MB EQS SUV Review make you go mmm….

We cancelled our GT order back in April because we really wanted an SUV. We had an early Rivian R1S order and were planning on making that our primary vehicle instead of the Lucid. In August we were notified our R1S would be delayed again to 1st half of 2023, so I converted our order to the R1T (truck) and took delivery a few weeks later.

We still wanted a 3-row SUV so when the Mercedes dealership started taking orders for the EQS SUV we decided to place an order. We ended up taking deliver of our EQS 450 4-matic in October. So we have the Rivian R1T and the EQS SUV at the moment.

The Rivian is possibly my favorite vehicle we've ever owned. It is just a blast to drive and has so much functionality. It has some minor clunks and rattles that shouldn't be there on a brand new truck, but it so good at everything else that I'm willing to overlook some of the flaws for now. I honestly can't see replacing the Rivian with anything but another Rivian truck in the future. I'm not a truck person, but we do live in Colorado and spend a lot of time mountain biking, skiing, and camping. It is just perfect for our life style.

The EQS SUV has been really surprising. We previously had a Model X, and we viewed the EQS as the only 3-row EV option at the moment that wasn't a Tesla. I've never owned a Mercedes before, so I wasn't exactly sure what to expect. So far it has been very impressive and my wife has quickly fallen in love with it. The outside looks aren't stellar, but it so makes up for it with the interior and the overall ride and built quality. It is sooooo much nicer than any vehicle I've ever owned which include Model X, Volvo XC90, Audi Q7, Taycan, and Audi E-tron SUV. It feels so much more luxurious compared to the Model X (closest EV comparison at the moment) that it's almost a joke that the Model X is similar in price. The sound system, seats, lighting, ride quality, NVH, and touch screen are just stellar. Even the phone app is one of the best I've seen with some of the best built in route planning. Mercedes has really stepped up their game with their new EVs. The looks are polarizing, but anyone looking for some of the best tech and luxury will not be disappointed.

I plan on putting a deposit down on the Gravity when it's announced. I frequently miss that I didn't purchase the Lucid Air GT, but I think the Gravity will be more better for our needs. It will be hard to let go of the Mercedes at this point, but I'm willing to give Lucid a shot as I still love their design language, love their EV tech, and would prefer to buy from a US automaker (even thought the Mercedes was at least built in the US).

While the lack of third-row space makes the R1S a non-starter for us, I wouldn't argue that it should not be considered by other buyers for whom that is not a concern. I think Rivian has engineered a very clever and robust vehicle for some uses. While I really like "Throttle House" reviews, I take theirs as well as all other reviews with a grain of salt. What looms as a big issue for one reviewer is often not something that bothers me at all or, even if it does, is of less magnitude than the reviewer made it out to be.
I do enjoy watching reviews especially reviews of cars I already own. Get a kick out of items that are exaggerated and presented as "negatives", but most if not all items are of no consequence to an owner. Unfortunately people do have a tendency to listen to the "experts" and often walk away from, a long term, great car experience. We almost walked away from buying my wife's IX. We ended up buying the car. It is a great car. Friends that have borrowed or have driven the car seem to now agree that this is one of the best , if not the best EV they have driven. I wish I had written down their early "mirror mirror on the wall... " comments so I can read them back to them. I must admit, some were creative and funny.

We cancelled our GT order back in April because we really wanted an SUV. We had an early Rivian R1S order and were planning on making that our primary vehicle instead of the Lucid. In August we were notified our R1S would be delayed again to 1st half of 2023, so I converted our order to the R1T (truck) and took delivery a few weeks later.

We still wanted a 3-row SUV so when the Mercedes dealership started taking orders for the EQS SUV we decided to place an order. We ended up taking deliver of our EQS 450 4-matic in October. So we have the Rivian R1T and the EQS SUV at the moment.

The Rivian is possibly my favorite vehicle we've ever owned. It is just a blast to drive and has so much functionality. It has some minor clunks and rattles that shouldn't be there on a brand new truck, but it so good at everything else that I'm willing to overlook some of the flaws for now. I honestly can't see replacing the Rivian with anything but another Rivian truck in the future. I'm not a truck person, but we do live in Colorado and spend a lot of time mountain biking, skiing, and camping. It is just perfect for our life style.

The EQS SUV has been really surprising. We previously had a Model X, and we viewed the EQS as the only 3-row EV option at the moment that wasn't a Tesla. I've never owned a Mercedes before, so I wasn't exactly sure what to expect. So far it has been very impressive and my wife has quickly fallen in love with it. The outside looks aren't stellar, but it so makes up for it with the interior and the overall ride and built quality. It is sooooo much nicer than any vehicle I've ever owned which include Model X, Volvo XC90, Audi Q7, Taycan, and Audi E-tron SUV. It feels so much more luxurious compared to the Model X (closest EV comparison at the moment) that it's almost a joke that the Model X is similar in price. The sound system, seats, lighting, ride quality, NVH, and touch screen are just stellar. Even the phone app is one of the best I've seen with some of the best built in route planning. Mercedes has really stepped up their game with their new EVs. The looks are polarizing, but anyone looking for some of the best tech and luxury will not be disappointed.

I plan on putting a deposit down on the Gravity when it's announced. I frequently miss that I didn't purchase the Lucid Air GT, but I think the Gravity will be more better for our needs. It will be hard to let go of the Mercedes at this point, but I'm willing to give Lucid a shot as I still love their design language, love their EV tech, and would prefer to buy from a US automaker (even thought the Mercedes was at least built in the US).
Thank you. It is always best to read owner’s experience sharing than influencer just borrowing a car to review.

So my front runners now is
- R1S, EQS SUV, Gravity

Revised… (luxury SUV EV not a cross over)

Rivian R1S
MB EQS SUV
Lucid Gravity
Polestar 3
Volvo EX90
BMW iX

I think I pretty covered all? Did I miss anyone? I want 3rd row option like our Honda Odyssey for my wife and her side of family visiting.
Eletre?

Looks like Crossover? Not sure it is boxy SUV I’m looking for. It does have some exotic super car design though.

Looks like Crossover? Not sure it is boxy SUV I’m looking for. It does have some exotic super car design though.
If you're wanting 3 rows, your only options will be:
R1S
EQS
EX90
Gravity

From the Throttle House review, as others have said, the R1S 3rd row is for kids only. Not sure about the EQS. I'd imagine Gravity will have a large 3rd row, but who knows. If the EX90 is anything like our XC90, it'll be a good sized 3rd row.

While I really like "Throttle House" reviews, I take theirs as well as all other reviews with a grain of salt. What looms as a big issue for one reviewer is often not something that bothers me at all or, even if it does, is of less magnitude than the reviewer made it out to be.
I think these reviews are very helpful IF one ignores the conclusion and reads the review. As hmp10 said, what is important to you may not be to the reviewer and the reverse. But the detailed discussion will often let you draw your own conclusions.

I think these reviews are very helpful IF one ignores the conclusion and reads the review. As hmp10 said, what is important to you may not be to the reviewer and the reverse. But the detailed discussion will often let you draw your own conclusions.
Which is why we need a lot of reviews and manufacturers letting us to feel their cars and test drive. It’s really leap of faith buying online.

New windows will be released after midnight today and every 3 months afterwards. You didn't necessarily loose your window, they will recalculate the window based on the changes you made. It may push out or pull in or stay the same, who knows? I'm waiting to see if my Oct-Dec 23 window for my R1S changes as well.
Did you receive your updated window?

I was mistaken, changes needs to be made before the 15th, new windows will be provided by the end of January. The wait continues!
I noticed this yesterday on their website. Maybe they got too many calls from panicked people like me who made changes. Honestly, their communication is terrible but I’m hopeful that I didn’t mess up my order by changing the interior last week.
1673925538548.png

Back