Newer Teslas do not come with key fobs

When we took delivery of our Model S Plaid last August, we were given two key fobs and two key cards. We use the key fob routinely, as the mobile key is too iffy to rely on consistently. Sometimes, though, the key fob will not start the car although it opened the door. When that happens, the mobile key does not start the car, either. We have to take a key card out of a wallet and rub it over the wireless phone charger pad to start the car. Sometimes this will happen at every stop on a multiple errand run.

We've owned an EV since 2015. It's hard to accept that seven years later, with two new EVs in the garage, we still find getting into and starting our cars something of a crap shoot. Only our 2018 Honda Odyssey always lets us in and starts up without a contest of wills.
Interesting, as I have never had one issue with the mobile key on my refresh S. It is the only thing I ever use. I do carry the card key in my wallet though, just in case. One reason I wanted a Tesla, a small one, was that I would not need a key fob anymore. So far, that has been great!. 🙂

Not quite. In the case of Tesla, you now need an external qualifying device that you have to pay for in order to gain the benefits of proximity unlocks and remote car controls. Its quite narrow minded considering the goal of making EVs more accessible, not less.
I would think in a venn diagram the “people buying high end EVs” blob would fit entirely inside the “people who use Apple or Android phone” blob. Not same as charging cables (I guess it’s Tesla, Mercedes, Hyundai, and Kia now that exclude them)

I would think in a venn diagram the “people buying high end EVs” blob would fit entirely inside the “people who use Apple or Android phone” blob. Not same as charging cables (I guess it’s Tesla, Mercedes, Hyundai, and Kia now that exclude them)
You seem to be missing the mark on tha “making EVs more accessible” part. The point is to expand appeal beyond tech enthusiasts and in this case regarding the precedent, we’re not only looking at the high end market. Do keep in mind, most of the wealthy car buys barely know how to use smartphones beyond their basic usages. You’re underestimating the barrier to entry on EVs if they are dependent on phones rather complimentary.

You seem to be missing the mark on tha “making EVs more accessible” part. The point is to expand appeal beyond tech enthusiasts and in this case regarding the precedent, we’re not only looking at the high end market. Do keep in mind, most of the wealthy car buys barely know how to use smartphones beyond their basic usages. You’re underestimating the barrier to entry on EVs if they are dependent on phones rather complimentary.
Maybe I’m of the wrong generation but I don’t know anyone, up through my parents generation (retired but only within the last 5 years or so), that doesn’t have and extensively use smartphones. I’m definitely hoping that by the time I get my Pure I don’t need to carry around a fob. For the Tesla S and X it’s easy for me to imagine people alienated by the yoke, but not so much the key fob.

Perhaps it’s more similar to Apple’s elimination of the headphone jack. In that scenario I was not happy at the time but Apple felt it was progress.

FOB 4 life, especially because the Lucid fob is plastic and slim. I can't even feel it in my pocket next to my wallet.

Haha- that’s what I’m worried about. I don’t think I’ve ever lost a set of keys but managed to lose 2 stand-alone fobs. I now attach Air Tags to them.

We received two key fobs with our new Model S in February and I'm glad to have them. We live in an area where electric cars aren't the norm yet and I've found it easier to take the key fob for valet situations (hospitals, etc.).

This has been in place for a while I believe. You get 2 cards only and if you want a fob then you need to cough up the $. It's certainly been the case for the Model 3 for 2 years so not surprised to see it pushing through to the S and X also.

I doubt Lucid will even consider doing this for the time being considering how many issues people are having with unlocking and locking the car. The fob seems the most reliable at this point.
Speak for yourself :). One of my two fobs barely works 75% of the time. The car doesn't respond to its pushes. (I'm having service look at it right now).

For Tesla: I don't really mind this. For my model 3, the phone app worked fantastic, I rarely even kept the key fob on me. It's one of the few things they did really well.

Back