New configurator

xponents

Cars
Kia EV9, future Air?
1683232648870.png

Just found this today, not sure how long its been here for.
Sadly though, it looks like the 3d functionality is gone.

I enjoyed dreaming in 3D about owning a Lucid one day! It was fun opening doors on a AGT and imagining sitting inside. I still use the 3D picture of the Fathom Blue Pure RWD that I have on order as my Zoom background. Definitely a conversation starter while waiting for others to join the meeting.

I enjoyed dreaming in 3D about owning a Lucid one day! It was fun opening doors on a AGT and imagining sitting inside. I still use the 3D picture of the Fathom Blue Pure RWD that I have on order as my Zoom background. Definitely a conversation starter while waiting for others to join the meeting.
Sadly the door opening and that fun stuff is gone.

So much for a premium online ordering experience. They boasted so much about having an amazing and immersive 3D configurator experience, and now they remove it?? Seems like a waste of hard work coding and designing the 3D model. Not only that, but the new configurator is lacking information or pictures that actually entice people to select options. You can't even make the argument that it's saving resources, since they already had everything built, and then spent extra time making something worse.

I'd call this lazy design on Lucid's part, and if they had any sense (and want to actually entice buyers and not bore them with a basic and uninspiring website), they'd bring back the old configurator.

So much for a premium online ordering experience. They boasted so much about having an amazing and immersive 3D configurator experience, and now they remove it?? Seems like a waste of hard work coding and designing the 3D model. Not only that, but the new configurator is lacking information or pictures that actually entice people to select options. You can't even make the argument that it's saving resources, since they already had everything built, and then spent extra time making something worse.

I'd call this lazy design on Lucid's part, and if they had any sense (and want to actually entice buyers and not bore them with a basic and uninspiring website), they'd bring back the old configurator.
Actually, this was the first way I found out about the lucid. I read a article from a NVDA stock post that talked about how the configurator was cloud powered with nvidias ray traced GPUs. Just give us back the old one!!

It was more work to remove the old one and build something new, so lazy is an odd word choice.

My guess is there are internal reasons for the change. Or they did some research and figured out the old configurator was ineffective. You’d be surprised how many “wow” features on web sites are utter shite for actually accomplishing the end goal.

It could be just layoff aftermath. They may have limited resources and want to keep things simple and optimizing where resources go to.

It could be just layoff aftermath. They may have limited resources and want to keep things simple and optimizing where resources go to.
Well yeah... but that configurator was always there! Unless you mean computer resources, maybe that would make sense.

Well yeah... but that configurator was always there! Unless you mean computer resources, maybe that would make sense.
There are element in maintenance of code when Pure trim are being pushing out with newer options. And it is needed for future proof as Gravity is coming soon.

There are element in maintenance of code when Pure trim are being pushing out with newer options. And it is needed for future proof as Gravity is coming soon.
Right.. this configurator does seem more equipped for options and packages. Preparation for gravity?

As much as I liked the old configurator, it did have some performance issues. They may have decided a well working site is better than a site that was cool and worked part of the time.

The 3D configurator was the product of some other company - forgot the name - as I discovered when digging into it to try and extract the 3D models they use.

Turns out it renders server side and streams a video in real time. Pretty neat actually.

Guessing they decided that the benefit did not outweigh the cost.

The 3D configurator was the product of some other company - forgot the name - as I discovered when digging into it to try and extract the 3D models they use.

Turns out it renders server side and streams a video in real time. Pretty neat actually.

Guessing they decided that the benefit did not outweigh the cost.
Cloud powered, wasnt that publicly known?

It was more work to remove the old one and build something new, so lazy is an odd word choice.

My guess is there are internal reasons for the change. Or they did some research and figured out the old configurator was ineffective. You’d be surprised how many “wow” features on web sites are utter shite for actually accomplishing the end goal.
I called it lazy because on the home page of the lucid website, they changed the animation for their mission statement from a "type as you scroll" to a simple fade, and they changed the Air's page to something super basic. Before their web pages were designed with great attention to detail, including animations, formatting and how objects move relative to others as you scroll. Nearly all of that is gone, and replaced with simple static pages. Lucid is definitely making things easier for themselves on the website, and losing their attention to detail touch. As for effectiveness, for me at least, the configurator is where I fall in love with any car, and certainly how I fell in love with the Air.

It's a trend that other companies (ahem Apple) are doing. If you compare Apple's website from 5 years ago to now, the difference in the perceived design effort is clear as day; before there was great attention to detail in how objects moved, and now its just a bunch of generic boxes (boring).

I called it lazy because on the home page of the lucid website, they changed the animation for their mission statement from a "type as you scroll" to a simple fade, and they changed the Air's page to something super basic. Before their web pages were designed with great attention to detail, including animations, formatting and how objects move relative to others as you scroll. Nearly all of that is gone, and replaced with simple static pages. Lucid is definitely making things easier for themselves on the website, and losing their attention to detail touch. As for effectiveness, for me at least, the configurator is where I fall in love with any car, and certainly how I fell in love with the Air.

It's a trend that other companies (ahem Apple) are doing. If you compare Apple's website from 5 years ago to now, the difference in the perceived design effort is clear as day; before there was great attention to detail in how objects moved, and now its just a bunch of generic boxes (boring).
I mean, I HATED those animations. On computer they are super choppy.
The configurator is also how I found out about lucid, so I relate there,

I mean, I HATED those animations. On computer they are super choppy.
The configurator is also how I found out about lucid, so I relate there,
I never had any issues with choppiness on those animations, and my computer isn't exactly that powerful either. If Lucid is making changes for resource efficiency on devices, it still wouldn't really make sense to remove the option to have a 3D viewer, since it defaults to 2D and then switches over. Hopefully it's just a mistake with hyperlinking, since the configure website still exists.

I never had any issues with choppiness on those animations, and my computer isn't exactly that powerful either. If Lucid is making changes for resource efficiency on devices, it still wouldn't really make sense to remove the option to have a 3D viewer, since it defaults to 2D and then switches over. Hopefully it's just a mistake with hyperlinking, since the configure website still exists.
Not exactly "choppy." I meant that when you scroll on a computer, you need to use the scroll wheel or arrow keys, and it is impossible to maintain the constant speed needed to make the animations look good.

The configurator also was pretty useless on mobile. Where a majority of users are surfing the web these days.

Like I said, research into usability reveals all sorts of things that challenge your personal, anecdotal experiences.

Simpler is almost always more effective.

The configurator also was pretty useless on mobile. Where a majority of users are surfing the web these days.

Like I said, research into usability reveals all sorts of things that challenge your personal, anecdotal experiences.

Simpler is almost always more effective.
Im fine with the rest of the configurator, im just really sad to see the interactive one go.

Back