Gravity Spec coming Oct 3 ?

Whole lotta white going on in that picture. But kind of unfortunate they parked a white minivan next to them. Although I don't really think the Gravity looks like a minivan in the flesh, this photo does invite the comparison and highlight some of the similarities, such as the hood/windshield sweep.

Whole lotta white going on in that picture. But kind of unfortunate they parked a white minivan next to them. Although I don't really think the Gravity looks like a minivan in the flesh, this photo does invite the comparison and highlight some of the similarities, such as the hood/windshield sweep.
I was not going to say that but it does invite the comparison.

I think it's the extended roof line at the rear that contributes to the minivan impression. Most suvs seem to have a shorter roof line and sloped rear hatch.

To me, the Gravity is more like the Toyota Grand Highlander. Just 3" shorter, .4" wider, and 7" lower. Wheelbase 3" longer. Three inches shorter, but three inches longer in wheelbase!

I think it's the extended roof line at the rear that contributes to the minivan impression.

I noticed that, too, and that's part of what's so unfortunate about this photo. Having seen the Gravity three times in the flesh, one of the most notable visual cues is how that roofline appears to slope downward. Not only does it actually slope downward, the treatment of the D-pillar and the adept tiering of the chrome and the glass on the cantrail add to the effect. It almost gives off a fastback vibe and makes the Gravity look more bullet train than minivan.

There was a time that such a photo would pass unseen and unnoticed by most potential buyers. But in the internet age, I suspect this photo will soon be making the rounds on social media and inviting a piling on by the "wow-that's-just-an-overpriced-minivan" crowd.

I noticed that, too, and that's part of what's so unfortunate about this photo. Having seen the Gravity three times in the flesh, one of the most notable visual cues is how that roofline appears to slope downward. Not only does it actually slope downward, the treatment of the D-pillar and the adept tiering of the chrome and the glass on the cantrail add to the effect. It almost gives off a fastback vibe and makes the Gravity look more bullet train than minivan.

Yep, it does slope downward. Perhaps the juxtiposition of the Gravity to the minivan will show that difference.
Total agreement on the bullet train look. I think either Derek Jenkins or Peter made that same observation in a video.

There was a time that such a photo would pass unseen and unnoticed by most potential buyers. But in the internet age, I suspect this photo will soon be making the rounds on social media and inviting a piling on by the "wow-that's-just-an-overpriced-minivan" crowd.
Once Gravity is out on the roads, the public will see the difference.
When the Escalade, Tahoe, Denali, and Suburban drivers see the Gravity in person, they'll be stopping owners in parking lots. :)
That Escalade epitomizes the term "land yacht".

Also, the Odyssey and Sienna minivan drivers will like the shorter length and height along with the same or greater interior space and consider.

If you're on Reddit, checkout the r/Gravity sub.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20241004-165604.webp
    Screenshot_20241004-165604.webp
    190.9 KB · Views: 36
I think either Derek Jenkins or Peter made that same observation in a video.

It was Jenkins, about a week after our first visit to a Design Studio to see the Lunar Titanium show car that was making the rounds. I almost laughed when I heard Jenkins say that the design was inspired by airplanes and bullet trains, because the first thing I said to my partner as we entered the showroom was, "wow, it looks like a bullet train."

It is an incredibly sleek design for a vehicle that serves the passenger and cargo duties this one will. I challenge anyone to show me a minivan that can photograph this way:

IMG_1973.webp

IMG_1974.webp

I agree that in person it does NOT give off a minivan vibe. I too had that first initial minivan impression from original photos on the internet...but then I actually saw it in person. Here are some pics I took (because you can never have enough pics, right?). I do wonder if the crazy thick double laminated door glass is going to be what's used in the production version.

Attachments

• Gravity dash.webp
    Gravity dash.webp
    1.5 MB · Views: 16
  • Gravity side interior.webp
    Gravity side interior.webp
    1.7 MB · Views: 18
  • Gravity Front.webp
    Gravity Front.webp
    1.1 MB · Views: 18
  • Gravity Side.webp
    Gravity Side.webp
    1.4 MB · Views: 24
I do wonder if the crazy thick double laminated door glass is going to be what's used in the production version.

I suspect so, especially given that they are using frameless doors and the glass must be rigid enough to seal firmly against the weather strips for a tight fit. Also, Lucid must know that some percentage of users will inevitably close the doors by grabbing the edge of the glass.

It's also probably acoustic glass, although none of the Lucid sales reps knew for sure. Most acoustic glass works by sandwiching materials that have different sound transmission characteristics.

I'm concerned the low front chin will be at risk off roads, in snow parks and other locations that are rough on sedans. Maybe the air suspension gets it out of harms way.

insignificant things like being able to open the doors anytime I want, cameras working, soft-close working, having all speakers work, etc. Small stuff.
I've never heard of any large or mid % of owners having these issues..

Open the doors? There's a mechanical override, so that point seems moot.

Never had ant speakers ever fail on me. Cameras have worked 95% of the time. When they don't, I do a software reboot. And in the last 6 months of software updates, I've never had to do a single soft reboot.

This is a really dumb and deceptive way to calculate cost per vehicle. We've been over this many times on the forum.

Capital intensive companies always spend a ton up front for R&D. You can't look at the cost of building a factory and put it into your math for each car. Lucid is doing a ton of internal development while Rivian is using a ton of off-the-shelf parts and outsourcing. Any comparisons using plain old dollar-for-dollar spent by the company overall is not really a good measure of anything.

I'd be more worried if Lucid and Rivian WEREN'T losing money on every car sold at this point. It would indicate they aren't investing enough in their future.
It's more than that, the dates don't even match up!! Those are super old stats anyways in those screenshots.

Back