Pirelli alternative?

Drendino

Verified Owner
Cars
Grand Touring
DE Number
I live in a suburban region of California and ordered 21s for my GT. I am having flashbacks of a Mercedes that I owned years ago that at the time would only take Pirelles with the stock rims. They were the only thin walled tires I have ever owned which constantly got welts. It looks like a couple of GT owners are already having problems with welts and it appears they are not covered under the warranty (please tell me I’m wrong).

Are there any other tires that will work with these rims?

I live in a suburban region of California and ordered 21s for my GT. I am having flashbacks of a Mercedes that I owned years ago that at the time would only take Pirelles with the stock rims. They were the only thin walled tires I have ever owned which constantly got welts. It looks like a couple of GT owners are already having problems with welts and it appears they are not covered under the warranty (please tell me I’m wrong).

Are there any other tires that will work with these rims?
TireRack lists the Michelins as being compatible with the Lucid, and they are higher rated than the Perellis. Lucid won't allow you to get them on a new car, though. I've already asked.

I’m with you on this one. Michelin has an EV specific line of tires with the correct weight and speed ratings, and they include the foam inserts for noise reduction. They don’t make them in the Lucid sizes yet, though they do say “coming soon”. Fingers crossed for sometime in the next few months.

Oh, and be careful about the tire specs TireRack tries to sell you. While a 96 weight rating is technically enough, it doesn’t leave much margin for passengers and cargo. The Lucid is already 5200+ lbs. without stuff in it.

I’m with you on this one. Michelin has an EV specific line of tires with the correct weight and speed ratings, and they include the foam inserts for noise reduction. They don’t make them in the Lucid sizes yet, though they do say “coming soon”. Fingers crossed for sometime in the next few months.

Oh, and be careful about the tire specs TireRack tries to sell you. While a 96 weight rating is technically enough, it doesn’t leave much margin for passengers and cargo. The Lucid is already 5200+ lbs. without stuff in it.
The whole point of these Pirelli tires was that they were supposed to be the EV line and could take the weight of the Lucid. The whole LM1 designation and all...

TireRack lists the Michelins as being compatible with the Lucid, and they are higher rated than the Perellis. Lucid won't allow you to get them on a new car, though. I've already asked.
That’s awesome info, thank you! I have Perelli side wall welt anxiety.

TireRack tires compatible with the 19" tires are many, with an exact load rating of XL and 102Y rating. For the 21" tires the load ratings of 96 (front) and 101Y (rear) XL is slightly lower that the Pirellis 99 and 103Y HL rating, so you do need to make a decision on those sizes.

Back