Lucid Production Week Event

Tire noise transmission into the cabin depends on the type of pavement more than the condition of the roadway. In her first video, Nikki commented that they were riding along the same road she had traveled in her Chevy Bolt to get to the test departure point. She said the Air was smoothly soaking up irregularities that had pounded her a bit in the Bolt. A smooth asphalt road with a lot of potholes is very different from a pebbly gravel and tar road with an unbroken surface in terms of tire noise.

By the time you have to confirm your order there will have been a lot more test drives reported out by major automotive journals, and a rough consensus may begin to emerge about the NVH characteristics of the car. You have to remember that, other than Jonny Lieberman of "Motor Trend" who had the car for two days on a variety of roads, no one outside of Lucid has driven the car more than a few minutes for a few miles. And here's what Lieberman had to say:

"The 2022 Lcid Air is quiet, comfortable, and luxurious . . . . There's a bit of wind noise, but it's not bad by any stretch of the imagination. We were on a smooth road, and tire noise was minimal. It's worth noting the Air was fitted with different wheels and tires on different days. On Angeles Crest [a less-than-ideal surface by my recollection from living in L.A.], the cars were on 21-inch wheels wrapped in Lucid-spec Pirelli P Zeros . . . . For the road trip, the car sat on 19s wearing Lucid-spec low rolling resistance all-season P Zeros . . . ."

So -- driving on both 19" and 21" wheels, on both summer-rated and all-season tires, on L.A. and San Francisco city streets as well as Angeles Crest Highway blacktop and a concrete interstate, and at different speeds including highway speeds, the only mention of tire noise was that it was "minimal". In fact, wind noise was noted as more than tire noise.

If all I had to go on was what Lieberman said versus what Conner said, I would have to go with Lieberman, who drove the car over a vastly wider array of conditions, surfaces, distances, and equipment than Conner's 15 minutes on two desert roads.

Can someone please educate me. What does NVH stand for(I'll take a guess for noise vehicle something)

I’d certainly hope the Lucid soaked up bumps more smoothly than her Bolt! ;)

Yes, road surface material is certainly a key element in how much noise is potentially transmitted to the cabin. However here in NY, regardless of the road material, highway crews lay down the most dreadful pothole patches imaginable. So before long you’re riding on as much ‘patch’ as you are original roadway. If the car rides quietly here, it will ride quietly virtually anywhere. That’s why I tend to put a lot of weight on Conner’s experience on the poor roads he traversed. I suspect they’re more indicative of the roads here.

I agree, as time goes on there will be more of a consensus on the important issue (for me) of NVH. Stay tuned.

Edit: WildRide, NVH stands for ‘noise/vibration/harshness’. This becomes an important aspect for many in the luxury car arena. This can encompass wind noise, rattles, the car’s transmission of noise on different road surfaces, etc.

While southern and coastal California does not have the freeze/thaw cycles the destroy pavement in the northeast, it does have constant ground movement that does the same thing to pavement. I lived in the Hollywood hills, and our home foundation and pool shell went through constant cracking/repair cycles from ground shift. Keeping driveway gate posts in alignment was tricky business, and the canyon roads constantly cracked and pulled away from the high granite curbs meant to control the runoff from flash deluges.

Trust me, Lieberman's ride on the Angeles Crest Highway and the street surfaces of both L.A. and San Francisco wouldn't be much different from what you experience. (I've lived in Burlington, VT, Beckett, MA, and twice in Fairfield County, Connecticut, and I was in and out of NYC and its airports frequently. I know the weather and traffic challenges to northeastern pavement all too well.)

I simply don't buy the proposition that Lucid has taken the extreme care it has in so many aspects of engineering the Air, yet let something as bad as the tire noise Conner described or the boominess from the glass canopy that Abigail Bassett of "TechCrunch" described get through their design efforts.

Both the test drives Conner did and Bassett did were on the same roads on the same day in the same weather. One noted extreme tire noise about which the other said nothing. And the other noted an excessive boominess that escaped the notice of the first guy. This just doesn't add up. There's something going on that is not yet clear.

Both the test drives Conner did and Bassett did were on the same roads on the same day in the same weather. One noted extreme tire noise about which the other said nothing. And the other noted an excessive boominess that escaped the notice of the first guy. This just doesn't add up. There's something going on that is not yet clear.
And that's what's been bothering me since I first heard of this issue (assuming it actually is an issue). There's such a variation in opinion, it's truly bizarre. How about Conner saying it's quiet and then 5 seconds later saying it's much noisier than he expected. My head hurts. ;)

I'm voting for "it's the tires." In the past I've notice a significant change in going from my low profile wheels to the smaller diameter wheels with winter snow tires. Blizzaks are soft cold compliant rubber on top of it. I wonder how long Lucid had these new Pirelli tires?

Rear tires are slightly wider, not sure how that influences things.

And that's what's been bothering me since I first heard of this issue (assuming it actually is an issue). There's such a variation in opinion, it's truly bizarre. How about Conner saying it's quiet and then 5 seconds later saying it's much noisier than he expected. My head hurts. ;)

The human ear does undergo something called adaptation. Those of us old enough to remember older cars when you would get into it the next day and turn ignition on and radio is blaring. I'm sure the longer you're in the car the interior may start to sound more quiet. Just a thought.

The human ear does undergo something called adaptation. Those of us old enough to remember older cars when you would get into it the next day and turn ignition on and radio is blaring. I'm sure the longer you're in the car the interior may start to sound more quiet. Just a thought.
I can tell you 100% I’m exactly the opposite. Once I hear a noise, regardless of its origin, I focus more and more on it. That’s why rattles are such a killer for me.

Lucid just posted Peter's Keynote from Tuesday. It is worth listening to. He does talk about 88kWhr making 405 mile range but he does not say that is what is in the Touring and Pure. Nice comments about manufacturing capacity also. Interesting graph of the demand curve versus price and Air Pure by late 2022.

Last edited:
I agree that the tires have a significant component to the noise factor. All my Porsche cars come with Pirellis. When I switched to Michelin, they are noticeably quieter. Pirellis are noisy tires. Always have been.

Lucken and I have similar viewpoints. We both hate rattles and noise in our auto's. I'm also on the borderline between ordering quantum gray or cosmos silver(Lucken is going with the silver. Would be nice if I can get to see the colors beforehand. Since I am going up to Arizona in early January, wonder if they would have any examples of those colors in production at the factory to view.

I agree that the tires have a significant component to the noise factor. All my Porsche cars come with Pirellis. When I switched to Michelin, they are noticeably quieter. Pirellis are noisy tires. Always have been.
Beginning to look like delivery on 19" and ship wheels only home and find quieter EV tires for the 21" or delivery on 20" if range is announced and just change to quieter EV tire.

"Barron's" published its review a few hours ago:

On interior noise it said, "the Air is docile around town, and quiet as a country road at 2 a.m. Nothing intrudes but the chill-out 'spa' music that Lucid dictated would be playing through the infotainment system." It also echoed the remarks in the "InsideEVs" podcast from Kyle Conner and Tom Moloughney that the car was very well built and precisely assembled, with a particularly good paint job. "Barron's" also noted the car was entirely squeak and rattle free.

I had been wondering if it would be awkward to back the car using the rearview cameras, as I assumed the image would display on the lower Pilot Screen. However, CNET just posted some pictures that put me at ease. It seems the camera image will be displayed on the Glass Cockpit and also that a bird's-eye view will be displayed on the Pilot Screen. I'm guessing the bird's-eye view will be computer generated from the various camera inputs, as I don't think a tracking drone comes with the car.

Screen Shot 2021-10-02 at 10.23.40 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-10-02 at 10.24.14 AM.png

I had been wondering if it would be awkward to back the car using the rearview cameras, as I assumed the image would display on the lower Pilot Screen. However, CNET just posted some pictures that put me at ease. It seems the camera image will be displayed on the Glass Cockpit and also that a bird's-eye view will be displayed on the Pilot Screen. I'm guessing the bird's-eye view will be computer generated from the various camera inputs, as I don't think a tracking drone comes with the car.

View attachment 157

View attachment 158
This should be helpful in the other thread about the DC chargers. Hopefully, you can swap this for front camera.

I'd actually be shocked if the Lucid didn't have this as so many cars, almost regardless of price, have it. My wife just bought a $37,000 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid to replace her Lexus hybrid and it too has this feature (bird's eye + rear view + front view when pulling forward...all automatically activated depending on what the car is doing). It also activates and displays the left or right camera depending on whether you signal for a left or right turn.

So yes, if the Lucid didn't have it I'd be floored.

Anyone using ABRP? Just trying to see how to edit vehicle to match Air GT on 20" wheels. Currently only has Dream Edition (alpha) and 113 kWh battery.

I'd actually be shocked if the Lucid didn't have this as so many cars, almost regardless of price, have it.

As neither our 2015 nor our brand new Tesla Model S has this feature, I assumed it was something quite new. I've apparently been sipping some of that Kool-Aid the Tesla fanboys gulp down about how Tesla is ahead of everyone on everything and is really the world's leading software company.

I asked my brother, who follows Tesla and EV news closer than I do, and he said Tesla has been trying to introduce the birds-eye feature but has found its cameras are not placed so as to allow the generation of a computer simulation.

Live and learn.

Interesting video on the difference between standard tires and tires engineered specifically for EVs:

Back