Lucid produced 1,728 vehicles and delivered 1,967 vehicles during this period

Well, if I don't gotta shut up... :) You are spot on about the car selling itself, but what you call 'relatively low rates', I call 'crazy ass rates'. Rates that I can barely live with when flushing out the old stuff, given the production sins of the past, but the new stuff too??? As a former pilot, it's called being on the back side of the power curve, and it seldom ends well. Somebody mentioned Q1 units being up 40% YOY, but what will people think when they see Q1 (and Q2) revenue YOY? OK. Now I really will shut up, because I dearly hope that I'm dead wrong.
I think the issue is that you think they care about how the Air sells. I remain unconvinced of that.

The Air is a flagship car to get people introduced to and swept up by the brand. It was never going to be their big moneymaker.

But as an indicator of what the brand is (and their future vehicles will be) about, it’s pretty perfect.

As a sales item? It’s a medium-large sedan; America doesn’t want that. As we saw in an earlier interview, Peter didn’t want to build a sedan; he did that because the investors effectively told him he had to. That’s fine, but it doesn’t seem that they have any signs of slowing funding because I don’t think anyone anticipated the Air being their big seller.

It’s the thing that put them on the map. Everything flows down from here.

My $.02

I think the issue is that you think they care about how the Air sells. I remain unconvinced of that.

The Air is a flagship car to get people introduced to and swept up by the brand. It was never going to be their big moneymaker.

But as an indicator of what the brand is (and their future vehicles will be) about, it’s pretty perfect.

As a sales item? It’s a medium-large sedan; America doesn’t want that. As we saw in an earlier interview, Peter didn’t want to build a sedan; he did that because the investors effectively told him he had to. That’s fine, but it doesn’t seem that they have any signs of slowing funding because I don’t think anyone anticipated the Air being their big seller.

My $.02
If so, I keep circling back to my original question... What was Tesla's Model S production and pricing strategy when they were struggling, and without the air cover that Lucid enjoys? I think they had the same game plan you are referencing. My $.015

Can you provide a link to this interview?

At 38:45 mark, Peter says “ OK, we will invest but it got to be a Sedan..”

At 39:08 mark, Peter also says “I was told, we will give you this money but you HAVE to deliver a sedan”

If so, I keep circling back to my original question... What was Tesla's Model S production and pricing strategy when they were struggling, and without the air cover that Lucid enjoys? I think they had the same game plan you are referencing. My $.015

Tesla Model S was production constrained through about 2018. When Taycan came out in late 2019 Tesla Model S was demand constrained and Tesla Model X became production constrained. This also coincided with introduction of Jaguar I-Pace in late 2018 and Audi E-tron in early 2019. Mach-e debut was late 2019. Before that there was Nissan LEAF and Chevy B(V)olt.

In 2012 Tesla sold 2650 Model S
In 2013 Tesla sold 22, 477 Model S
In 2014 Tesla sold 31,655 Model S
In 2015 Tesla sold 50,658 Model S.

In ~2016 Tesla stopped telling US how many Model S they sold/delivered instead combining number with Model X.

In 2016 Tesla sold 76,230 Model S/X
In 2017 Tesla sold 101,312 Model S/X
In 2018 Tesla sold 99,394 Model S/X
In 2019 Tesla sold 68,650 Model S/X
In 2020 Tesla sold 57,039 Model S/X
In 2021 Tesla sold 24,964 Model S/X
In 2022 Tesla sold 66,705 Model S/X
In 2023 Tesla sold 68,874 Model S/X/Cybertrucks. At most that is 2k Cybertrucks. Moving forward it looks like Tesla will bunch those three models together.

Counterintuitively when chips/parts became scarce during Covid lockdowns Tesla took from Model S/X to prioritize Model 3/Y.

Prices have varied wildly to match demand with supply.

I think he probably wanted to do a sedan but also had others lined up from the beginning. ….. The whole package of models. Gravity is the key to the rest of the lineup coming to fruition

Last edited:
Just saw 2 Lucids in my company customer parking lot…..more visibility = more sales

Despite the good news and gravity upcoming release stock hit all tine low today at $2.42 Good buying opportunity for anyone wanting to jump in. Take the plunge!

I love the car but buying stock is like catching a falling knife. I really don't expect much movement in stock until the cheapest Gravity starts selling and becomes the volume leader for Lucid. That may well be 1.5 years or more away and by then there is going to be a lot of competition.

I love the car but buying stock is like catching a falling knife. I really don't expect much movement in stock until the cheapest Gravity starts selling and becomes the volume leader for Lucid. That may well be 1.5 years or more away and by then there is going to be a lot of competition.
Trust me, my hands are so bloody it doesn't event hurt anymore.

Trust me, my hands are so bloody it doesn't event hurt anymore.
I could have purchased another GT for my losses on Lucid Stock. Sitting on 17,500 shares and cringe as it keeps getting lower. Giving cars away is only reducing the margins which will keep driving the price lower. They need to do a better job of marketing the vehicle as more than half the people that see mine ask who makes it because they have never heard of the Lucid brand. Depending on users to market and educate people on what the car is not the best approach.

I could have purchased another GT for my losses on Lucid Stock. Sitting on 17,500 shares and cringe as it keeps getting lower. Giving cars away is only reducing the margins which will keep driving the price lower. They need to do a better job of marketing the vehicle as more than half the people that see mine ask who makes it because they have never heard of the Lucid brand. Depending on users to market and educate people on what the car is not the best approach.
However, clearing out the 2023 inventory and 18 month leases were the right move I think. They need cash to operate and build Gravity. After the 18 month lease, I expect the interest rates to fall and many of those leases could turn into purchases and also possible to improve margins by upgrading some of them to a higher level of DD.

However, clearing out the 2023 inventory and 18 month leases were the right move I think. They need cash to operate and build Gravity. After the 18 month lease, I expect the interest rates to fall and many of those leases could turn into purchases and also possible to improve margins by upgrading some of them to a higher level of DD.
And what happens if in 18 months the economy does not improve and users don't buy those leases and Lucid gets stuck with used 2023 models in 2025? How low will them dump them at auction? I have already lost $60k+ in the value of my GT in 1 1/2 years. Will our $138k cars be worth less than $50k in 3 years?

Put in another order today just for fun. If it drops to 2.32 I'll have a bunch more shares.

Not too big to fail but definitely too cool to fail. :)

My $.02
I agree with this. I don’t think they ever intended for the Air to be the car that sold like hotcakes but seems everyone outside of Lucid thought it was going to sell like a Model 3 and are now annoyed it’s not moving. Why they thought that based on the care price is crazy to me.

When you have an opportunity to speak to Lucid Execs they don’t seem phased or worried about the volume of cars moving at the moment (at least that’s the impression I’m taking). They talk about the future models and that’s when you see the passion starting to come out. They do have good poker faces though.

For now, it’s all about showing off what they can do. The competition should definitely be keeping an eye on them when the mid range comes out. Lucid is a dark horse at the moment in my opinion.

And what happens if in 18 months the economy does not improve and users don't buy those leases and Lucid gets stuck with used 2023 models in 2025? How low will them dump them at auction? I have already lost $60k+ in the value of my GT in 1 1/2 years. Will our $138k cars be worth less than $50k in 3 years?
There is that risk.

In 2 years from right now….50K is exactly what I figure a 2022 with 20K for miles will be worth- perhaps slightly less. They are currently about 70-75K with low miles.
2020 Porsche Taycan that had msrp close to 190K are now 80K. Luxury EV’s are quick on depreciation. Look at the Audi e Tron GT and Mercedes EQS depreciation curve.
🙃👀👀👀
Marketing dept needs a lot of work.

Last edited:
Back