Motor Trends Gets to Look into Lucid's Crystal Ball

David Flynt, in charge of user experience at Lucid, says he wants the company’s new software to “enable experiences, not dictate what they are.”

That will be achieved through a high level of personalization, so that a customer can choose what and where they want to see things on-screen. Additionally, the Gravity will enhance its drivers’ vision through the available augmented reality head-up display. Lucid wants its software to build an emotional connection to the vehicle.

🤤

Another article on Lucid came up today, this one from "Autoweek". It continues to amaze me just how much inaccurate crap is put out about Lucid.

Here is a passage from the "Autoweek" article, which demonstrates either that basic arithmetic is beyond their grasp, that they have no editorial oversight (or even basic proofreading), or that they're outright willing to lie to make a point:

"In the first quarter of this year, it [Lucid] lists 1748 cars produced and 1967 delivered globally. Deliveries were up nearly 40% year over year, the carmaker says, and up more than 13% quarter over quarter. The competition is doing better, at least Tesla is. In that same first quarter of 2024, Tesla sold 168,500 vehicles, and 6000 of those were the Lucid Air’s main competitor, the Model S. That's ten times more Models S than Lucids Air."

Uh, exactly how is 6000 Model S's sold ten times more than 1967 Lucid Airs?

The article goes on to give the Q1 delivery numbers for . . .

Mercedes EQE Sedan - 1023
Mercedes EQS Sedan - 817
Audi e-Tron GT - 776
Porsche Taycan - 1247

Assuming those numbers are correct, "Autoweek" opines that the competition is "not doing much better". No, in point of fact, they're not doing better at all.

Last edited:
To be based on a new EV platform in development, Jenkins said that the company’s midsize program will produce “at least three distinctly different vehicles.” Conceptual clay models for two of those were present in the design studio, both clearly smaller than the Gravity but also clearly different from each other. One appears to take a crossover format similar to what Lucid has produced before, while the other will be new territory for the automaker—a tight-fitting cover shrouded the body, but couldn’t hide rugged all-terrain tires beneath.

However Lucid’s midsize vehicles shape up, the company aims to reveal them in late 2026 with a mid- to high-$40,000 starting price. It wants to court new customers to the brand, less the older folks and families who might have the means to acquire an Air or Gravity, and more the younger, outdoorsy urban professional demographic ready to get their first luxury vehicle.

Sounds like they might try to beat Rivian at their own game! I'm excited to have lots of great options.

The current EV environment is so much more exciting because of Lucid and Rivian rather than Tesla/BMW/Benz.

Another article on Lucid came up today, this one from "Autoweek". It continues to amaze me just how much inaccurate crap is put out about Lucid.

Here is a passage from the "Autoweek" article, which demonstrates either that basic arithmetic is beyond their grasp, that they have no editorial oversight (or even basic proofreading), or that they're outright willing to lie to make a point:

"In the first quarter of this year, it [Lucid] lists 1748 cars produced and 1967 delivered globally. Deliveries were up nearly 40% year over year, the carmaker says, and up more than 13% quarter over quarter. The competition is doing better, at least Tesla is. In that same first quarter of 2024, Tesla sold 168,500 vehicles, and 6000 of those were the Lucid Air’s main competitor, the Model S. That's ten times more Models S than Lucids Air."

Uh, exactly how is 6000 Model S's sold ten times more than 1967 Lucid Airs?

The article goes on to give the Q1 delivery numbers for . . .

Mercedes EQE Sedan - 1023
Mercedes EQS Sedan - 817
Audi e-Tron GT - 776
Porsche Taycan - 1247

Assuming those numbers are correct, "Autoweek" opines that the competition is "not doing much better". No, in point of fact, they're not doing better at all.
They might mean that the 168,500 vehicles Tesla sold is 10x more than 1748 cars produced by Lucid, but even that is 100x, so they're just plain bad at math.

They might mean that the 168,500 vehicles Tesla sold is 10x more than 1748 cars produced by Lucid, but even that is 100x, so they're just plain bad at math.

But they were very specific that it was the Model S sales they were comparing to Lucid sales.

So many journalist wannabes have fallen into the trap of buying into Tesla hype of its awesome dominance that they don't even pay attention to actual facts and details when they gush about Tesla.

Look, a real key fob!

Attachments

• 2025-lucid-gravity-suv-reveal-33.jpg
    2025-lucid-gravity-suv-reveal-33.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 106
"However Lucid’s midsize vehicles shape up, the company aims to reveal them in late 2026 with a mid- to high-$40,000 starting price"

Ouch.... that means probably a 2027 or 2028 release at the earliest.

To be based on a new EV platform in development, Jenkins said that the company’s midsize program will produce “at least three distinctly different vehicles.” Conceptual clay models for two of those were present in the design studio, both clearly smaller than the Gravity but also clearly different from each other. One appears to take a crossover format similar to what Lucid has produced before, while the other will be new territory for the automaker—a tight-fitting cover shrouded the body, but couldn’t hide rugged all-terrain tires beneath.
YESSS! Only the start of Lucid taking over the world of luxury cars... although I hope they unveil a midsize sedan. He did say there was THREE distinct models... I think they will target Rivian, with the R2 being the midsize SUV and the "R2X" (if that was a thing) being the off-roader. Or could that be a completely different model from the midsize SUV, making it a R3X competitor? The sedan would be a Highland competitor.
in late 2026
Perfect timing for me... I'll be 17 with a license by then. (please lucid, don't give air/gravity owners early access... jk but hurry up with the deliveries)
mid- to high-$40,000 starting price.
Oh, thats a buzzkill. :( I was hoping for high 30s-low 40s. If there was any motivation for me to work harder, this is it! I love this article, it's almost similar to the SavageGeese video and the Top Gear article in terms of the insight we get into the company.

But they were very specific that it was the Model S sales they were comparing to Lucid sales.

So many journalist wannabes have fallen into the trap of buying into Tesla hype of its awesome dominance that they don't even pay attention to actual facts and details when they gush about Tesla.
You're right, my read wasn't careful enough. Is this the 'new math' I've heard so much about? :p

@hmp10 thoughts? I SERIOUSLY hope that upper lighting is able to be independently turned off.

I sorta freaked when I first saw that picture for the same reason. However, someone on the forum (can't remember who) had reliable information that it would be adjustable, although I don't remember whether independently so.

No thanks, it looks bigger & heavier. Unlike many here, I just love how the fob just disappears in your pocket…virtually weightless.

I, too, like the current fob for the same reason. However, at least the Gravity fob doesn't seem to be too overboard. And maybe we won't have to remember how many taps and holds on which part of the uniformly-black surface to execute a command. I mean, for size and weight, have you seen the Rivian fob? It could be a defense weapon in a carjacking.

Screenshot 2024-04-18 at 9.31.57 AM.png

I, too, like the current fob for the same reason. However, at least the Gravity fob doesn't seem to be too overboard. And maybe we won't have to remember how many taps and holds on which part of the uniformly-black surface to execute a command. I mean, for size and weight, have you seen the Rivian fob? It could be a defense weapon in a carjacking.

View attachment 19997
Our EV9 key is annoyingly big, as it takes up your entire hand. I have to hold it like a bomb detonator (and that issue is exemplified by the fact that the lock button sits right at your thumb. I must admit it's cool "detonating the bomb" while locking the car, makes me feel like I'm in mission impossible)!
1713447907181.png

I would much prefer the Air's fob, and being used to trackpads, I would also prefer one button as they currently have. I also don't like the new key fob.. those chrome buttons are already smudged up and look like painted plastic. It kind of reminds me of the Ford key fob, to be honest!

Back