Mercedes EQS SUV

Does anyone know if MB EQS SUV already delivered in US?

Can you clarify?
Absolutetly. As a pre-disclaimer, I was previously an owner of the 580 EQS and typically sing praise for the vehicle. My main distaste for it comes from the outer appearance and that it doesn't drive like a sports vehicle.. at all.

EQB Impressions

Within the past few weeks, I watch Doug D's video on his initial impressions of the EQB, and I believe he described it as underwhelming. I wasn't quite sure what that meant until I got into the EQB.

On the outside, the appearance is not that bad minus 2 items. The door handles and the wheels. The wheels are thick, full, and not very stylized for a Mercedes and the blue streaks are nothing but a far cry of cheap and tacky showing that Mercedes still doesn't 100% understand how to present/style EVs. The door handles are classic ICE like protruding door handles. This may not be a problem for some, but on a car running for $58k having handles look like they were ripped straight from a Honda CRV doesn't quite do justice for the brand (especially when almost every other competitor has something more stylized and thought out). It's basically the first thing you interact with when getting in, and it felt like getting into a non-luxury car. The grill was far nicer than the other EQ series, and there was an appeal to the body shape.

On the inside, the rear seats suffered most. The seats and floor are high up, very high up. My knees (I'm 5' 10") were easily hitting the upper area of the seats (front passenger shoulder areas). Almost no headroom at all. You could tell the back seat was made with extra space provided by being an EV, but almost all of that space was sacrificed due to poor battery placement and the seating arrangement. It was disappointing. If that wasn't enough, the seats themselves had odd upholstery in the back raising you further when sitting. The quality around also felt "empty" or "fake". I'm not entirely sure how to describe it, as the appearance was your typically leather looking/bright colored seating with some nice designs. But when interacting with almost everything and anything, it feels off and most of the materials feel hallow. This was unlike the EQS and a stark night and day situation with any luxury car I've been in. "Fake" is the best way I can describe it. It was as if they color coated and skinned a $30k car and called it a day.

For the front seats, the steering wheel is still "much". Thick and feels complicated. Not the worst thing in the world. The stalks are very cheap as well. Straight out of a < $30k car. They lock in place, click, etc. Absolutely do not feel premium, but again may depend on taste. The center console makes 0 sense. It follows older trends that do not exist in the current EQ line up such as having a dedicated touch pad, a ton of wasted center console space that could have been used for storage and isn't. There are physical buttons under the "small" center screen (which was clearly sacrificed for cost reduction), each makes an extremely loud click sound when interacting with them as feedback to ensure you're aware they were pressed.

MBUX... so I've praised this system a lot in the past and believe it's extremely well made and scaled. I'd argue the best scalable car HMI out there. With that being said, it falls flat on small screens experience wise. It works, it works well. But the UX sucks on a small screen and menus are buried everywhere. I felt that this takes away from the EQ experience drastically.

The drive... was underwhelming. For the price point, it was sheer disappointment. The car was floaty, but not floaty enough to be luxury. The car remains to be slow. There is no real "oomph" behind it at all. That could be desirable, but definitely isn't competitive for a 50-60k vehicle. Handling was "meh" and viewing battery information was an overwhelming pain because of the way MBUX handles the smaller screens and adapts to the setup.

This all being said, we went back to back between the EQB and Mach-E, my wife immediately preferred the Mach-E. There's more style on the outside of the Mach-E, has a frunk, back seats are less.. but more.. space wise because of the arrangements, materials felt nicer, more "oomph", better drive, easier to interact with the HMI, etc etc. The Mach-E ranges in price but is generally a cheaper and sportier vehicle.

Conclusion

Overall, we concluded the EQB was an overpriced vehicle where you end up just paying a premium for the Mercedes branding. It's not generally competitive price point wise or even "worth it".

As for the EQE, it honestly just felt like a smaller EQS with sacrifices on space. The grill was nicer in black without the decals (IMO), but overall there's not much to say beyond sacrificing space for pricing. I didn't actually drive this one, so I can't comment on how that compares (my wife did).

Last edited:
Absolutetly. As a pre-disclaimer, I was previously an owner of the 580 EQS and typically sing praise for the vehicle. My main distaste for it comes from the outer appearance and that it doesn't drive like a sports vehicle.. at all.

EQB Impressions

Within the past few weeks, I watch Doug D's video on his initial impressions of the EQB, and I believe he described it as underwhelming. I wasn't quite sure what that meant until I got into the EQB.

On the outside, the appearance is not that bad minus 2 items. The door handles and the wheels. The wheels are thick, full, and not very stylized for a Mercedes and the blue streaks are nothing but a far cry of cheap and tacky showing that Mercedes still doesn't 100% understand how to present/style EVs. The door handles are classic ICE like protruding door handles. This may not be a problem for some, but on a car running for $58k having handles look like they were ripped straight from a Honda CRV doesn't quite do justice for the brand (especially when almost every other competitor has something more stylized and thought out). It's basically the first thing you interact with when getting in, and it felt like getting into a non-luxury car. The grill was far nicer than the other EQ series, and there was an appeal to the body shape.

On the inside, the rear seats suffered most. The seats and floor are high up, very high up. My knees (I'm 5' 10") were easily hitting the upper area of the seats (front passenger shoulder areas). Almost no headroom at all. You could tell the back seat was made with extra space provided by being an EV, but almost all of that space was sacrificed due to poor battery placement and the seating arrangement. It was disappointing. If that wasn't enough, the seats themselves had odd upholstery in the back raising you further when sitting. The quality around also felt "empty" or "fake". I'm not entirely sure how to describe it, as the appearance was your typically leather looking/bright colored seating with some nice designs. But when interacting with almost everything and anything, it feels off and most of the materials feel hallow. This was unlike the EQS and a stark night and day situation with any luxury car I've been in. "Fake" is the best way I can describe it. It was as if they color coated and skinned a $30k car and called it a day.

For the front seats, the steering wheel is still "much". Thick and feels complicated. Not the worst thing in the world. The stalks are very cheap as well. Straight out of a < $30k car. They lock in place, click, etc. Absolutely do not feel premium, but again may depend on taste. The center console makes 0 sense. It follows older trends that do not exist in the current EQ line up such as having a dedicated touch pad, a ton of wasted center console space that could have been used for storage and isn't. There are physical buttons under the "small" center screen (which was clearly sacrificed for cost reduction), each makes an extremely loud click sound when interacting with them as feedback to ensure you're aware they were pressed.

MBUX... so I've praised this system a lot in the past and believe it's extremely well made and scaled. I'd argue the best scalable car HMI out there. With that being said, it falls flat on small screens experience wise. It works, it works well. But the UX sucks on a small screen and menus are buried everywhere. I felt that this takes away from the EQ experience drastically.

The drive... was underwhelming. For the price point, it was sheer disappointment. The car was floaty, but not floaty enough to be luxury. The car remains to be slow. There is no real "oomph" behind it at all. That could be desirable, but definitely isn't competitive for a 50-60k vehicle. Handling was "meh" and viewing battery information was an overwhelming pain because of the way MBUX handles the smaller screens and adapts to the setup.

This all being said, we went back to back between the EQB and Mach-E, my wife immediately preferred the Mach-E. There's more style on the outside of the Mach-E, has a frunk, back seats are less.. but more.. space wise because of the arrangements, materials felt nicer, more "oomph", better drive, easier to interact with the HMI, etc etc. The Mach-E ranges in price but is generally a cheaper and sportier vehicle.

Conclusion

Overall, we concluded the EQB was an overpriced vehicle where you end up just paying a premium for the Mercedes branding. It's not generally competitive price point wise or even "worth it".

As for the EQE, it honestly just felt like a smaller EQS with sacrifices on space. The grill was nicer in black without the decals (IMO), but overall there's not much to say beyond sacrificing space for pricing. I didn't actually drive this one, so I can't comment on how that compares (my wife did).
Also, when comparing these vehicles my wife had noted the BMW i4 was on a different level luxury wise. I generally am not crazy about BMWs, but had to strongly agree. I couldn’t believe the EQB and i4 even crossed over in the same price range. No, the i4 isn’t a cross over but the difference in luxury is stark.

EQB Impressions

Conclusion

Excellent and deep down review. Thank you!

"Fake" is the best way I can describe it. It was as if they color coated and skinned a $30k car and called it a day.
I've felt this way for a long time about MB's contemporary A-, B-, and C-class products, both sedan and SUV. Having driven them as dealership loaners, they just don't feel special, and for the same money you can get a car from a non-luxury brand that is considerably better in every way.

Also, when comparing these vehicles my wife had noted the BMW i4 was on a different level luxury wise. I generally am not crazy about BMWs, but had to strongly agree. I couldn’t believe the EQB and i4 even crossed over in the same price range. No, the i4 isn’t a cross over but the difference in luxury is stark.
Thank you for posting, my wife likes her GLE after we lost Odyssey for collision. We were going to check it again. You saved me a trip. I told her just be patient for R1S, deep down I really hope Gravity can be revealed soon, I don’t want to have buyer’s remorse if Gravity comes out after we get R1S.

Thank you for posting, my wife likes her GLE after we lost Odyssey for collision. We are going to check it again. You saved me a trip. I told her just be patient for R1S, deep down I really hope Gravity can be revealed soon, I don’t want to have buyer’s remorse if Gravity came out after we get R1S.
I desperately want to test drive an R1S in the Orlando area. You’re 100% making the right call.

I've felt this way for a long time about MB's contemporary A-, B-, and C-class products, both sedan and SUV. Having driven them as dealership loaners, they just don't feel special, and for the same money you can get a car from a non-luxury brand that is considerably better in every way.

Interesting. I don't consider the I4 a luxury car. You can't even get Nappa or Merino leather in it; just the crappy Vernasca (or Sensatec imitation leather which I would prefer to the Vernasca). I do have experience with BMW upholstery. I had a 330e with Dakota and so disliked it that I replaced it with a 530e with Nappa (which I did like).

I haven't driven the I4 (I did test drive the IX) but I suspect that it drives very well. BMWs almost always do. If BMW got its design act together, I would be driving a BMW now instead of the Genesis GV60 (which has its act together).

Interesting. I don't consider the I4 a luxury car. You can't even get Nappa or Merino leather in it; just the crappy Vernasca (or Sensatec imitation leather which I would prefer to the Vernasca). I do have experience with BMW upholstery. I had a 330e with Dakota and so disliked it that I replaced it with a 530e with Nappa (which I did like).

I haven't driven the I4 (I did test drive the IX) but I suspect that it drives very well. BMWs almost always do. If BMW got its design act together, I would be driving a BMW now instead of the Genesis GV60 (which has its act together).
My wife received her BMW i4M50 several days ago. Aside from the snout(which surprisingly I am now getting used too), the car is an absolute bargain for the price.

It is quiet, fast(536 Hp, 586 torque 0-60 in 3.3 sec), corners extremely well .97g(it actually felt more agile blasting around corners than my Lucid, though I imagine the smaller size may be one factor that has something to do with that), and has a hatchback design for putting in multiple suitcases. Plus there was the option of ordering it with either summer or all season tires in both large and smaller wheel sizes. I opted for all season, so I can use my wife's car in the winter and not have to buy an extra set of tires for my 21 inch wheels.

At first I felt is was a little cramped, coming from the cavernous interior of the Lucid as well as my wife's previous Audi S4 which also felt roomier inside the cabin. But after a few days, it felt fine. Since my wife and myself are not big people we adapted fine, but those of wider girth may find it too snug.

The HUD is a nice feature and the intermittent rain sensor wiper speeds are easier to adjust than my Lucid whose wipers are either too fast or too slow.

Of course the range(270miles) does not compare to my AGT, nor the more luxurious interior, but it is perfect for my wife who will be using it for mostly short distance errands. I did splurge for the blue stitching on the black leather to liven up the interior.

One thing I do like is that the door locks and unlocks automatically when you come or go away some 3 feet from the car. Eliminates a lot of the phantom drain that you get with the Lucid when coming within some 15 or so feet within range of the car while carrying the key.

As a second EV, so far it has surpassed my expectations. Of course the styling and interior is an individual choice, but it looks better in person than in pictures.(IMO).

Though the i4 is a good fit in our household and my wife so far is happy with it, the AGT is still my baby with its outsized power, luxury and comfort features(massage seats etc.)

I believe Lucken also has an i4 and has previously expressed that he is very happy with it as well.

Back