• NOTICE (May 14 - 11:00 PM - 1:00 AM ET)

LucidOwners.com server will be down for maintenance during this scheduled time.
    Please note there will be a period of time when the forum is unaccessible. Thank you for your patience and understanding.

New UX, New car. Check out my wrap.

Looks great! I was considering silver wrapping my white AGT (which I switched to when silver was delayed) but the local installer cautioned me that the vinyl wraps weren’t very durable. Did your installer give you any assurances as to how long it would hold up?

Looks great! I was considering silver wrapping my white AGT (which I switched to when silver was delayed) but the local installer cautioned me that the vinyl wraps weren’t very durable. Did your installer give you any assurances as to how long it would hold up?
Yes, vinyl wraps are not durable in the sense that it's not like PPF. It's much thinner. It may protect against some road debris but that's about it. It's more for changing the color. Depending on the quality of the film, it should last about 4-5 years. In terms of assurances and repairs, I'll ask them, but if something happens to the wrap, I'll probably have to pay for that section to be redone, but I'll confirm.

Now if you have the money to spend and want to protect the original paint, you can do PPF first and then vinyl wrap over that for aesthetics. In terms of protecting the vinyl, I'm not sure if you can PPF over vinyl. I'll reach out to the shop. I have to bring it in for final touch ups in a week. I'll report back.

Yes, vinyl wraps are not durable in the sense that it's not like PPF. It's much thinner. It may protect against some road debris but that's about it. It's more for changing the color. Depending on the quality of the film, it should last about 4-5 years. In terms of assurances and repairs, I'll ask them, but if something happens to the wrap, I'll probably have to pay for that section to be redone, but I'll confirm.

Now if you have the money to spend and want to protect the original paint, you can do PPF first and then vinyl wrap over that for aesthetics. In terms of protecting the vinyl, I'm not sure if you can PPF over vinyl. I'll reach out to the shop. I have to bring it in for final touch ups in a week. I'll report back.
PPF is available in a wide range of designs and colors, besides the obvious “clear” PPF. Check out Stek Fashion PPF.

PPF is available in a wide range of designs and colors, besides the obvious “clear” PPF. Check out Stek Fashion PPF.
good point. I was aware of that option when looking into this and thought about it. They even have color shifting PPF available. But I wasn't interested in the current color offering for the PPF. I wanted the brushed look. @BradSholl you might want to look into what @3rdMotor was referring to, if you want a more durable color option.

Yes, you can. That’s what my shop told me.

Yes, you can. That’s what my shop told me.
That makes sense. I remember asking him about it, and it doesn't work for me, because of the wrap I chose. The brushed film has texture and doesn't play nice. If I had chosen a gloss or satin, etc, the front PPF on top was part of the pricing from what I remember.

Just an FYI I have the same rap be careful with cleaning products they seem to build up in the texture and then turn white when exposed to the Sun haven't yet found something to clean it properly try to regular soap and water but it seems to be difficult at times of course ceramic coating is supposed to take care of it but so far it hasn't really been effective

Just an FYI I have the same rap be careful with cleaning products they seem to build up in the texture and then turn white when exposed to the Sun haven't yet found something to clean it properly try to regular soap and water but it seems to be difficult at times of course ceramic coating is supposed to take care of it but so far it hasn't really been effective
Thanks for the tip. I haven't tried to clean it yet. The wrap was ceramic coated after so its still pretty fresh even after 2 rain sessions. But eventually I'm gonna have to wash it. If you find a product that's suitable, let me know. I might just use the waterless wash solution that's been mentioned somewhere else on the forum

I will and if you find something please pass it this way I only have it on the trim on the car and on the roof and I have the graphite color but it is really quite beautiful enjoy your new toy

has anyone ever researched flexishield cosmetic ppf wraps? they have a pretty wide variety of color selection including color shifting and pearlescents too

has anyone ever researched flexishield cosmetic ppf wraps? they have a pretty wide variety of color selection including color shifting and pearlescents too

There is a dream owner in the Bay area that did a color shift PPF done at the same shop that I had my car wrapped. Looked good. I think it's more about the quality of the shop and their experience with the material than anything. Of course, I'm sure there will be an added cost, but I didn't inquire how much it was.

I will and if you find something please pass it this way I only have it on the trim on the car and on the roof and I have the graphite color but it is really quite beautiful enjoy your new toy
Saw your car pics as well The brushed look on the trim pieces turned out really nice. Move accent pieces I still haven't washed the car yet, but it's gonna need it soon as I drove it in the rain. I'm probably gonna use a gentle car soap for matte finishes, that I used for one of my prior cars. Hopefully it won't leave any residue.

I'm using this product to clean the Brushed vinyl and its been working out well. Not residue as far as I can tell.

Matte wrap cleaner
41FcKFx+63L._AC_.jpg

Did you find anything that works for you?

For those interested, here is a link to the video of my car getting wrapped from a few months ago

Sick color! One of kind!

Sick color! One of kind!
I'm really enjoying it. I've been avoiding the rain for the time being to keep it clean. They put ceramic on top of the wrap so it has been easy to clean. Haven't had to wash it yet. And its already been several months.

Back