New software update for Gravity - 3.5

Imagine for a moment that you’re not on this forum. A week ago today, you received an email with a link to an article that said 3.5 was rolling out today. That article hasn’t been updated. You’re not on this forum, so you have no idea that news about a delay was posted by an employee in a forum thread that’s now 14 pages long and counting. How long do you figure it will be until Lucid either rolls out the update or more broadly communicates the delay?
They’ve already forgotten about the update, but are super excited about the upcoming ping pong tournament with Marty Supreme showing up…
 
Imagine for a moment that you’re not on this forum. A week ago today, you received an email with a link to an article that said 3.5 was rolling out today. That article hasn’t been updated. You’re not on this forum, so you have no idea that news about a delay was posted by an employee in a forum thread that’s now 14 pages long and counting. How long do you figure it will be until Lucid either rolls out the update or more broadly communicates the delay?
They responded where people were being the most vocal. Seems the rest of the internet didn’t care and moved on already so why bother broadcasting your misstep to the entire PR machine and suffer unnecessary consequences.

Apart from the die hards in here, guessing many owners outside the forum didn’t kick up enough of a stink to warrant a mass communication. Reminds me of a comment that BMW made……

“Stephan Durach, the automaker’s Senior Vice President of UI/UX Development, said that customers aren’t relying on CarPlay as much as the internet or the car industry itself might have you believe, and that the whole image of the smartphone mirroring feature is a “myth.””

Makes you wonder if it was resource time well spent vs not focusing on things like the HUD and other promised features in the native UI/UX 😐
 
They responded where people were being the most vocal. Seems the rest of the internet didn’t care and moved on already so why bother broadcasting your misstep to the entire PR machine and suffer unnecessary consequences.

Apart from the die hards in here, guessing many owners outside the forum didn’t kick up enough of a stink to warrant a mass communication. Reminds me of a comment that BMW made……

“Stephan Durach, the automaker’s Senior Vice President of UI/UX Development, said that customers aren’t relying on CarPlay as much as the internet or the car industry itself might have you believe, and that the whole image of the smartphone mirroring feature is a “myth.””

Makes you wonder if it was resource time well spent vs not focusing on things like the HUD and other promised features in the native UI/UX 😐
Hoping people don’t notice is indeed a PR strategy, but it’ll blow up in your face now and again. Maybe not this time, I guess.

BMW surely has good data on this, but I’m definitely one of those heavy CarPlay users who will make a purchase decision around the platform. The text message interface is better than any OEM system I’ve dealt with and my wife and I coordinate childcare during our commutes, I switch frequently between Apple Music and Apple’s podcast app, all of my addresses for travel between work destinations are on my phone, etc. The last 6 months have been a hassle. I may be in the minority here, but I’ll appreciate this update a lot more than a HUD projecting lane lines next to actual lane lines.
 
but I’ll appreciate this update a lot more than a HUD projecting lane lines next to actual lane lines.
Problem is, people paid good money for those features on that HUD. CarPlay / AA wasn’t a paid add on.
 
Problem is, people paid good money for those features on that HUD. CarPlay / AA wasn’t a paid add on.
Fair enough. I actually do think the AR HUD functionality would be cool, if it can really be done. The truth is, they need to implement all features that are currently on the website, but not in the car.
 
Imagine for a moment that you’re not on this forum. A week ago today, you received an email with a link to an article that said 3.5 was rolling out today. That article hasn’t been updated. You’re not on this forum, so you have no idea that news about a delay was posted by an employee in a forum thread that’s now 14 pages long and counting. How long do you figure it will be until Lucid either rolls out the update or more broadly communicates the delay?
I’m still trying to understand the meaning of a “gentle delay.” I’ve never heard of that type of delay.

I’ve heard of a “short delay”, a “momentary pause”, and a “testing delay.” It must be a PR term meant to soothe owner frustration and introduce ambiguity into the timing of the OTA release, because I’m pretty sure it’s not a software term.

Tomorrow will be a week since the CEO announced “the update is rolling out today” at the Investor Conference. If you attended that conference, heard that, and then heard it still hasn’t rolled out, what are you thinking about this company?

If you’re an investor are you thinking “I’m glad this company takes its time with software rollouts to make them right?” Or are you thinking “this CEO can’t meet his own deadlines?” Probably a little of both.

I think after the software failures this fall, and public apology from the CEO, Lucid can’t afford another screw up, so it was prudent to delay. Still, I interpreted a “gentle delay” as 24-48 hours, but the definition of “gentle” is open to interpretation, which I guess is the point.
 
Last edited:
I’m still trying to understand the meaning of a “gentle delay.” I’ve never heard of that type of delay.

I’ve heard of a “short delay”, a “momentary pause”, and a “testing delay.” It must be a PR term meant to soothe owner frustration and introduce ambiguity into the timing of the OTA release, because I’m pretty sure it’s not a software term.

...
I'd much rather they take an extra week or two and ship something solid than push out a half-baked patch just to hit a deadline.

I recall someone got their car bricked while updating to 3.4.1! No thanks, I'll wait a bit 🙂
 
Maybe Lucid's announcement was enough to push Tesla forward with Car Play??
From Bloomberg yesterday :

“Tesla Inc. is developing support for Apple Inc.’s CarPlay system in its vehicles, according to people with knowledge of the matter, working to add one of the most highly requested features by customers.

The carmaker has started testing the capability internally, according to the people, who asked not to be identified because the effort is still private. The CarPlay platform — long supported by other automakers — shows users a version of the iPhone’s software that’s optimized for vehicle infotainment systems. It’s considered a must-have option by many drivers.

Adding CarPlay would mark a stunning reversal for Tesla and Chief Executive Officer Elon Musk, who long ignored pleas to implement the popular feature. Musk has criticized Apple for years, particularly its App Store policies, and was angered by the company’s poaching of his engineers when it set out to build its own car.”
 
Problem is, people paid good money for those features on that HUD. CarPlay / AA wasn’t a paid add on.
Overall issue is they ”promised” a lot at launch and now have a good amount of catching up.

My sense is they know via surveys and sales what owners want and are prioritizing those features to the extent they can. I think PaaK is an exception for whatever technical reason.

I agree the HUD needs TLC, but again, I think there are far fewer cars with HUD and so it may well have been deprioritized and/or it’s technically time consuming and less ROI.

Regardless, CarPlay will come at some point.
 
I’m still trying to understand the meaning of a “gentle delay.” I’ve never heard of that type of delay.

I’ve heard of a “short delay”, a “momentary pause”, and a “testing delay.” It must be a PR term meant to soothe owner frustration and introduce ambiguity into the timing of the OTA release, because I’m pretty sure it’s not a software term.

Tomorrow will be a week since the CEO announced “the update is rolling out today” at the Investor Conference. If you attended that conference, heard that, and then heard it still hasn’t rolled out, what are you thinking about this company?

If you’re an investor are you thinking “I’m glad this company takes its time with software rollouts to make them right?” Or are you thinking “this CEO can’t meet his own deadlines?” Probably a little of both.

I think after the software failures this fall, and public apology from the CEO, Lucid can’t afford another screw up, so it was prudent to delay. Still, I interpreted a “gentle delay” as 24-48 hours, but the definition of “gentle” is open to interpretation, which I guess is the point.
“Gentle delay” was a term I used, and for those who know me, it had a large serving of sarcasm ;-)
 
They responded where people were being the most vocal. Seems the rest of the internet didn’t care
I agree! And, I'm thankful they responded to us- makes me feel good!
 
so Bobby,
not clear how many updates per day are being delivered?
 
“Gentle delay” was a term I used, and for those who know me, it had a large serving of sarcasm ;-)
Ah, I should’ve gone back and read the post! Lol. Now we know the origin.
 
That’s it, I’m sick of waiting for the Apple CarPlay update. I’m trading in my Gravity for this beauty that already has Apple CarPlay.

IMG_4616.webp
 
That’s it, I’m sick of waiting for the Apple CarPlay update. I’m trading in my Gravity for this beauty that already has Apple CarPlay.

View attachment 37468
It sure does look like that car wants to play

And boy, does it have gravity
 
Problem is, people paid good money for those features on that HUD. CarPlay / AA wasn’t a paid add on.

True but I look at it more like CarPlay/AA is a basic feature that everyone paid for, not just those of us that upgraded to the Tech Package or Dream Edition.
 
...interesting that considering all the ambient lighting and HUD complaints on here you still consider the Tech Pkg an "upgrade"
 
...interesting that considering all the ambient lighting and HUD complaints on here you still consider the Tech Pkg an "upgrade"

Well it was an upgrade package so yeah but I don't have a problem with my HUD or lighting tbh. I wish the lighting was more adjustable like in other cars and I do want the HUD features they promised but nothing more than that really.

Also, "all the ambient lighting...complaints" is a handful of people isn't it? Not downplaying their issues but it seems to be a pretty limited problem.
 
Back
Top