 1 usb-A plug. Why doesn't the car have a couple, and usb-C to boot? Furthermore most cars can hardwire connect in music somehow, either with USB, snazzy little thumb drives, etc... For Lucid to have such a deficiency is pretty bad and not fixable with a software update. And lets be honest, no wireless system will ever be as good a connection as a wired system. Having everything on the car be wireless sounds great in theory, but in reality when you want reliability and bandwidth it is hard to beat wired connections.
Wait, the car has only ONE USB connector period? I thought it had one USB A and one USB C? I thought it had two ports in the back seat.

Last edited:
I meant the front. Probably not going to use the back ones as you drive, unless you have a really long reach! :)

Agreed. Major fail on the design. Should be at least a couple USB-a, a usb-c AND a 12volt power outlet in the front, in addition to the one in thetrunk.

It makes sense to move over to usb-c though doesn't it? Provides higher bandwidth(if needed), no crappy orientation issues, and aren't all devices now usb-c?

It makes sense to move over to usb-c though doesn't it? Provides higher bandwidth(if needed), no crappy orientation issues, and aren't all devices now usb-c?
Most new cars are doing usb-c, very few have usb-a in newer designs. (older designs definitely still do though)

Most new cars are doing usb-c, very few have usb-a in newer designs. (older designs definitely still do though)
Yea, though I would have LOVED to at least have 1 damn USB port under the giant pilot panel so I could plug something in there...that is the biggest fail in design for the center console right now, imho!

I meant the front. Probably not going to use the back ones as you drive, unless you have a really long reach! :)
Funny my 2019 MB AMG a class has 4 USB C in the front, two in the rear. I thought the Air GT pre-production model I saw in NYC studio had one USB A and one USB C port in the center arm rest. Maybe they thought their charging port for the phone in the armrest made it unnecessary, but doesn’t that charging port work 1% of the time?

Funny my 2019 MB AMG a class has 4 USB C in the front, two in the rear. I thought the Air GT pre-production model I saw in NYC studio had one USB A and one USB C port in the center arm rest. Maybe they thought their charging port for the phone in the armrest made it unnecessary, but doesn’t that charging port work 1% of the time?
It works 100% of the time if 1)you don't have a giant phone and 2) you don't have a case that prevents it from being pushed all the way down and 3) you don't have a case that has any metal on the back

It works 100% of the time if 1)you don't have a giant phone and 2) you don't have a case that prevents it from being pushed all the way down and 3) you don't have a case that has any metal on the back
Ah ok good to know. My phone should work then, not huge, case doesn’t obstruct and no metal. Is it slow charging though? The Mercedes has an NFC charger in the center console and that’s good for about 10% increase in charge over an hour. 👎

Ah ok good to know. My phone should work then, not huge, case doesn’t obstruct and no metal. Is it slow charging though? The Mercedes has an NFC charger in the center console and that’s good for about 10% increase in charge over an hour. 👎
No it's fast charging

I suppose to be fair the car not being able to actually do Dolby Atmos correctly with Tidal due to LTE being inadequate for the bandwidth is analogous to them sending me the Blackwing pencils without the pencil sharpener. It’s the thought that counts?

Last edited:
I just saw on Tidal they’ve got Rush’s Tom Sawyer in Dolby Atmos, OK now I’m really gonna throw a tantrum if the car can’t play it hahaha.

I just saw on Tidal they’ve got Rush’s Tom Sawyer in Dolby Atmos, OK now I’m really gonna throw a tantrum if the car can’t play it hahaha.
I took my wife over to Moss Landing today for lunch and then back (a little over an hour each way). We were trying to listen to Tidal Dolby Atmos recordings and for the most part it did work fairly well. There were some "glitches" that were very annoying as once in a while a recording would just "lock up" and couldn't get it to start playing again. Had to exit Tidal and then come back in a couple of times to get it back to playing. Interestingly, I got a call from a Lucid Delivery Advisor this afternoon and he asked me how things were going. I reiterated my wish list (Apple Music, USB hard wire for music streaming, etc.) and shared with him my frustrations with Tidal. He said they are working on an OTA for the Tidal app that should come out soon. We'll see how that goes and perhaps I won't cancel my Tidal "trial" membership.

To clarify: it does have 1 USB-A and 1 USB-C in the front. It has 2 USB-C in the back.

I have heard from an engineer at Lucid that both USB ports are wired for data and it is just a software issue; my understanding is it’s on hold for now due to security concerns, but should be coming down the pipe eventually.

To clarify: it does have 1 USB-A and 1 USB-C in the front. It has 2 USB-C in the back.

I have heard from an engineer at Lucid that both USB ports are wired for data and it is just a software issue; my understanding is it’s on hold for now due to security concerns, but should be coming down the pipe eventually.
That sounds consistent with the information I was told today by the DA I spoke with although he didn't mention "security concerns". Not sure what security issue your guy is referring to??

That sounds consistent with the information I was told today by the DA I spoke with although he didn't mention "security concerns". Not sure what security issue your guy is referring to??

Likely just the general idea of allowing data across the USB link. In the past that has posed a problem. My guess is they’re just being careful.

This is such depressing news. When I spoke to my studio advisor in San Jose I specifically asked about music over usb and he told me it was possible. No CarPlay and no music over usb really sucks. This needs to be fixed asap.

Back