Lucid Q2 2024 Results (official per Lucid Website)

GMan

Verified Owner
Reaction score
Cars
Air Touring
Referral Code
60T8OVVK
Wow, bold statement.
Rawlinson usually deliveres.
Let's see...

I don't have X..could you please share the full...tweet? X?
Lucid CEO Peter Rawlinson on Q2 financial results call: "We are planning an over-the-air software update that will significantly enhance our advanced driver assistance system, or ADAS, including the introduction of hands-free highway assist, lane change assist, curb rash assist, and more. We also have plans for a comprehensive update to the user experience – new interfaces, new functions, and further app enhancements. I think customers are going to be delighted. We are making a big push on many aspects of our user interface software."

This is what I'm talking about! It's great that Lucid recognizes how important a robust and stable UI is for mainstream success. They already did the heavy lift on the driving dynamics and powertrain efficiency. Curb rash assist? This will be good for my relationship with my wife who is #hopeforthebest when parallel parking.

It seems that some of these updates are for those with DDP. They will be great additions. I wonder if Lucid has a core group of early adopters that receive these updates early to work out some of the kinks.

Earnings call transcript: https://archive.is/04mm9

Some choice quotes:
Peter: 2025 Air Sedans will also have the Sapphire heat pump and of course the latest advancements in motor design. Now this collectively is how we were able to obtain a 512 miles of EPA estimated range for the Lucid Air Grand Touring under the more stringent EPA testing and achieved five miles per kilowatt hour with the new Air Pure.

And we'll continue to provide more features and value. We are planning an over-the-air software update that will significantly enhance our Advanced Driver Assistance System or ADAS and it's including the introduction of hands-free highway assist, lane change assist, curb rash assist and more.

We also have plans for a comprehensive update to the user experience, new interfaces, new functions and further app enhancements. I think customers are going to be delighted. We're making a really big push on many aspects of our user interface software. So, despite the market dynamics, we are making inroads, making constant improvements and gaining market share with Air.

Peter: Right, right, right. So we're having a big, big push on software. I've personally taken a leading role in driving software. I was reviewing ADAS this morning with the team. There is a new vigor in the company and we're going to introduce a hands-free lane assist before the year is out. We've got a whole range of improvements that I am personally driving and that isn't just ADAS, that's the whole infotainment stack in the car. And I want to roll a lot of that out this year on Air in the run up to Gravity. So people will see what's due on Gravity, how awesome it's going to be and there'll be incremental evidence of improvement on Air as we roll towards Gravity.

And then Peter went off on whoever this Paul C guy is haha:

Maynard Um: Thanks, Gagan. Thanks, Peter. Question two is also from Paul C. There are companies working on axial radial flux motors and claiming highest torque and power density while using less materials. Some claim to be production-ready within one to two years. How does this compare to Lucid's Motors? And how are you staying ahead of the upcoming tech?

Peter Rawlinson: Oh, man, don't get me started here. So there's two sort of categories of permanent magnet motors and there's the axial flux motor, which is larger diameter and it's short, it's more like a pancake shape. And then Lucid's Motors are radial flux, they're more like a drum shape. And it's quite fascinating. I mean really I think there's a fundamental lack of understanding just how technically advanced Lucid's radial flux motors are. The axial flux motors stack up reasonably well against other people's radial flux, but compared with what the level of technology that we got at Lucid for any battery EV and axial flux motor really sucks. Now because they are large diameter, relatively low revs and quite flat, they've got a great application in a gasoline hybrid. And you see these in super sports cars and they're great for that because they rev about 8,000 RPM like a fast internal combustion engine. But really the problem they've got is there are very-high thrust forces and they are effectively because they're large diameter, they can't spin very fast. And if you want to get the speed up to maybe 10,000 RPM, you really need to resort to carbon wrapping. And believe you me, anyone who has to resort to carbon wrapping doesn't really know what they're doing with electric motors because it's super-high cost, it's super difficult to manufacture. You do not want to do carbon wrapping. It is a last resort. And also actual flux motors are super difficult to manufacture. They've got these segmented laminations and they're radial layered. So each lamination is a different size. They are a nightmare to put together. And so here's the thing that you can for a similar power-to-weight ratio get more torque out of an axial flux. But it's about 23% more, something like that, a really good example compared with where a lucid radial flux is, but the Lucid radial flux will spin about 20,000 RPM compared with the axial flux of 8,000 RPM. And what I said in one of my tech talks and motors is what really matters is not just not even gravimetric power density, it's this bandwidth between maximum spin speed and bottom-end torque. And we are just so far ahead of an axial flux motor. And as I say, I think there's a fundamental lack of understanding just how far advanced we are. We're not going to get to five miles per kilowatt hour anywhere close if we went axial flux, I'm sorry.

how is 'hands-free highway assist' different from today's highway assist?
Presumably no need to keep your hands on the steering wheel, a la BlueCruise.
Eye tracking is used to verify driver attention.

Today is hands-on-wheel. Future is eyes-on-road.
Exactly, just like the Super Cruise in my wife's SUV. Hands-free but requiring eyes on the road.

Hopefully a lot more roads unlocked for its use also!

This is the type of communication we have been asking for and it’s a focus on the two biggest complaints: ADAS and software.

I will now eat my humble pie… or will soon once we get the updates. I’m pumped though!

This is the type of communication we have been asking for and it’s a focus on the two biggest complaints: ADAS and software.

I will now eat my humble pie… or will soon once we get the updates. I’m pumped though!
On Saturday at Florida event we asked about software. We were informed that our questions are heard and it will be taken to Peter and as said we were answered. This is great 😀

Lucid has removed almost of the detail from their statement of cash flows, this is not good.

Lucid has removed almost of the detail from their statement of cash flows, this is not good.
Not sure what you are talking about.

IMG_0218.webp

Today is hands-on-wheel. Future is eyes-on-road.
I certainly hope they reposition the camera used to monitor the driver. Otherwise, a lot of people over 6' are not going to be able to use it without putting the steering wheel in an uncomfortable/unfamiliar position

Back