Lucid, please roadmap this

Being a total novice, how often does the underbody get damaged from potholes? Isn't it predominantly the tires? I don't understand how useful this feature actually would be.

Depends how big the hole is. :)

pothole.png

Being a total novice, how often does the underbody get damaged from potholes? Isn't it predominantly the tires? I don't understand how useful this feature actually would be.
Honestly, I think they are mainly developing this feature for FSD. (One of the many loose ends that I often cite whenever someone tells me level 5 is right around the corner.) Right now, the car will gladly drive full speed over a speed hump, for instance. And make no effort whatsoever to go around potholes or small debris in the road, because it can’t “see” them.

Forget the suspension hijinks. Just some sort of audible warning when a pothole is coming up would be welcome. Especially if Lidar or radar could detect ones that you can’t see because of the car in front of you.

I think it’s a great feature idea. And Lucid should absolutely copy it at some point.

I do worry, though, that this is yet another potential area for “phantom” behavior. What the car does when it “thinks” there’s a pothole that isn’t there scares the crap out of me, given Tesla’s track record.

I do worry, though, that this is yet another potential area for “phantom” behavior. What the car does when it “thinks” there’s a pothole that isn’t there scares the crap out of me, given Tesla’s track record.
Yep, and in many lotions here in NYC, there are potholes everywhere. I won't be able to drive a few feet without the car breaking...

The Air does not have an air suspension, so it wouldn’t be able to adjust to potholes. Also adjusting the suspension regularly seems like it would be very uncomfortable?
GM magnetic ride control adjusts the suspension every 5 milliseconds. It makes the ride much smoother and reduces the impact on pot holes. Granted the Vette is a much lighter car, never lost a tire to a pot hole. Have lost 2 front lefts so far on the Lucid. Lucid is not alone. Alpina B7 with 21s I lost a couple tires over the years in similar fashion. Heavy cars with low profile tires it’s unfortunately going to happen from time to time.

The Air does not have an air suspension, so it wouldn’t be able to adjust to potholes. Also adjusting the suspension regularly seems like it would be very uncomfortable?
Adjustable dampers, even with non adjustable springs, could still have some benefit for sections of rough road. From what I can find the Air uses Bilstein Damptronic Sky dampers which I think have on-the-fly adjustment capability. Will not change ride height obviously but can tweak damping to smooth out the ride somewhat.

I use Waze (hello, CarPlay) which has user submitted pothole warnings. This can be hit and miss but there have been more than a handful of times I saw a warning and was able to switch into hyper-vigilance mode and dodge potholes that I might have not been able to otherwise. Definitely better than nothing.

Do you really want Lucid to add another software controlled feature??

This would be brilliant if it worked as advertised and if it could be implemented on the lucid!

Back