Mercedes EQS SUV

My wife received her BMW i4M50 several days ago. Aside from the snout(which surprisingly I am now getting used too), the car is an absolute bargain for the price.

It is quiet, fast(536 Hp, 586 torque 0-60 in 3.3 sec), corners extremely well .97g(it actually felt more agile blasting around corners than my Lucid, though I imagine the smaller size may be one factor that has something to do with that), and has a hatchback design for putting in multiple suitcases. Plus there was the option of ordering it with either summer or all season tires in both large and smaller wheel sizes. I opted for all season, so I can use my wife's car in the winter and not have to buy an extra set of tires for my 21 inch wheels.

At first I felt is was a little cramped, coming from the cavernous interior of the Lucid as well as my wife's previous Audi S4 which also felt roomier inside the cabin. But after a few days, it felt fine. Since my wife and myself are not big people we adapted fine, but those of wider girth may find it too snug.

The HUD is a nice feature and the intermittent rain sensor wiper speeds are easier to adjust than my Lucid whose wipers are either too fast or too slow.

Of course the range(270miles) does not compare to my AGT, nor the more luxurious interior, but it is perfect for my wife who will be using it for mostly short distance errands. I did splurge for the blue stitching on the black leather to liven up the interior.

One thing I do like is that the door locks and unlocks automatically when you come or go away some 3 feet from the car. Eliminates a lot of the phantom drain that you get with the Lucid when coming within some 15 or so feet within range of the car while carrying the key.

As a second EV, so far it has surpassed my expectations. Of course the styling and interior is an individual choice, but it looks better in person than in pictures.(IMO).

Though the i4 is a good fit in our household and my wife so far is happy with it, the AGT is still my baby with its outsized power, luxury and comfort features(massage seats etc.)

I believe Lucken also has an i4 and has previously expressed that he is very happy with it as well.
I told you how good the i4 was, but I knew you’d have to find out for yourself. Dollar for dollar I don't think there’s a better EV on the road, and yes, I agree, it has exceeded my expectations too. I too think it’s a really nice looking car, though not eye-catching like the Lucid. I like its looks better than Steve’s GV60, but that’s entirely subjective.

I‘m interested in your ongoing thoughts as to how the i4 compares to your Lucid. I suspect it might actually be quieter than the Lucid. On good roads, at 75, it is dead quiet. Not even a hint of wind noise that I’ve seen some Lucid owners report. I agree the HUD is a nice feature that I’ll miss on the Lucid.

Remember I’ve got the RWD variant on 19” wheels, which I wanted for the added range. 320 miles in nice weather is easily achievable for me.

The seats are extremely comfortable on long rides, but the back is definitely a bit cramped for anyone over 5’10”.

I told you how good the i4 was, but I knew you’d have to find out for yourself. Dollar for dollar I don't think there’s a better EV on the road, and yes, I agree, it has exceeded my expectations too. I too think it’s a really nice looking car, though not eye-catching like the Lucid. I like its looks better than Steve’s GV60, but that’s entirely subjective.

I‘m interested in your ongoing thoughts as to how the i4 compares to your Lucid. I suspect it might actually be quieter than the Lucid. On good roads, at 75, it is dead quiet. Not even a hint of wind noise that I’ve seen some Lucid owners report. I agree the HUD is a nice feature that I’ll miss on the Lucid.

Remember I’ve got the RWD variant on 19” wheels, which I wanted for the added range. 320 miles in nice weather is easily achievable for me.

The seats are extremely comfortable on long rides, but the back is definitely a bit cramped for anyone over 5’10”.
The kidney style front grille doesn't bother you? Me say notin, but...it would be a deal breaker for me.
Also, I have to admit, BMW never (except BMW M1) tickled my fancy.
Regardless, enjoy your i4.

The kidney style front grille doesn't bother you? Me say notin, but...it would be a deal breaker for me.
Regardless, enjoy your i4.
Thanks.

It really does grow on you (my wife loves it) and you’d be shocked at how many people have specifically pointed to the grill and said they loved it.

Thanks.

It really does grow on you (my wife loves it) and you’d be shocked at how many people have specifically pointed to the grill and said they loved it.
It absolutely has not grown on me. I actually discarded the car as an option the instant I saw it, and then re-discarded it when I saw it in person. There are many more reasons I personally don't even have the car in my consideration list anymore, but that grill is a large factor.

The front end of 98% of cars currently on the market are instant rejects for me. This entire trend of "testosterone heavy" front-end design is going to age very poorly, methinks.

It absolutely has not grown on me. I actually discarded the car as an option the instant I saw it, and then re-discarded it when I saw it in person. There are many more reasons I personally don't even have the car in my consideration list anymore, but that grill is a large factor.
Each to his own my friend, each to his own. I find the Mercedes EVs ugly, others do not.

"testosterone heavy" ?
Actually, i never thought comparing kidney shaped front grille to a .... testicles.
I think you nailed it 😂

Each to his own my friend, each to his own. I find the Mercedes EVs ugly, others do not.
I find the Lexus front grill to be horrendous and the Mercedes EV shape awful.

As I said, the BMW is not too bad after living with it the last few days.

The cars's other positive attributes make it outstanding for the price.

Yes, I find it quieter than my AGT and it easily out handles my Lucid blasting thorough sharp curvy roads

One nice feature that I accidentally discovered today is that as I was driving I got a message on the front panel that stated "a red light traffic camera was 1000 feet away". Then "800 feet away" as I got closer etc etc.. Not sure how BMW did that, but a pleasant surprise as I know that red light camera is also a speed trap camera as well.

I have not driven it that much, as my wife takes her car out to do the errands, but will give more feedback later.

Again, before others eliminate the car from consideration, I would advise them to test drive the car first.

Yes, I find it quieter than my AGT and it easily out handles my Lucid blasting thorough sharp curvy roads

One nice feature that I accidentally discovered today is that as I was driving I got a message on the front panel that stated "a red light traffic camera was 1000 feet away". Then "800 feet away" as I got closer etc etc.. Not sure how BMW did that, but a pleasant surprise as I know that red light camera is also a speed trap camera as well.

I have not driven it that much, as my wife takes her car out to do the errands, but will give more feedback later.

Again, before others eliminate the car from consideration, I would advise them to test drive the car first.
My GV60 surprised me with a similar warning. it seems to work for fixed radar locations but not the mobile ones. It even shows up on my HUD. But because it only covers fixed locations, one has to be careful not to get careless thinking the car will save you.

My GV60 surprised me with a similar warning. it seems to work for fixed radar locations but not the mobile ones. It even shows up on my HUD. But because it only covers fixed locations, one has to be careful not to get careless thinking the car will save you.
It's a nice feature to have. I'll have to check next time whether it also showed up on my HUD as well as my front panel.

I think you’ll be finding more of these surprises and features as you continue to spend more time with the car. The car even warns me of speed bumps & railroad tracks from about 1,000 feet away. Since some of these things don’t exist on the Lucid, it’s something that I’m always wrestling with.

I couldn’t agree with you more when you advise people to not dismiss the car before driving it. Things like the grill are trivial relative to what this car offers. I suspect you might also have less of the little niggles with the car than the Lucid. I’ve had zero issues.

I know some might have thought I was embellishing when offering my thoughts on the car, but I was really trying to be objective and honest.

I think you’ll be finding more of these surprises and features as you continue to spend more time with the car. The car even warns me of speed bumps & railroad tracks from about 1,000 feet away. Since some of these things don’t exist on the Lucid, it’s something that I’m always wrestling with.

I couldn’t agree with you more when you advise people to not dismiss the car before driving it. Things like the grill are trivial relative to what this car offers. I suspect you might also have less of the little niggles with the car than the Lucid. I’ve had zero issues.

I know some might have thought I was embellishing when offering my thoughts on the car, but I was really trying to be objective and honest.
The I4 is a great car if the polarizing design doesn't turn you off. My only nibbles, aside from the design, is that is a conversion of a four series grand coupe rather than a BEV designed from the floor up (but ultimately that doesn't matter) and the BMW system that limits the quality (read luxury) features available on it (to get more BMW forces you to go up in size and I don't want to go up in size). I previously replaced a 3 series with a 5 series primarily so I could get the luxury features I wanted (such as Nappa instead of Dakota/Vernasca), etc. For that reason I was holding out for the Lucid Air Pure or the I5 but when I found the GV60 Performance with only 77 inches in length with the luxury (nappa upholstery; Ultrasuede headliner; 1400 watt 17 speaker B&O music system; etc.) and performance (483 HP with 4 second 0-60 time; 18 minute fast charging to from 10-80% of charge; 3 years of EA free charging; HUD and full ADAS (five different blind spot warnings; (1) traditional red triangle in side view mirror); (2) Driver display and HUD show red coloring by lane markings if a vehicle moves into the blind spot' (3) turn on your blinker and a window opens up on the driver display showing a camera view of that side of the car rear; (4) If nonetheless one is moving toward a vehicle, the car will attempt to steer you away from the danger; and (5) if you are still ignoring it, a loud warning sounds comes on. It is a bit of overkill but I find the HUD color lighting by the lane marking the best feature.

But the one feature that can't compare is the handling. an SUV, even a small and relatively low one, can't compare on handling to a BMW sedan. But there are some compensations. For example, getting in and out of the GV60 is easy compared to a performance sedan.

Enjoy your I4.

Back