Lucid super thin paint, problem?

Volund

Verified Owner
Cars
Lucid Air Grand Touring
You guys should check this out:

I don't think this is acceptable for a car worth this much, it really does look like corner cutting to me where any rock chip would need full paint correction.

Anyone feel the same way?

I also feel that the car shouldn't be like this. I'm hoping that the paint quality has improved since the production of that specific car.

All of these videos need to be taken with a grain of salt unless they confirm the delivery of the car was after the changes Lucid made this summer to the production process. The earlier cars definitely had more issues than what’s being delivered now.

All of these videos need to be taken with a grain of salt unless they confirm the delivery of the car was after the changes Lucid made this summer to the production process. The earlier cars definitely had more issues than what’s being delivered now.
I assumed that this was the case.

No need to obsess.

So if my used AGT has this problem, do you think it's something Lucid would be willing to take a look at?

Or am I just out of luck?

Just don’t get it measured

You may never be be able to tell a difference with your eyes
I feel like any rock chip that takes the paint straight to primer or metal is pretty bad. My AGT has 1 chip he said if you look closely.

There's some members here who have only done clear bra to the front. How is the sides and rest of the paint holding up?
@borski

I've seen the video and heard the comments but believe me this has nothing to do with the quality of the coating system. I worked in the coatings industry for 38 years. Some of the highest quality coating systems available are very thin films. There is a huge amount of chemistry that dictates performance. We have no idea of what that might be for Lucid's choice of paint.

Pete

I feel like any rock chip that takes the paint straight to primer or metal is pretty bad. My AGT has 1 chip he said if you look closely.

There's some members here who have only done clear bra to the front. How is the sides and rest of the paint holding up?
@borski
To some extent, thinner paint may be less susceptible to making a large chip from a small impact than thicker paint. The only way to make paint thicker on a car is to completely repaint it. A very high-quality repaint costs in the neighborhood of $25-50K. There's nothing wrong with thin paint unless you are planning to have the car's paint "corrected" (sanded & polished). Unless you are planning to make a museum piece of your car, IMO there's no point to it.

To some extent, thinner paint may be less susceptible to making a large chip from a small impact than thicker paint. The only way to make paint thicker on a car is to completely repaint it. A very high-quality repaint costs in the neighborhood of $25-50K. There's nothing wrong with thin paint unless you are planning to have the car's paint "corrected" (sanded & polished). Unless you are planning to make a museum piece of your car, IMO there's no point to it.
So if I have rock chips, what steps can I make before adding ppf to the car? They'd need to paint correct right?

So if I have rock chips, what steps can I make before adding ppf to the car? They'd need to paint correct right?
They can touch them up before PPF goes on. No need to polish the whole area before applying PPF. Paint correction is more of a preparation step for ceramic-coating

Let's clear up what paint correction at a detail shop really is - it's taking scratches and swirl marks out of the clear coat. Nobody wants to perform a correction that goes down to the actual paint. If they did that, they would have to apply clear coat over the paint and that would probably be done at a paint shop. Every quote you get should include light paint correction before applying ppf - shops normally don't break out the cost because it's built into the cost of doing the ppf. I think Peter's car was an exception (at least we have to hope so). The detail shop several of us have used in SD told me they haven't had any issues with the Lucids. Then she asked if I owned a Tesla, told her no and she rolled her eyes and said they see a lot of issues with Teslas.

Let's clear up what paint correction at a detail shop really is - it's taking scratches and swirl marks out of the clear coat. Nobody wants to perform a correction that goes down to the actual paint. If they did that, they would have to apply clear coat over the paint and that would probably be done at a paint shop. Every quote you get should include light paint correction before applying ppf - shops normally don't break out the cost because it's built into the cost of doing the ppf. I think Peter's car was an exception (at least we have to hope so). The detail shop several of us have used in SD told me they haven't had any issues with the Lucids. Then she asked if I owned a Tesla, told her no and she rolled her eyes and said they see a lot of issues with Teslas.
Yeah that's the same thing I was told by my detailer here in Los Gatos. He has done over 15 Lucids at this point and he said the paint is consistently very good. He also has done a huge volume of Teslas and he has had multiple problems with their paint jobs.

I’d be more worried about some prick slamming their door up against your car and denting it than the non-existent mass paint problem that rears its ugly head up every month or so.

The company I took my car to for PPF was very impressed with the paint quality.

Thanks, that makes sense. I saw this vid and I raised my eyebrows and wanted to make sure.
I really hope that Lucid is doing a good paint job, I mean the way he makes it sound in the video was that he's never seen paint levels that thin in his life on any car, so that's why I wanted to bring it up

I've seen the video and heard the comments but believe me this has nothing to do with the quality of the coating system. I worked in the coatings industry for 38 years. Some of the highest quality coating systems available are very thin films. There is a huge amount of chemistry that dictates performance. We have no idea of what that might be for Lucid's choice of paint.

Pete
THANK YOU for pointing this out. Before Tesla nobody even knew what paint “thickness” was, and now we’ve got a bunch of consumers in a panic running out and buying paint meters. 🤦‍♂️

YouTube is not a scientific study people, this guy has examined a total of ONE car and now everyone thinks Lucid paint sucks. My car was likely built the same week as this car (@Pete44 car), same color, etc, and my PPF guy said the paint was really good and much better than Tesla.

So I mentioned the rock chip to my PPF installer and told him the owner mentioned it to me.
He told me that he needs to know the color code for the paint so he can order it.

What do I do? Call Lucid and see if they have anything? Or what do you guys recommend?

It's my car in the video and I trust the detailer's analysis. Having said that, my GT was a fairly early production run and has a somewhat unique history. Apparently, it was delivered to a customer in Texas in early May and for some reason they didn't accept it. In late June, I took delivery of the car as the first registered owner with 300 miles on the odometer. I'm not sure how the car was used before I took delivery and it's possible that it was machine polished once or twice before it was mine. Since the video, I've asked Lucid (multiple times) for any additional info on the car history, but they haven't responded. So, mine might be an anomaly, but I'm not sure.

Back