OTA update 2.1.42

Not entirely sure why some of you think we don't reach out to service as the first thing to do. Better to learn it's a "no" from lucid than a forum.
Didn’t mean to offend. Perhaps you’d be surprised by how often the answer is “oh, yeah, good idea - I’ll reach out to them.”

Also, again - it isn’t always a software glitch. I believe @AirDoll had to have an antenna replaced too, as did @Bobby - but if you’ve had service check it then so be it.

I'm starting to think that the level of acceptance is different for users like you and I. I have a heavy tech background and work at one of the biggest cybersecurity vendors in the world. I notice things that maybe others do not. I tended to maximize the features I had in previous vehicles. I'm the one that stalks both reddit and the forums to find the cool easter eggs that my car can do. My lense is probably skewed from a tech perspective for SOME of the issues I complain about.
LOL.

Not that this is a measuring contest, but: I’ve been in cybersecurity and software engineering since 2004, studied CS at MIT, worked at Morgan Stanley, Apple, Mandiant, and spent years doing “offensive software security” (aka vulnerability discovery / RE, exploit development, and exploit weaponization) for the intelligence community in “the DC metro area,” all before starting Tinfoil Security in 2011, running it until January 2020, when I sold it to Synopsys, then leaving Synopsys in January 2022 as a Principal Software Engineer, Architect, and Director of Software Engineering as my title when I left.

So no, I don’t think the issue is that you’re “more techy.” I know every in and out of the car, because it happens to be the best car I’ve ever driven. So do @Bobby, @joec, and the other mods. Joe is a badass engineer, and Bobby runs a major software consultancy.

The issue isn’t lack of technical knowledge, but expectations. I expect every car to be imperfect, because that is how the world works - if you work in cybersecurity, you should know that better than anyone. *Everything* has bugs. That’s why you have a job.

I also look for and love finding Easter eggs. Again, I think you’d be hard-pressed to find a feature I don’t know about (but would be very very happy if you did, cuz then I’d get to learn more!)

I spent the last week or two reversing the Lucid mobile API with @segbrk, because I wanted to build a Home Assistant integration, which now works btw. Turns out Lucid has two different APIs under the hood; one REST api and one gRPC api. Why? Good question. I would guess technical debt, but I don’t know. Is it annoying? Absolutely.

I don’t mean to say the car or Lucid can do no wrong. Of course they can, often. But I *simply cannot be bothered* to be so distressed about some of the issues people raise, because they *don’t bother me.* That doesn’t make the issues not real. It’s all about preference and the things you happen to care about. Some people swear by vim. I’m an emacs guy. Both are fine.

But you’re probably right, you’re probably just more technical than the rest of us.

[edit] P.S. speaking of Easter eggs, using our reversed Python bindings for the API, you can actually turn off all the headlights - you can’t even do that through the app or car! The DRLs stay on; thus, our Python bindings actually provide a broader feature set than what Lucid provides. You might get mad about that. I chuckle, move on, and use my Python bindings.

Didn’t mean to offend. Perhaps you’d be surprised by how often the answer is “oh, yeah, good idea - I’ll reach out to them.”

Also, again - it isn’t always a software glitch. I believe @AirDoll had to have an antenna replaced too, as did @Bobby - but if you’ve had service check it then so be it.

LOL.

Not that this is a measuring contest, but: I’ve been in cybersecurity and software engineering since 2004, studied CS at MIT, worked at Morgan Stanley, Apple, Mandiant, and spent years doing “offensive software security” (aka vulnerability discovery / RE, exploit development, and exploit weaponization) for the intelligence community in “the DC metro area,” all before starting Tinfoil Security in 2011, running it until January 2020, when I sold it to Synopsys, then leaving Synopsys in January 2022 as a Principal Software Engineer, Architect, and Director of Software Engineering as my title when I left.

So no, I don’t think the issue is that you’re “more techy.” I know every in and out of the car, because it happens to be the best car I’ve ever driven. So do @Bobby, @joec, and the other mods. Joe is a badass engineer, and Bobby runs a small software consultancy.

The issue isn’t lack of technical knowledge, but expectations. I expect every car to be imperfect, because that is how the world works - if you work in cybersecurity, you should know that better than anyone. *Everything* has bugs. That’s why you have a job.

I also look for and love finding Easter eggs. Again, I think you’d be hard-pressed to find a feature I don’t know about (but would be very very happy if you did, cuz then I’d get to learn more!)

I spent the last week or two reversing the Lucid mobile API with @segbrk, because I wanted to build a Home Assistant integration, which now works btw. Turns out Lucid has two different APIs under the hood; one REST api and one gRPC api. Why? Good question. I would guess technical debt, but I don’t know. Is it annoying? Absolutely.

I don’t mean to say the car or Lucid can do no wrong. Of course they can, often. But I *simply cannot be bothered* to be so distressed about some of the issues people raise, because they *don’t bother me.* That doesn’t make the issues not real. It’s all about preference and the things you happen to care about. Some people swear by vim. I’m an emacs guy. Both are fine.

But you’re probably right, you’re probably just more technical than the rest of us.

Man it did turn into a measuring contest quickly man. I think we would get along well and would love to know more about the restAPI integrations.

I didn't call out anyone in particular, I purely pointed out the expectations between someone like myself (and yourself) are going to be drastically different than a general consumer that was expecting their cars to "just work" as advertised and I do think that Lucid has a handful of issues that don't work as advertised. Of course there are tons of bugs in some of the own software that we ship. I dealt with one this morning for hours on a call with a customer. But its okay to call them bugs and that they will be fixed. Does the software and hardware that we ship work as intended though? Yes it sure does. We run into issues for niche feature functionalities not baseline stuff (which in my eyes is the equivalent to semi-functioning door unlocking).

Unfortunately, a lot of times here on the forums it doesn't get that reaction. Usually its a "user" problem or a "did you contact Lucid" or "Did you personally contribute to the map integration?" That type of behavior is belittling to a lot of the users here and makes our concerns feel extremely downplayed.

Again wasn't a personal shot at you or anyone else that is super technical but you and I both know that its a minority of the user base and world. Oh and the Lucid is making cars for the general masses (or atleast I would hope) so they need to knock out the user experience bugs fast. We both give Lucid the benefit of the doubt but I promise you that every time I go to my car with my girlfriend and have to manually pull out my phone to unlock the car, she isn't thinking "oh its okay that my boyfriend needs to unlock his phone just to open his car because its a startup." She's the general consumer in that scenario who thinks "Man this experience is much worse than the Tesla he had".

Man it did turn into a measuring contest quickly man. I think we would get along well and would love to know more about the restAPI integrations.
I'm certain you're right. :)

You can find the API bindings here: https://github.com/nshp/python-lucidmotors (the grpc WIP is in the `grpc-api` branch.
The Home Assistant integration is here: https://github.com/borski/ha-lucidmotors

And to be clear - I wasn't trying to brag or show off or measure. My life has been a great series of happy accidents usually precipitated by me getting into some sort of trouble, lol. I'm not exactly perfect or brilliant or anything. I just have a bias toward action and an insatiable curiosity.

I didn't call out anyone in particular, I purely pointed out the expectations between someone like myself (and yourself) are going to be drastically different than a general consumer that was expecting their cars to "just work" as advertised and I do think that Lucid has a handful of issues that don't work as advertised. Of course there are tons of bugs in some of the own software that we ship. I dealt with one this morning for hours on a call with a customer. But its okay to call them bugs and that they will be fixed. Does the software and hardware that we ship work as intended though? Yes it sure does. We run into issues for niche feature functionalities not baseline stuff (which in my eyes is the equivalent to semi-functioning door unlocking).
I know you didn't call anyone out in particular; the reason my response might seem a bit overhanded is because it's a really common refrain, and I'm frankly a bit tired of hearing it. I guess that may be the difference between us mods reading every thread, and most people reading only a few. You'd be surprised at how many people show up and start yelling about how technical they are and how we "just don't understand" when, often, the exact opposite is true.

The difference between what you ship and what Lucid ships is adaptability. You can fix software later, OTA, or by handing the customer another package. If the fob uses UWB bluetooth, though, and Apple's and Google's bluetooth stack saves performance / battery by turning off regularly until the phone moves (for example), you're just chasing their changing requirements. The only option you really have then is to replace all the fobs and antennas with something that isn't UWB bluetooth, and that is very very costly. That's the biggest difference; once you ship hardware, it is very difficult to change. Software? Sure, that can be patched.

Unfortunately, a lot of times here on the forums it doesn't get that reaction. Usually its a "user" problem or a "did you contact Lucid" or "Did you personally contribute to the map integration?" That type of behavior is belittling to a lot of the users here and makes our concerns feel extremely downplayed.
I understand why you would feel that way; honestly, I do. The unfortunate truth of it, though, is that usually it is a user problem or something service needs to handle, in the vast majority of cases (I'd say greater than 80%, just off the cuff).

For the other 20%, we can really only do one of two things: commiserate, or try to think creatively of workarounds. We try very very hard to do the latter; hell, @Bobby has a charging wedge, magnets, and a reset named after him, haha. Contributing to HERE maps is one way of helping to solve your own problem; that isn't belittling, but should be helpful.

Commiserating might feel good, but isn't actually useful for anyone else, unfortunately. Sometimes, you just need to commiserate, though, so point taken. We do tend to be 'fixers' here, and as my wife would happily tell you, sometimes she just needs me to shut up, listen, and hug her while she cries.

Again wasn't a personal shot at you or anyone else that is super technical but you and I both know that its a minority of the user base and world.
Noted. Didn't think it was specifically a personal attack, and mine was less aimed at you than a more general commentary on this topic, despite it starting with the 'measuring contest.' You were, unfortunately, the one standing in the line of fire, haha, but not the main belligerent. :p

Oh and the Lucid is making cars for the general masses (or atleast I would hope) so they need to knock out the user experience bugs fast. We both give Lucid the benefit of the doubt but I promise you that every time I go to my car with my girlfriend and have to manually pull out my phone to unlock the car, she isn't thinking "oh its okay that my boyfriend needs to unlock his phone just to open his car because its a startup." She's the general consumer in that scenario who thinks "Man this experience is much worse than the Tesla he had".
Oh, I agree completely. I wish you saw it when I got it. It was embarassing. I literally would pray every time I showed it to anyone that if they touched the screen it would work and not crash or lag.

Today's Lucid software is about on-par with Tesla's in terms of stability; I've now driven both extensively, and I had to reset my Model 3 rental multiple times a week, for various reasons. The difference is that the Lucid still has a few more obvious annoyances, like the imperfect fob detection, and that Lucid now has a reputation for bad software, which was deserved in the 1.0 days but hasn't been deserved since 2.0. As a result of that reputation, though, people do tend to scrutinize it more; that's human nature.

No offense taken, but I'm generally confused as to why people keep telling me to get it checked as I would have thought that's the first thing people would have done. Common sense is not so common at times.

I think it's fair to compare to a Tesla. I've had a Tesla since 2013, at the time, it was much worse than Lucid is today. Being the only decent Evs at the time, it's tolerable. As technology advanced over the past decade and Tesla maturing, I guess, at least to me, it's no longer as tolerable. From Model S to Model X and now to Lucid, it felt like a downgrade for the software portion. With Tesla on every corner of the street, I still would prefer the Lucid, just hope they continue to make improvements to the software.

Media issue, wondering if anyone else is having this problem since the update. My media keeps automatically pausing every one minute and twelve seconds. Not being cheeky here - I timed it after it repeatedly happened. It pauses in SXM, AM/FM and Spotify (the only ones use). CarPlay works fine - I'm guessing because it isn't native to the system.

Problem solved with a a logo reset.

LOL.

So no, I don’t think the issue is that you’re “more techy.” I know every in and out of the car, because it happens to be the best car I’ve ever driven. So do @Bobby, @joec, and the other mods. Joe is a badass engineer, and Bobby runs a major software consultancy.

[edit] P.S. speaking of Easter eggs, using our reversed Python bindings for the API, you can actually turn off all the headlights - you can’t even do that through the app or car! The DRLs stay on; thus, our Python bindings actually provide a broader feature set than what Lucid provides. You might get mad about that. I chuckle, move on, and use my Python bindings.
I feel like such an under achiever right now! 😂 I always enjoy hearing about people’s success.

Exactly the same here.
Android - samsung galaxy ultra
Spoke with a mobile tech today who mentioned 2-3 other customers with similar issues Android/Bluetooth. Has reported to Infotainment team, but seems like we may need to wait for an update. Bummer because makes phone usage tough on commutes.
One workaround that works for me sometimes. On an outgoing call, the first call the recipient cannot hear you, if you hang up and call again, the second call is clear. Subsequent calls after that are hit/miss. A bit of a pain, but does work on the longer drives.

Spoke with a mobile tech today who mentioned 2-3 other customers with similar issues Android/Bluetooth. Has reported to Infotainment team, but seems like we may need to wait for an update. Bummer because makes phone usage tough on commutes.
One workaround that works for me sometimes. On an outgoing call, the first call the recipient cannot hear you, if you hang up and call again, the second call is clear. Subsequent calls after that are hit/miss. A bit of a pain, but does work on the longer drives.

You should be very skeptical whenever you hear that a mobile tech has "reported to infotainment team."

If you are having an issue, you should report it to service yourself... I doubt that the infotainment team knows anything about it.

You should be very skeptical whenever you hear that a mobile tech has "reported to infotainment team."

If you are having an issue, you should report it to service yourself... I doubt that the infotainment team knows anything about it.

Agreed and did that last week.

I've done it from Google Maps with the update. I haven't tried apple but will later today. As an aside you can also use the Lucid app to input an address and send it to the car.

It’s working today. So I’m not sure what happened yesterday. Perhaps just internet connection issue.

With this update, I also noticed that the phantom battery loss has declined. Overnight and while at work, I have noticed very little to no loss from the battery. Has anyone seen the same improvement?

With this update, I also noticed that the phantom battery loss has declined. Overnight and while at work, I have noticed very little to no loss from the battery. Has anyone seen the same improvement?
My car already had almost no (or very little) phantom drain.

LOL.

I really want to add, I have friends visiting with their X5 and that thing has the flakiest Carplay I've ever seen. It's not always the Lucid that's tripping over here. I've seen a friends Mazda 3 have flaky rear camera behavior and another Mach-E have to reboot to restore Carplay.

I know a lot of us have the right software intuitions because of our experiences but that same experience should tell us that it's not _always_ so simple.

For whatever reason with 2.1.42 Carplay is super stable now for both my Wife and I.

(also, damn the HA integration is so cool! Is there a separate thread on that I've missed? I'd like to think of interesting ways to use it)

I really want to add, I have friends visiting with their X5 and that thing has the flakiest Carplay I've ever seen. It's not always the Lucid that's tripping over here. I've seen a friends Mazda 3 have flaky rear camera behavior and another Mach-E have to reboot to restore Carplay.

I know a lot of us have the right software intuitions because of our experiences but that same experience should tell us that it's not _always_ so simple.

For whatever reason with 2.1.42 Carplay is super stable now for both my Wife and I.

(also, damn the HA integration is so cool! Is there a separate thread on that I've missed? I'd like to think of interesting ways to use it)
card.jpg

It is very cool work in progress but very nice to be able to make custome alerts etc......Thank You ....

woah - how did you do that?
as soon as i am done there are 3 popup as per charging alerts etc I will post the code still sorting it out and graphics are bit rough not much out there have to do screen grabs and clean them up trunk frunk open etc.... I started with a tesla project as a model but it is truning into its own child .....as all projects do!

Again thanks to

Nick &​

borski

Last edited:
Back