Musk: "We dug our own grave with Cybertruck."

Tesla2.0

Referral Code - F0ZQ8SWA
Verified Owner
Cars
Lucid Air Grand Touring
Referral Code
F0ZQ8SWA
This is a very bad thing, no matter what EV brand you like. We desperately need more EV's, and trucks have largely stayed away from that trend. More mass production of the Silverado and Sierra EV's has been delayed to late 2025... the lightning on an old platform cannot sell with 6000 units in stock... it is not looking good for the electrification of the truck segment. At least the hybrids are selling better with the Maverick and F150, but other truck brands are reluctant to accept it. Any EV is good for the future of the auto industry.

This is a very bad thing, no matter what EV brand you like. We desperately need more EV's, and trucks have largely stayed away from that trend. More mass production of the Silverado and Sierra EV's has been delayed to late 2025... the lightning on an old platform cannot sell with 6000 units in stock... it is not looking good for the electrification of the truck segment. At least the hybrids are selling better with the Maverick and F150, but other truck brands are reluctant to accept it. Any EV is good for the future of the auto industry.
They didn't need to make it as crazy looking or complicated to manufacture as it is. It's also seemingly lacking a lot of useful features as a truck. This is well deserved and was entirely avoidable.

They didn't need to make it as crazy looking or complicated to manufacture as it is. It's also seemingly lacking a lot of useful features as a truck. This is well deserved and was entirely avoidable.
Yes, it is not too good. However, we should not be hoping that it fails, more options will increase the amount of people switching to electric, especially considering this is tesla.

They are delayed bc too many of new heavy price tag trucks are still sitting at dealers’ parking lot. This UAW strike not only delay of Big 3 future new products, it is actually good timing for them to furrow or lay off workers. We are in difficult business environment with higher interest rate compare to 18 months ago with hardly no interest rate.

I agree any hit to EV adoption is not good. But I also agree with Peter Rawlinson, who is on the record stating that trucks (particularly ones meant for actual hauling) are a bad fit for current EV technology.

Once solid state batteries become practical, sure. But right now, any EV truck is severely compromised as a tool you use to make a living.

What Rivian did, appealing to the truck-loving crowd as a status car, rather than a true working machine, was brilliant. Their R1-T works perfectly for that purpose.

Cybertruck is trying to appeal to the hard-core working folk who actually need a truck. I don't think they will do well there. They'll still sell some to die-hard fans, and some for sure to the status crowd, but it's doubtful Tesla is going to gain many new first-time customers with this design. Especially now that they are so late to actually ship, all the best bits of the original design have been taken out, the price is likely to be higher than anticipated, and there are plenty of other options. All in a market that seems to be rejecting EVs as practical enough.

Yes, it is not too good. However, we should not be hoping that it fails, more options will increase the amount of people switching to electric, especially considering this is tesla.
In this, I disagree completely. A bad design should fail regardless of it being an EV or not. The look may be polarizing, but it's not bringing any technological advantage to the table, and is taking away useful things for it's intended purpose. The F150 and Silverado are more useful at work trucks. The R1T is more useful for overlanding. What does the Cyber truck bring to the table for consumers besides being made by Tesla?

That being said, we have no idea really what the specs and capabilities are at all. I also still have my reservation so...🤷

I agree any hit to EV adoption is not good. But I also agree with Peter Rawlinson, who is on the record stating that trucks (particularly ones meant for actual hauling) are a bad fit for current EV technology.

Once solid state batteries become practical, sure. But right now, any EV truck is severely compromised as a tool you use to make a living.

What Rivian did, appealing to the truck-loving crowd as a status car, rather than a true working machine, was brilliant. Their R1-T works perfectly for that purpose.

Cybertruck is trying to appeal to the hard-core working folk who actually need a truck. I don't think they will do well there. They'll still sell some to die-hard fans, and some for sure to the status crowd, but it's doubtful Tesla is going to gain many new first-time customers with this design. Especially now that they are so late to actually ship, all the best bits of the original design have been taken out, the price is likely to be higher than anticipated, and there are plenty of other options. All in a market that seems to be rejecting EVs as practical enough.
This is intreresting, as I actually thought the complete opposite. To me, it looked like the R1T was the actual work truck(albeit with a small bed) with features like the gear tunnel and 4 motors. It seems very good for offroading.

On the other hand, I think the Cybertruck is a status car, mainly due to its function reducing features like the flying bed buttresses. This however, does increase the polarizing status factor. Yes, it has things like strong glass and bullet resistant steel, but this is just meant for celebrities so they can shock people.

What does the Cyber truck bring to the table for consumers besides being made by Tesla?
Nothing. Thats the beauty of it. Truck customers, people that may have traditionally bought a gas truck, will buy the Cybertruck. You could argue "Why don't they just get a R1T or Lightning," but Tesla has more brand recognition than them. In addition, those trucks are projected to be more expensive than the CT(R1T is almost confirmed, Silverado EV and Lightning might be close to its price) which will hamper people buying them.

People can buy a Model Y over a Mach E or a Fisker Ocean, which are subjectively better than it. Why assume they won't do the same for the Cybertruck?

Nothing. Thats the beauty of it. Truck customers, people that may have traditionally bought a gas truck, will buy the Cybertruck. You could argue "Why don't they just get a R1T or Lightning," but Tesla has more brand recognition than them. In addition, those trucks are projected to be more expensive than the CT(R1T is almost confirmed, Silverado EV and Lightning might be close to its price) which will hamper people buying them.

People can buy a Model Y over a Mach E or a Fisker Ocean, which are subjectively better than it. Why assume they won't do the same for the Cybertruck?

Remember, the competition isn't between EV makers when it comes to trucks. Its all EV trucks vs. ICE trucks. If Tesla is out to just steal customers from Rivian or Ford Lightning buyers, they will get nowhere. They need much higher volume than that to be successful at this point.

Cybertruck has to get traditional ICE truck owners to want to buy one. I don't see that happening in droves. Or, to put it another way, if the much more familiar-looking Lightning didn't coax a lot of these folks to buy, Cybertruck is not going to do much better. It's just to "weird" to win these much more conservative buyers over. (And I mean conservative in terms of risk aversion, not political persuasion. Although that largely applies as well.)

Ford has 100 times the "brand recognition" of Tesla in the truck world.

Who has a better reputation as an EV company is irrelevant.

In this, I disagree completely. A bad design should fail regardless of it being an EV or not. The look may be polarizing, but it's not bringing any technological advantage to the table, and is taking away useful things for it's intended purpose. The F150 and Silverado are more useful at work trucks. The R1T is more useful for overlanding. What does the Cyber truck bring to the table for consumers besides being made by Tesla?

That being said, we have no idea really what the specs and capabilities are at all. I also still have my reservation so...🤷

You would make a lot of people on this forum absolutely giddy if you post a picture of you next to or in your new Cybertruck, if that time ever comes.

You would make a lot of people on this forum absolutely giddy if you post a picture of you next to or in your new Cybertruck, if that time ever comes.
I would love to. I have a need for a full size truck for work and am waiting for either the Cyber truck or Silverado. Right now, it's leaning towards Silverado!

I would love to. I have a need for a full size truck for work and am waiting for either the Cyber truck or Silverado. Right now, it's leaning towards Silverado!
Why not lightning or R1T? Or maybe even the 1500 REV...

The Silverado looks pretty darn nice; production delayed?

Why not lightning or R1T? Or maybe even the 1500 REV...
R1T doesn't have a full size bed, plus it's kind of ugly. F150 didn't have a pass through.

R1T doesn't have a full size bed, plus it's kind of ugly. F150 didn't have a pass through.
I think you might be shocked by this, but the cybertruck doesnt have a passthrough based on the factory sightings. By passthrough, you mean something like the chevy Avalanche's midgate, right? The cybertruck removed this.

I think you might be shocked by this, but the cybertruck doesnt have a passthrough based on the factory sightings. By passthrough, you mean something like the chevy Avalanche's midgate, right? The cybertruck removed this.
Yup I know, but the "vault" with potentially higher clearance might make up for it. I wish there was more info..

Yup I know, but the "vault" with potentially higher clearance might make up for it. I wish there was more info..
I wonder how literally no owner has got an indication on the price, yet the vehicles have to be delivered. I expect the price to be revealed at the event? Do they just not pay for it and get it for free or something? Or maybe they just get a sack of 100k and give the amount of money that was annnounced..

… are you still thinking about ordering?
Day 1 reserve?
The list is still almost 2 million reservations although I think half will drop off …. Production it will keep busy next 3-4 years

Back