Lucid vs Mercedes/BMW not Tesla

LucidBrit

Cars
MB S65, MB E320
Isn’t it a mistake to have all these comparisons against the Tesla model S. The specs, features and target would seem to be closer to the MB S class and 7 series BMW.
In 2021, MB sold 14k S class in the US, and BMW sold nearly 8k 7 series cars. Both are well established brands. Lucid is brand new and in 2022 will sell about 7000 vehicles into what seems to me to be the same market. Why isn’t anyone saying that this is unprecedented success?

Isn’t it a mistake to have all these comparisons against the Tesla model S. The specs, features and target would seem to be closer to the MB S class and 7 series BMW.
In 2021, MB sold 14k S class in the US, and BMW sold nearly 8k 7 series cars. Both are well established brands. Lucid is brand new and in 2022 will sell about 7000 vehicles into what seems to me to be the same market. Why isn’t anyone saying that this is unprecedented success?
Because doom! is more exciting to people? I honestly don’t know.

Because most of the Teslas sold are Model Y followed by Model 3. In any case, why do we want to compare Lucid with the vastly inferior Model S with just a few cameras, poor display, hardly any buttons and claiming full self driving which is technically level 4 ADAS IMHO.

Because most of the Teslas sold are Model Y followed by Model 3. In any case, why do we want to compare Lucid with the vastly inferior Model S with just a few cameras, poor display, hardly any buttons and claiming full self driving which is technically level 4 ADAS IMHO.
Because the Model Y is an entry-level crossover/SUV, and the Model 3 is an entry-level small/midsize sedan. The key word 'entry-level' is also why they sell a lot more of them. They sell fewer Model S/X because they are much more expensive.

That is vastly different from a luxury midsize/fullsize sedan, which would be more comparable, like the S class and 7 series; but those aren't EVs, and so Tesla is the one everyone compares it to; also because the media loves drama, for obvious reasons, and stoking Elon to hopefully stir more drama usually works to generate clicks.

Because Elon Musk doesn’t own Mercedes and BMW.

Exactly, saw more garbage articles today forwarded by my family to me

it's all to garner fear, hype, or get views
And I think his stupid comment did impact lucid stock today till someone stepped in to buy big time and wipe out the loss.

And I think his stupid comment did impact lucid stock today till someone stepped in to buy big time and wipe out the loss.
Yup. This is the answer to why people compare Lucid and Tesla. They're different companies focusing on very different markets of buyers, but hey... clicks are money.

Mercedes and BWM sell I lot of cars other than S class and 7 series that are profitable, Lucid will have to sell far more than 7,000 cars to keep the lights on.

Mercedes and BWM sell I lot of cars other than S class and 7 series that are profitable, Lucid will have to sell far more than 7,000 cars to keep the lights on.
I agree. And clearly that is the plan. My point is that in the market segment they are aiming at with the Air, they have sold the same number of units as BMW in their first year of production. To me that is amazing. If - of course it is a big if - they can have the same kind of success with an e class equivalent (historically MBs biggest seller) they might end up doing even more than just keeping the lights on.

I think Lucid is well on its way to success, and your post is spot on. BTW, I also had a Jaguar XJ that was luxurious and had fantastic driving dynamics. I like the Lucid even more than that.

BMW/MB sell cars worldwide. MB sold 87,064 s class in 2021. Most importantly, everyone knows BMW and MB. People buy their cars as long as they can afford them.

Compare the Lucid to the EQS Sedan which for the first 3 quarters of this year sold 5,749 units. It’s on par with the cars in its competition class but yeah, unlike MB, BMW, etc. they don’t yet have other lower priced models to prop them up.

FYI. here are some numbers.

1670718562648.png

Great point! Also a Lucid Air DE or GT cost more than fully loaded MB S or BMW 7. Lucid had done an amazing thing in year 1. It’s amazing actually.

The Lucid Air is almost exactly the same size as my former BMW 5 series. It is a midsized car. The proper MB comparison would be to the EQE; BMW would be the forthcoming I5, Porsche the Taycan.

The other matter that often galls me is comparing apples to oranges. Lucid plays in a luxury performance place. Porsche plays in the same place. Tesla plays in the performance space but not the luxury space. Many Audis play in the luxury space but not the performance space.

Of course you are going to pay more to play in both spaces then you would have had to pay to play in only one.

FYI. here are some numbers.

View attachment 7500
It’s kind of misleading that S/X are grouped together for the purpose of this discussion. Apparently Tesla sold 11,555 Model S sedans in 2021. SUVs are by far and away the biggest sellers in the US, so hopefully Lucid has some success with Gravity.

The Lucid Air is almost exactly the same size as my former BMW 5 series. It is a midsized car. The proper MB comparison would be to the EQE; BMW would be the forthcoming I5, Porsche the Taycan.
Are you sure about the sizes?
Are you comparing outside dimensions, or the inside ones.
The inside dimensions are MBs (S class) comparable.

Back