mi/$ not that great in CA for EVs?

Using the 0.337 formula, wouldnt it mean a "gallon" of gas is 11.5 dollars? Then again, EVs are more efficient than gas cars... its still shocking how relatively high it is! (nj is 17.4)
Umm I don't know what that formula is but it doesn't seem right. I think people did the math up above, but i'll do it again for my own understanding.

For EV: At 3 miles/kw you can go 100 miles on 33KWh for $11 (using $0.34)
For ICE: At 33mpg, you can go 100 miles on 3 gallons for $12 (using $4/gallon)

So an EV getting 3 miles/KW and an ICE getting 33mpg are about equivalent in cost

I get a flat rate for anytime of the day from our electric company in Florida with tax at $0.16 per kw. With free EA for fast charging, I have never paid for DC charging and thus have never paid above my home rate. Cheaper than gas here in Florida.

Umm I don't know what that formula is but it doesn't seem right. I think people did the math up above, but i'll do it again for my own understanding.

For EV: At 3 miles/kw you can go 100 miles on 33KWh for $11 (using $0.34)
For ICE: At 33mpg, you can go 100 miles on 3 gallons for $12 (using $4/gallon)

So an EV getting 3 miles/KW and an ICE getting 33mpg are about equivalent in cost
Yes, I was talking about the energy units separately from efficiency/the car, as I noted above:
Then again, EVs are more efficient than gas cars...
Accounting for the fact that the EV's use that efficiency more efficiently than gas cars, they are still overall cheaper.

(the epa uses 33.7 kwh per gallon)

Yes, I was talking about the energy units separately from efficiency, as I noted above:
For some reason I don't like that eMPG is measured on energy units. I think it's confusing for consumers. But I can also understand a direct comparison to ICE MPG is dependent on gas prices and always changing

I get a flat rate for anytime of the day from our electric company in Florida with tax at $0.16 per kw. With free EA for fast charging, I have never paid for DC charging and thus have never paid above my home rate. Cheaper than gas here in Florida.
Many states have cheap electricity. I remember reading in some of the other EV forums in Alabama or Georgia they have $0.01 off peak LOL

The current off peak rate for EV TOU PG&E is $.26/Kwh. So also assuming your 3mi/kWh would be 49 miles per gallon equivalent at $4.25/gallon. I'm actually averaging 3.2 mi/kWh to that comes out to 52 mpg equivalent. Also, I don't think we are seeing $4.25/gallon in this area for premium gas which would be necessary in an ICE car equivalent in performance/comfort to the Lucid. And then you add in the cost of maintenance for an ICE car vs EV.
Also, compare Lucid mpg and price with equivalent gasoline hybrid cars like Lexus LS500H, Mercedes S 580 E, BMW 7 series hybrid 27mpg. $4.25 per gal 27 miles. Also consider the super quiet ride which adds to Luxury. Particularly EVs shine in local driving due to regen.
Finally, my opinion is that the motors last much longer and in 10 years, the EV battery prices could fall. The mother boards could be upgraded as the prices of electronics fall as we used to do for desktop PCs. Once the battery is replaced and the motherboard is replaced (including the data connection), the EV will be better than new and gasoline cars are pretty much done once the engine is bad.

Once the battery is replaced and the motherboard is replaced (including the data connection), the EV will be better than new and gasoline cars are pretty much done once the engine is bad.
I mean people do engine replacements all the time. Wouldn't that be equivalent to replacing the battery? I don't even think the cost would be very different.

Also, compare Lucid mpg and price with equivalent gasoline hybrid cars like Lexus LS500H, Mercedes S 580 E, BMW 7 series hybrid 27mpg. $4.25 per gal 27 miles. Also consider the super quiet ride which adds to Luxury. Particularly EVs shine in local driving due to regen.
Finally, my opinion is that the motors last much longer and in 10 years, the EV battery prices could fall. The mother boards could be upgraded as the prices of electronics fall as we used to do for desktop PCs. Once the battery is replaced and the motherboard is replaced (including the data connection), the EV will be better than new and gasoline cars are pretty much done once the engine is bad.
By that logic though, couldnt you just swap the engine?

Also, the S580e has around 50 mpge and even on the gas engine alone gets 36 mpg:

I mean people do engine replacements all the time. Wouldn't that be equivalent to replacing the battery? I don't even think the cost would be very different.
Oftentimes the cost of engine and transmission replacement with a new one is not worth it. That has been my experience in 40years of owning gasoline cars for 14 years at a time and selling them.

Oftentimes the cost of engine and transmission replacement with a new one is not worth it. That has been my experience in 40years of owning gasoline cars for 14 years at a time and selling them.
depends on the value of the car after 15-20 years right, and you're right, i think in many cases cars are worth less than the replacement engine. But look at the Lucids, they have already depreciated 50% in <2 years, just see what happens in 10 years, i bet buying a new car will still be cheaper than replacing the batteries

A new battery will be more expensive than a new engine 10/10 times, unless you bought a Bugatti Chiron or something.

@Rogue would know as I think he lives in Alabama!
Negative on those numbers. I forget the exact number, but it is a little over 9¢ where I am at. Off peak with an electric car incentive is a 10% discount. Not worth the headache.

Negative on those numbers. I forget the exact number, but it is a little over 9¢ where I am at. Off peak with an electric car incentive is a 10% discount. Not worth the headache.
Georgia Power's Plug-In EV Rates Make Saving Money Easier! - Electric Vehicle Charging from EnviroSpark (envirosparkenergy.com)

It's Georgia...they call it Super Off-Peak...so jealous!! But i'm sure if they sold as many EVs as CA those rates would rocket up in a hurry lol

This plan offers 3 rates: $0.01 per kWh for super off-peak charging (11 p.m. to 7 a.m.), $0.07 per kWh for off-peak charging (From June to September, this period is from 7 a.m. to 2 p.m. and 7 p.m. to 11 p.m. during weekdays, and 7 a.m. to 11 p.m. during weekends.

Georgia Power's Plug-In EV Rates Make Saving Money Easier! - Electric Vehicle Charging from EnviroSpark (envirosparkenergy.com)

It's Georgia...they call it Super Off-Peak...so jealous!! But i'm sure if they sold as many EVs as CA those rates would rocket up in a hurry lol

This plan offers 3 rates: $0.01 per kWh for super off-peak charging (11 p.m. to 7 a.m.), $0.07 per kWh for off-peak charging (From June to September, this period is from 7 a.m. to 2 p.m. and 7 p.m. to 11 p.m. during weekdays, and 7 a.m. to 11 p.m. during weekends.
Could you imagine the headache of having to try and remember those times, schedule the car to charge, and make sure the car is plugged in? Not worth it. Electricity is hardly more expensive in Augusta, GA where my parents live.

Of course, the shutting down of nuclear power plants in GA and other places has been raising electricity prices.

Could you imagine the headache of having to try and remember those times, schedule the car to charge, and make sure the car is plugged in? Not worth it. Electricity is hardly more expensive in Augusta, GA where my parents live.

Of course, the shutting down of nuclear power plants in GA and other places has been raising electricity prices.
Unfortunately in CA we have the same headache and hours based pricing and yet it starts at $0.34 and goes up to $0.53 😭

Could you imagine the headache of having to try and remember those times, schedule the car to charge, and make sure the car is plugged in?...
Some home charging stations do this automatically (e.g. Chargepoint Home Flex). You just tell it which electricity provider and rate plan you use.

Some home charging stations do this automatically (e.g. Chargepoint Home Flex). You just tell it which electricity provider and rate plan you use.
Not to be argumentative, but I would maintain my position for the ROI. A 240V industrial wall plug charges the car almost completely overnight for a few hundred bucks. The bougie wall charger will run you several grand.

I think the above applies when you are trying to determine the charging cost of your EV. Lifetime of the charger plus realistic timeframe use to portion out the "rate increase" from installation.

At least in Huntsville, AL, we achieve price parity without an EA membership at $3.50 a gallon for our Hyundai Ioniq Hybrid at 55 mpg for the ~9¢ kWh rate. Factor in the $500 job ($250 for us, split with landlord) for the 240V over 2 years (before we move to a new place) makes the comparison a lot worse for wear. We charged maybe 3k miles for ~$70 over 2 years Really the "cost" of electricity effectively is ~5x: $35 + $125 at a yearly cost. Either we would need teen range mpg vehicle (fair comparison for the Lucid's performance) or $20+ per gallon.

Not to be argumentative, but I would maintain my position for the ROI. A 240V industrial wall plug charges the car almost completely overnight for a few hundred bucks. The bougie wall charger will run you several grand.

I think the above applies when you are trying to determine the charging cost of your EV. Lifetime of the charger plus realistic timeframe use to portion out the "rate increase" from installation.

At least in Huntsville, AL, we achieve price parity without an EA membership at $3.50 a gallon for our Hyundai Ioniq Hybrid at 55 mpg for the ~9¢ kWh rate. Factor in the $500 job ($250 for us, split with landlord) for the 240V over 2 years (before we move to a new place) makes the comparison a lot worse for wear. We charged maybe 3k miles for ~$70 over 2 years Really the "cost" of electricity effectively is ~5x: $35 + $125 at a yearly cost. Either we would need teen range mpg vehicle (fair comparison for the Lucid's performance) or $20+ per gallon.
Good points. My electricity rates are several times higher than yours, and I've been driving EVs from my garage for 13 years and plan to continue to do so for another 20, about 33 years lifetime for the expensive part of the installation. So the results of my math will be different. Honestly though I just hardwired our two home chargers for long-term convenience and peace of mind.

Back