Parking with basic dreamdrive?

momo3605

Verified Owner
Cars
718 Spyder, R1T, Air T
Referral Code
OV9HL03Y
Any one with standard dream drive able to comment on how easy or difficult it is to park or navigate tight garages without surround view? My delivery of basic dream drive it’s coming up, but December deals have DDP included for free so I’m wondering if I should drop my car and switch to something else in inventory. I don’t care that much for lane keeping, but I do want a relatively easy parking experience.

A couple things that I’ve experienced that can make single camera parking easy:
1. High quality large rear view camera display
2. Auto side mirror tilt so you can see where the rear wheels are relative to the curb
3. Auto park? Is it any good? Or is it worse in DD because it lacks the additional cameras
4. Reliable USS and distances

Any experiences from the group?

Any one with standard dream drive able to comment on how easy or difficult it is to park or navigate tight garages without surround view? My delivery of basic dream drive it’s coming up, but December deals have DDP included for free so I’m wondering if I should drop my car and switch to something else in inventory. I don’t care that much for lane keeping, but I do want a relatively easy parking experience.

2. Auto side mirror tilt so you can see where the rear wheels are relative to the curb
3. Auto park? Is it any good? Or is it worse in DD because it lacks the additional cameras

I use the large 3-D display quite a bit when parking. Because I have an issue with one of my eyes, my depth the field is off and it helps me stay centered between the lines or right near the curb.

The side mirrors do not tilt in the Lucid.

Auto park scares the crap out of me but some folks have reported success with it.

The ultrasonic sensors display the distance in inches from the front and rear of the car but are not really that useful for parallel parking at a curb.

I use the large 3-D display quite a bit when parking. Because I have an issue with one of my eyes, my depth the field is off and it helps me stay centered between the lines or right near the curb.

The side mirrors do not tilt in the Lucid.

Auto park scares the crap out of me but some folks have reported success with it.

The ultrasonic sensors display the distance in inches from the front and rear of the car but are not really that useful for parallel parking at a curb.
Thanks. By 3-D display, you're referring to the 360 cameras right? Won't have that in DD. Hmm your comment makes it sound like there's no good option for lining up with curbs without it

Thanks. By 3-D display, you're referring to the 360 cameras right? Won't have that in DD. Hmm your comment makes it sound like there's no good option for lining up with curbs without it
If you often parallel park, I would highly recommend DD premium at the least.

If you can get DDP for free, get it. I have not parallel parked the Lucid. I use surround view all the time in parking lots. The surround view is provides a clear view of the car position within a parking space. You can clearly see if the car is in the center between the parking lines. It also provides you with view of the front of the car to the parking lot bumper.

Me too, but it has worked every time for perpendicular spots. At this point, I’ve begun to mostly trust it for that.

On 21s, I won’t let it parallel park though. The first few times (granted, beginning of 2022, very early in the life of the car and its software), it curbed my wheels a few times. Lucid fixed it as a good will gesture, since it was auto park that did it and it was clear auto park and wasn’t ready yet, but I stopped using it then.

Have people had good experiences using auto parking for parallel spots?

Me too, but it has worked every time for perpendicular spots. At this point, I’ve begun to mostly trust it for that.
it's funny, on my test drive i asked to try perpendicular autopark and my sales guy was like i don't know...it's not that good, i wouldn't be that comfortable with it...so i was like, listen i'm used to dealing with shit software like FSD and intervening on a dime, let me try it...haha, so he was like ok... and it ended up working just fine in a pretty tight spot!

it's funny, on my test drive i asked to try perpendicular autopark and my sales guy was like i don't know...it's not that good, i wouldn't be that comfortable with it...so i was like, listen i'm used to dealing with shit software like FSD and intervening on a dime, let me try it...haha, so he was like ok... and it ended up working just fine in a pretty tight spot!
Opposite experience for me. On our first test drive, the salesman tried demonstrating auto park to my parents. At first it couldnt recognize the clear parking spots in a indoor parking garage, so we had to keep circling.

8(or 9?) circles later, we finally got it to recognize a spot. And then it just attempted to park and curbed the wheels like a 14 year old on coke would.

The salesman was visibly embarrassed but there wasnt too much damage to the 19 inch wheels, luckily. That did dent our perception of DreamDrive quite a bit.

Opposite experience for me. On our first test drive, the salesman tried demonstrating auto park to my parents. At first it couldnt recognize the clear parking spots in a indoor parking garage, so we had to keep circling.

8(or 9?) circles later, we finally got it to recognize a spot. And then it just attempted to park and curbed the wheels like a 14 year old on coke would.

The salesman was visibly embarrassed but there wasnt too much damage to the 19 inch wheels, luckily. That did dent our perception of DreamDrive quite a bit.

were there cars on both sides? I don't think it's designed to work with just vision, i.e. seeing clear spots. They just use USS for autopark.

were there cars on both sides? I don't think it's designed to work with just vision, i.e. seeing clear spots. They just use USS for autopark.
It was a case of slanted parking but yes there were. The first 4 circles we tried an empty spot and moved on because that just wasn't working.

Its a good thing it didnt crash into the cars surrounding us, mainly because those cars were two GT demo units...

It was a case of slanted parking but yes there were. The first 4 circles we tried an empty spot and moved on because that just wasn't working.

Its a good thing it didnt crash into the cars surrounding us, mainly because those cars were two GT demo units...

Oh got it. Yea seems like it's a no-no for parallel parking. I guess it makes some sense given that USS probably have a harder time identifying a curb than another car which is much higher and closer to the sensors. That being said, my BMW that i just sold had flawless parallel parking, i think legacy automakers are a bit better at making sure features are fully fleshed because they don't do real OTA updates. Companies like Lucid/Rivian/Tesla are like whatever just ship it, we'll fix it in an OTA in the future.

How long ago?

Sometime in August or September I think? I am not sure what software version it was on, if that is what you are after.
Yeah, that was before I read that they were slanted spots. I’ve never tried that. Only perpendicular.

Sometime in August or September I think? I am not sure what software version it was on, if that is what you are after.
oh slanted spots? Is that a feature? i thought it was just parallel and perpendicular

I’ve only engaged auto park three times. I’ve tried a few more times, but it was unable to quickly see spots and I just gave up. The times I actually gave it a chance were:
1) Slanted spots. It pulled in nice and smooth without any bumps. It was even slanted. It just slanted the wrong direction somehow. Luckily the spot was wide enough there was room for that.
2) Easy perpendicular spot in a garage. It was technically a success, but I was so close to the next car I ended up reparking to avoid door dings.
3) Easy parallel spot. I’m not a great parallel parker and I managed it smoothly after Lucid’s attempt. It pulled in like it was a perpendicular spot, putting my nose out in the (thankfully empty) street.

Well, its essentially just a regular parking spot slightly rotated! I would expect it to be the same... right?
you know what they say when you assume…

Back