Lucid Party @ Gravity Reveal-LA AutoShow November, 2023?

Looks really nice to me. A few things that stuck out:
  1. Did they give up on whatever extended capabilities they implied but didn't actually promise for DreamDrive Pro?
  2. Square steering wheel, a la C8 Corvette
  3. Nothing flagrantly shiny on the dash to reflect on the windshield!
  4. They managed to make an aerodynamic shape that doesn't look like a jellybean (like EQS SUV)
  5. Surprisingly narrow at 78.7 inches including mirrors! Which will make it that much easier to fit in regular garages.
Looks like a solid X7/GLS/RR competitor to me...
Just for context, see width with mirrors. Again, Lucid are masters of packaging!
  • Gravity = 78.7"
  • R1S = 87.1"
  • EQS SUV = 84.9"
  • Model X = 89.4"
  • X5 & X7 = 87.3"
  • GLE & GLS = 84.9"

Yosemite is slightly lighter than Santa Monica, very beige. Tahoe is the same.

Actually, no - the software is rewritten from scratch, and the car was redesigned from a napkin. I was extremely impressed. I can’t say much more, but suffice it to say that the Airs all use a chipset from “when the car was designed” aka >5 years before the first delivery. The sapphire has an updated chip.

The gravity is brand new, and has way more capabilities thanks to a whole new hardware and software subsystem, but I can’t say anything else.

Here are a bunch of photos I took today: https://share.icloud.com/photos/002peO_BpP_PWlyMupZdWUIow

You’ll spy a few shots of @LucidDropkick sitting in the 2nd and 3rd rows
My goodness, that infotainment is gorgeous! I really hope that the rest of the fleet gets some semblance of that if/when 3.0 is rolled out.

Reactions: DBV
Yosemite is slightly lighter than Santa Monica, very beige. Tahoe is the same.

Meaning the Tahoe in the Gravity is different from the Tahoe I saw in an Air at the Design Studio?

Actually, no - the software is rewritten from scratch . . . .

Thanks for this information. However, I'm not sure it increases my confidence in the early software for the Gravity.

And I'm willing to bet not all of the 120 kWh is usable.

The 118-kWh pack that used Samsung 2170 cells did not have an upper buffer, as the cells were optimized insofar as then-current chemistry allowed for fast charging to full capacity. The Gravity will use a newer generation of Samsung cells.

Any word on rear axle steering? That will be the one thing we will really miss from our EQS.

You don't have to say it; I will. I am still firm in my belief that the Gravity will be one of the 1st, if not the 1st car to debut CarPlay 2.0.

It’s blasphemy in the name of Android Auto Thursday. 😤

The 118-kWh pack that used Samsung 2170 cells did not have an upper buffer, as the cells were optimized insofar as then-current chemistry allowed for fast charging to full capacity. The Gravity will use a newer generation of Samsung cells.
I assume there is a lower buffer then. Or maybe 0% SoCD is not 0% SoC, leaving a couple kWh in case someone tries to run it close.

I assume there is a lower buffer then.
Could be. The Lucid engineer in the interview only mentioned the lack of an upper buffer and only in the Samsung pack, not the LG Chem pack.

No like, how do you get to know about that in the first place?
first step: buy a car

does that mean they plan on doing a major internal update of the air in the near future so that both will have same/similar hardware and software subsystems? would be weird and inefficient to continue down two separate hardware and software paths right?
No idea what’s in store for future models

Any word on rear axle steering? That will be the one thing we will really miss from our EQS.
Frankly, at Gravity's overall length of 198.2", I don't think that there is need for rear axle steering. It only adds complexity for complexity's sake. The extra sub-systems and controls exponentially increase the likelihood of failure and repair costs. However, consider the future Escalade IQ at 224.3"! (will probably also have less interior space than Gravity). Here, rear axle steering makes more sense.

This is the move.

1700177264766.png

Frankly, at Gravity's overall length of 198.2", I don't think that there is need for rear axle steering. It only adds complexity for complexity's sake. The extra sub-systems and controls exponentially increase the likelihood of failure and repair costs. However, consider the future Escalade IQ at 224.3"! (will probably also have less interior space than Gravity). Here, rear axle steering makes more sense.
But it does have it, thats confirmed..

Uh, it’s a figure of speech lol. The gravity was designed from scratch. It doesn’t use the same platform as the Air, but it does use all the learnings from it.

Simple: I was asked not to. And given that I would like to continue being invited to things sometimes, I don’t plan on burning any bridges. :)
Omg. You are an insider!!

Our EQS SUV is the same length and the rear axle steering is a really nice upgrade. So easy to park and maneuver around tight spots. Considering the Gravity has a longer wheel base, it may be more necessary.

Omg. You are an insider!!
🤷‍♂️

I own the car, love talking to people, and am very frank about the things I love and hate about it.

I don’t know what an “insider” is but if it means I get to play with stuff and hack on stuff and break stuff and enjoy new things then call me anything you want lol

🤷‍♂️

I own the car, love talking to people, and am very frank about the things I love and hate about it.

I don’t know what an “insider” is but if it means I get to play with stuff and hack on stuff and break stuff and enjoy new things then call me anything you want lol
It basically means you have inside information about something, which you do!

Back