Manufacturer Charging Rate Info

Coltonw011

Verified Owner
Cars
Lucid Air GT
Sitting here charging at a 350kW EA station and a man in an id.4 pulled up to charge. He tried to use the other charger on my station although it only works with one car. When I informed him that it only works with one car and that another station is open, he replied “yea but it’s only a 150kW.” When I told him that his car is listed at taking 125kW max, he told me I was wrong and he uses the 350kW all the time. I tried to tell him that the car will only accept what it can, doesn’t matter if it were a 350, 150 or anything in between. He became angry and told me I don’t know what I’m talking about. I left it alone after that, but man, I think dealers/manufacturers really need to inform their buyers so they have the necessary accurate info for them to charge. Just my little rant for the day.

It’s kinda sad that you knew more about his car than he did. But I imagine this will be an ongoing issue for quite some time.

People will just think “350 is faster than 150” and that’s as far as their brain will let them go.

Fortunately, unless you car is currently almost dead, you’ll charge up just as fast on the 150, anyway.

It’s kinda sad that you knew more about his car than he did. But I imagine this will be an ongoing issue for quite some time.

People will just think “350 is faster than 150” and that’s as far as their brain will let them go.

Fortunately, unless you car is currently almost dead, you’ll charge up just as fast on the 150, anyway.
That same pervasive attitude has been the same for gasoline in ICE cars forever. Some ignorant people think that premium gas will work better than regular gas for their car when it doesn't make a difference except for high performance, high compression engines that require premium gas. Oh well!

Also not a fan of how EA shows your time remaining and SoC on the charger. So many people came up and were checking how much time I had left..not a huge deal, just a slight annoyance

My understanding is that all these charger companies need to have some info about the car in order to communicate with it.

People clearly don’t know / want to listen so the charger companies should put an extra step in when plugging in. Read max cars output then check if slower chargers are available. If slower chargers are available tell the owner to move the car to a slower charger with a message like “your cars maximum charge rate is 120kw. Please move your car to a 150Kw”

Lucid could also put 1 or 2 350Kw chargers where their service centers / stores are also so owners don’t have to battle it out with people. I can see charger rage becoming a thing, lol!

One consolation with using 150kw with Lucid is that it's cooling system is built for 350kw of heat dissipation, so it can maintain a 150kw charging rate much longer than most EV's.

Pics courtesy of YouTube State of Charge.

You lose some charging speed up until 50%, where a 350kw vs 150kw charger makes no difference, and quick diminishing returns before then.

Overall, still sucks to use a 150kw when a moron thinks his VW needs 350kw.

Dont feel too bad!

charge1.png

charge2.png

One consolation with using 150kw with Lucid is that it's cooling system is built for 350kw of heat dissipation, so it can maintain a 150kw charging rate much longer than most EV's.

Pics courtesy of YouTube State of Charge.

You lose some charging speed up until 50%, where a 350kw vs 150kw charger makes no difference, and quick diminishing returns before then.

Overall, still sucks to use a 150kw when a moron thinks his VW needs 350kw.

Dont feel too bad!

View attachment 4557

View attachment 4558

I think Lucid has tweaked the curve a bit though with updates. Kyle Conner showed 328kw at 11% where when Tom did it he got just over 300. If Lucid can push higher speed for longer period then the 350’s are going to be definitely worth it.

If Lucid could sustain limits of 350 to 250 up till 40 or 50% it would be a very impressive feat.

Sitting here charging at a 350kW EA station and a man in an id.4 pulled up to charge. He tried to use the other charger on my station although it only works with one car. When I informed him that it only works with one car and that another station is open, he replied “yea but it’s only a 150kW.” When I told him that his car is listed at taking 125kW max, he told me I was wrong and he uses the 350kW all the time. I tried to tell him that the car will only accept what it can, doesn’t matter if it were a 350, 150 or anything in between. He became angry and told me I don’t know what I’m talking about. I left it alone after that, but man, I think dealers/manufacturers really need to inform their buyers so they have the necessary accurate info for them to charge. Just my little rant for the day.
If I was feeling really feisty, I would unplug and plug into a 150 and then show him how I pulling 175kw from a 150 and he is only getting 120 from a 350.

If I was feeling really feisty, I would unplug and plug into a 150 and then show him how I pulling 175kw from a 150 and he is only getting 120 from a 350.
Thats exactly where the convo was headed if I didn’t have somewhere to be!

Alas I doubt it is a dealer problem. I think it is a customer problem. There are so many folks who think they know things when they don't know anything. Assuming the VW dealer didn't tell him about the charger limitations, and assuming that he didn't read the #$%^%%# manual, he is still a complete bozo.

Back