Lucid Party @ Gravity Reveal-LA AutoShow November, 2023?

Yes, I meant the motorized shades. It is one example of really specific things that don't really get a mention in the website.

(i dont actually care about that, just using it as an example)

I wonder if there is the potential for gravity to have electrochromic shading?
Lucid unveiled two prototypes at the LA Auto Show. Speculations about features are rampant. I'm sure there will be greater detail to come as Lucid finalize specifications for production.

I wonder if there is the potential for gravity to have electrochromic shading?

This was also mentioned in one of the presentations, saying that Lucid is still exploring the possibility of electrochromic dimming. But Rivian backed off their plans for electrochromic dimming when the newer IR-shielding tints became available, and I suspect Lucid will stay on that path, especially with a newer generation of tint becoming available. Rivian actually found that the tint they use on the R1S has better UV and IR rejection characteristics than electrochromic film.

We really don't have much: just a capacity estimate for only one battery pack size, one max hp rating for the most powerful trim level, one estimate of fastest time for the fastest trim level, and the range of wheel sizes.

We still don't know how many trim levels there will be at what power and range ratings, what options are available on what trim levels, when will lower trim levels become available, etc.
So I just finished visiting the Lucid area at the LA Show. The car is a lot better than I thought. After waiting 3 years I’m ready.

However, Lucid is still suffering from growing pains. I found the following very disturbing at the show. They had at least 8 or more representatives who were there to answer questions. You would have thought( why am I so stupid) that ONE person there might have actually worked for Lucid and maybe could answer a few basic questions,take names of interested people etc etc. All of the people working there were from the 3rd party agency and probably had, at best, 6 hours of training. With my limited knowledge from this forum for three years I knew much more. Here is an example of one simple question.
Q The two cars on display- are those Dream Edition or Air Touring etc etc
A- I don’t know
So after asking a few basic questions I walked away. I then saw two guys discussing the Gravity and by their discussions I asked them if they worked for Lucid. They said they were Lucid Owners. I would have thought that the hype will never be greater for Gravity than this week. Lucid might have been ready with some basic facts. The fact that no one even knows the exact width of the car tells u all u have to know. In spite of my frustration I thought the Car looked great even from 20 feet as there was no way to get close to the two demo cars. Of course having no one to discuss any of this I called my wife to tell her of my excitement over seeing the car. Her response was, “Why would u buy a car from a company that appears to be going out of business”. While I don’t think they are going Bankrupt I sometimes wonder about their communications. You can tell I have nothing else to do while waiting for my train home.

So I just finished visiting the Lucid area at the LA Show. The car is a lot better than I thought. After waiting 3 years I’m ready.

However, Lucid is still suffering from growing pains. I found the following very disturbing at the show. They had at least 8 or more representatives who were there to answer questions. You would have thought( why am I so stupid) that ONE person there might have actually worked for Lucid and maybe could answer a few basic questions,take names of interested people etc etc. All of the people working there were from the 3rd party agency and probably had, at best, 6 hours of training. With my limited knowledge from this forum for three years I knew much more. Here is an example of one simple question.
A- I don’t know
So after asking a few basic questions I walked away. I then saw two guys discussing the Gravity and by their discussions I asked them if they worked for Lucid. They said they were Lucid Owners. I would have thought that the hype will never be greater for Gravity than this week. Lucid might have been ready with some basic facts. The fact that no one even knows the exact width of the car tells u all u have to know. In spite of my frustration I thought the Car looked great even from 20 feet as there was no way to get close to the two demo cars. Of course having no one to discuss any of this I called my wife to tell her of my excitement over seeing the car. Her response was, “Why would u buy a car from a company that appears to be going out of business”. While I don’t think they are going Bankrupt I sometimes wonder about their communications. You can tell I have nothing else to do while waiting for my train home.
That's pretty standard for car show staff. I used to work in the auto industry and would attend the Detroit Auto Show every year. Same thing. Everyone working the displays were simply hired for the show, and only knew a few talking points.

That's pretty standard for car show staff. I used to work in the auto industry and would attend the Detroit Auto Show every year. Same thing. Everyone working the displays were simply hired for the show, and only knew a few talking points.
I realize that is standard but I thought Lucid was a different kind of company and that one real employee might be there. The overall show was terrible as all the better Mfg no longer come. Rivian, Porsche etc.

It’s in every trim, as far as I’m aware.
To me, this signifies that Lucid is bringing a lot more features to the GRAVITY pure; first the glass roof and now this!
..but when you go into an actual studio, everybody is very well informed. I wouldn't base a purchase based on that.

All of the people working there were from the 3rd party agency and probably had, at best, 6 hours of training. With my limited knowledge from this forum for three years I knew much more. Here is an example of one simple question.
A- I don’t know
I have no idea who you talked to, but there were plenty of people there that worked for Lucid and could answer questions.

A- I don’t know

First, thanks for crediting the forum for your knowledge of Lucid and its cars. I agree that this forum has been incredible, thanks in large part to the generosity of its owner (@Joe) and its wonderfully patient and knowledgeable moderators. It’s also nice to hear that you ran into some enthusiastic and knowledgeable Lucid owners. They’re a friendly bunch, so hopefully you were able to discuss the car and your enthusiasm for it with them.

Second, I agree with @manitou202 that car show representatives may not be the most knowledgeable about cars. Wasn’t there a time when car manufacturers staffed their exhibits with “car show girls”? I’ve never been to a car show myself (and hope that they are a thing of the past) but suspect that these models may not be representative of sales people you find in showrooms or studios, even for a company such as Lucid.

Third, the model trim for the Lucid Air may be found written next to the Air logo on the pillar behind the side window. It’s also written below the Air emblem on the trunk. There are also other ways to tell but this is the most efficient if you can get close enough. The fact is that all Airs look pretty much alike from a distance, though there are differences in terms of some colors, side mirror caps, and presence/absence of glass roof. The Sapphire does stand out though.

Finally, the exact width of the Gravity not including mirrors is 78.7 inches. This information, as well as other basic facts, may be found here.

My main takeaway from the article, that I hadn't seen in detail:

The Gravity also offers a head-up display, something the Air never had. It's more than just a projection of speed and other items of interest, because it also includes augmented reality cues. This laser-enabled system can project lane lines and the position of the car ahead, even if the road is partially obscured by fog or rain. With guidance active, it also points you into a turn, confirms that you're on course, and gets you ready for the next one.​

That’s all very nice but can’t Lucid throw us hapless Air owners a bone and at least install a dashcam suite, a feature that’s been available in Teslas for a few years now? Better yet, can’t Lucid invest resources in using the hardware that’s already present, in cars already on the market, to install or augment all the software related features that were proposed at the beginning?

And I'm guessing that no one at Lucid has decided yet what distinguishes a Gravity DE vs. GT vs. T vs. P. They have a lot to figure out in a year.
When they started revealing Air in late 2021, they had a tease of Gravity with Air cross passing Gravity. Then same time last year, we saw another tease of woman fell from the sky to Gravity’s chair. Now finally LA Auto Show reveal. I think the Gravity’s progress to today’s prototype version is rather slow, perhaps the driver clean view and software mock up took some time to develop. I have no idea how long prototype gets to reservation. But I would like to see the pace faster as Lucid should learn the past mistakes with Air, especially not to insert Performance trim, Sapphire version to procrastinate Pure delivery to alienate the reservationists waited too long to cancel.

This was also mentioned in one of the presentations, saying that Lucid is still exploring the possibility of electrochromic dimming. But Rivian backed off their plans for electrochromic dimming when the newer IR-shielding tints became available, and I suspect Lucid will stay on that path, especially with a newer generation of tint becoming available. Rivian actually found that the tint they use on the R1S has better UV and IR rejection characteristics than electrochromic film.

I found that electrochromic dimming very attractive and practical. I saw it first time in BMW iX in Electrify Expo last weekend.

I realize that is standard but I thought Lucid was a different kind of company and that one real employee might be there. The overall show was terrible as all the better Mfg no longer come. Rivian, Porsche etc.

Rivian was at that LA Auto Show in 2018 revealed R1T and R1S. Many people reserve them on the spot, and many R1S reservationists had to wait 3.5~4 years to get delivery. And lots of ranting about it in their forum.

The manufacturers were not in LA Auto Show most likely have no new model to show to skip this marketing opportunity.

That’s all very nice but can’t Lucid throw us hapless Air owners a bone and at least install a dashcam suite, a feature that’s been available in Teslas for a few years now? Better yet, can’t Lucid invest resources in using the hardware that’s already present, in cars already on the market, to install or augment all the software related features that were proposed at the beginning?

The surveillance and dash-cam view is quite a buyers draw nowaday. Peter is performance car enthusiast engineer, I hope market research department inform him how much people want it when buying new EV. Vast majority of EV shoppers are more impressed by these bells and whistles of software than the suspension handling tbh.

The surveillance and dash-cam view is quite a buyers draw nowaday. Peter is performance car enthusiast engineer, I hope market research department inform him how much people want it when buying new EV. Vast majority of EV shoppers are more impressed by these bells and whistles of software than the suspension handling tbh.
The Air is more about the driving/battery technology. It’s for drivers mostly with no compromise on luxury, simple but quality. The Gravity will focus more on usability and family needs with no compromise on luxury.

I think Lucid will come out with your camera request when they are ready to install it on the Gravity. So maybe another year or so.

There is no rush to implement something like that on Air that will drain battery and therefore lower tech performance. Anyway, my thoughts…

Sorry if I'm repeating this, but on the InsideEV podcast, Kyle who was able to sit in the back of the Gravity, mentioned it had a lot more third row leg room than the R1S. He said it can legitimately fit 7 adults, unlike any of the other 7 seater EVs on sale.

Another number probably not included in the interior volume versus the R1S is the space below the false floor behind the rear seats. If you are using all three rows, that area below adds a lot of additional space for storage.

Sorry if I'm repeating this, but on the InsideEV podcast, Kyle who was able to sit in the back of the Gravity, mentioned it had a lot more third row leg room than the R1S. He said it can legitimately fit 7 adults, unlike any of the other 7 seater EVs on sale.

Another number probably not included in the interior volume versus the R1S is the space below the false floor behind the rear seats. If you are using all three rows, that area below adds a lot of additional space for storage.

"Throttle House" had one of their 6'6" staffers sit in the third row of the Gravity, and Lucid had a 6'10" fella sit back there. The taller guy said he fit, but he was obviously a bit cramped. However, the 6'6" guy seemed to fit comfortably in both the headroom and legroom department, albeit probably with the second row seats moved a bit forward. I've seen no similar demonstrations with the R1S third row.

Descriptions of rear seat room and comfort in written and even video reviews can be notoriously misleading. (This applies even to supposedly objective claims, such as a video I once saw that claimed the new Tesla Model S redesign created a roomier rear seat than in a Lucid Air. I put a tape measure on both our Model S and our Air, and the Air had 9.5" more rear legroom than the Tesla and virtually identical drops to the floor.) If third-row room for adults is a real issue for a buyer, there is no substitute for checking out the vehicle in person before committing to an order.

Yes, cabin volume is 120 cubic ft, R1S is 104.7 cubic ft. Frunk is 8 cubic ft vs R1S 11 cubic ft. And there is blown spare tire and underwell storage compartment behind 3rd row of R1S that Gravity doesn’t have and I cannot find that dimension info on internet. R1S I am able to move boxes, and fit in 8’ ladder from HomeDepot during rain. I’m sure Gravity can fit all that too. R1S has a scissor gates design not many SUV has which I like very much. It has a fold down tailgate like a truck and a glass lift gate like Jeep Wrangler. (You can use lift gate glass in Wrangler only if don’t mount full size spare tire in the back) That aspect, I think R1S implemented splendidly. However, in Gravity for lack of tailgate seats, Gravity make it up with frunk-gating. 😃
573F185B-039C-41B5-B1D7-830F51E664EC.jpeg
B38088B2-1FEA-48FA-B728-A7D2276D67F3.jpeg

R1S storage usage reference
72023DE8-A511-45DD-9217-2E1D11B6AB57.jpeg

18F94AB3-41A1-460F-9BD0-B29F1F253C93.jpeg
900077CE-D41F-4797-BB33-A9CB2AD9DF09.jpeg
E84432B7-5DD8-494F-BB15-77C48ADCA65A.jpeg

I hope people remember to clean the dust and grime off the front bumper before using that "frunking" seat insert on the Gravity. Not an option I will be buying.

I am advocating for those of us whom bought in 2022 at full price with the simple wishes of having the best tech and supporting Lucid to succeed. Then we all got hair cuts when they gave discount after discounts. But still no regrets! I wonder who here paid the $154K for the GT.

I did.

I was on the fence and unable to make the 5.5-hour drive to NJ for a test drive until later in June, so I took the hit. It's a bit rough to see the price folks are paying now, but I got to drive the car for more than a year before the newbies, joined the Forum and have learned a whole lot. Actually, experiencing the serious hiccups with the early software has given me an appreciation for what we have (not that I don't want more), and I hope it keeps evolving. I've been impressed with the service that has fixed any of the early "issues", particularly when there has been a major issue with an OTA. (Having the Mobile Service parked in my driveway for an entire afternoon as they tore out my trunk to access the data port and have the California Software team troubleshoot an issue, then have a fix installed before I woke up the next morning is not something I have experienced from other car companies.) I just figure maybe I am "supporting" LUCID's future a bit more than other folks!

"Throttle House" had one of their 6'6" staffers sit in the third row of the Gravity, and Lucid had a 6'10" fella sit back there. The taller guy said he fit, but he was obviously a bit cramped. However, the 6'6" guy seemed to fit comfortably in both the headroom and legroom department, albeit probably with the second row seats moved a bit forward. I've seen no similar demonstrations with the R1S third row.

Descriptions of rear seat room and comfort in written and even video reviews can be notoriously misleading. (This applies even to supposedly objective claims, such as a video I once saw that claimed the new Tesla Model S redesign created a roomier rear seat than in a Lucid Air. I put a tape measure on both our Model S and our Air, and the Air had 9.5" more rear legroom than the Tesla and virtually identical drops to the floor.) If third-row room for adults is a real issue for a buyer, there is no substitute for checking out the vehicle in person before committing to an order.

I have moved 7 adults in my R1S. I saw the third row can fit two 5’10” adult comfortably, but the 2nd row have to slide 3 inches forward to yield to leg space for 3rd row seats passenger. I’ve seen YouTube fit 6’2” adult. It is definitely more space and comfort than Model-X. I hope Gravity can come to Houston Auto Show in January for me to try out in person.

Back