Lucid Motors Unveils Plan For Three Affordable EVs To Challenge Tesla

The GV60 lets you do that. I do it all the time. I also no longer carry the fob as I use my phone as my key. So it works so long as the phone acting as a key is in the vicinity. And before someone asks, I don't entirely trust my phone so I also carry a keycard in an RFID sleeve in my wallet and there is also a eyeball reader, finger print reader system which I have tested and can also use as a backup.
The Ioniq 5 and EV6 do not.

My guess is one will be an off-road variant, think Rivian challenger. The other will be more tailored to street driving to challenge the model y. Both of which will be missive SUVs. The third I'm guessing is the Truck that was leaked a while back. With the Air sales lagging, I doubt they will put more resources towards a sedan, but I could be wrong. I would love to see a midsize convertible sporty sedan or coupe.

The annoying thing is you cannot lock ioniq 5, ev 6, gv60 like that.
That's how I lock my @xponents said the key has to be nearby - I always have it in my pocket.

When I said I forget, I mean forgetting to press on the door, in which case I need to fish out the fob from my pocket or walk back to the car

That's how I lock my @xponents said the key has to be nearby - I always have it in my pocket.

When I said I forget, I mean forgetting to press on the door, in which case I need to fish out the fob from my pocket or walk back to the car
The lock button next on the driver side door does not lock ioniq 5 as it does in every other car. It wants you to use the fob or the app to lock.

My guess is one will be an off-road variant, think Rivian challenger. The other will be more tailored to street driving to challenge the model y. Both of which will be missive SUVs. The third I'm guessing is the Truck that was leaked a while back. With the Air sales lagging, I doubt they will put more resources towards a sedan, but I could be wrong. I would love to see a midsize convertible sporty sedan or coupe.
They have repeatedly mentioned a Model Y and a Model 3 competitor. The third one will be a sedan.

Peter is on the record many times as saying EV trucks make no sense at the current state of the art.

2 of the best selling cars in the world. I don’t see them ever having issues selling their cars.
Tesla now has the highest retention rate in the automotive industry, estimated to be at a sky-high 87%.
Like him or not…
Elon is a genius.
No reply needed.
I’ll reply anyway, Elon is not a genius, he is a good entrepreneur. It’s the engineers who are smart. If he was a genius, why would he say robotaxis will be here in 2018? 6 years in NOTHING! He is half a decade off and still nowhere close. That’s called a conman, not a genius.

ugh okay fine it doesn't work that way for the Ioniq 5

nobody can tell me otherwise because I have one. :P

The lock button next on the driver side door does not lock ioniq 5 as it does in every other car. It wants you to use the fob or the app to lock.

ugh okay fine it doesn't work that way for the Ioniq 5

nobody can tell me otherwise because I have one. :P
One more difference between I-5 and EV6 I guess. Makes me extra glad I got the Kia 🤪

One more difference between I-5 and EV6 I guess. Makes me extra glad I got the Kia 🤪
IMO, the better of the two. The great thing about Hyundai/Kia is that with their similar vehicle lines, people can choose what appeals to their taste more!

Interesting. I wonder why only Kia decided to do this. My wife and I felt that ioniq 5 had more head room and better visibility and easier to load cargo. I hope Hyundai will do it as a software update.

Interesting. I wonder why only Kia decided to do this. My wife and I felt that ioniq 5 had more head room and better visibility and easier to load cargo. I hope Hyundai will do it as a software update.
Totally agreed that the IONIQ 5 is more practical for taller people or carrying cargo

And I want to be clear that it isn’t perfect; because I don’t drive it daily, it annoys the heck out of me in a bunch of tiny ways - the biggest one being that I-pedal is a thing I have to set every time I drive and you can’t set it to that by default, so you’re always in the wrong regen mode. Not a safety issue (lol), but very annoying.
Testing it made me appreciate the Lucid a lot more, because ergonomics wasn't the strong point of the EV6 or the Iconiq 6. I suppose you get used to whatever you drive, but there are so many things that drivers might typically set once or that don't seem needed that Lucid got right. The salesman said that the regen paddles are a feature that people really like. If it's true, it's likely because when it's set wrong, it gives them an easy way to correct it. But it shouldn't be wrong in the first place.

Getting in the car on a hot day, needing to press a start button, and then having it blow hot air because the start button should have been pressed a second time might not have been a problem for somebody with experience, but in the past decade I never once found myself thinking that I wished I had a start button. Ultimately, not finding a comfortable steering wheel position was the killer. And it might have been ignorance on the salesman's part because when the steering wheel didn't tilt, the salesman said that it doesn't do that. (It wasn't the trim my father was looking to buy so I didn't question it but in retrospect I think he was wrong.) Regardless, it apparently didn't have memories/easy entry for the steering wheel.

We ended up going to Tesla to try the Y, which I didn't expect him to like, and he didn't like the ride. But the salesman gave him a Model X to take home for the night and he ended up liking it. He hasn't bought it yet and if he's going to spend that much, the Gravity would likely make more sense except that it's not here yet. The Model X still lacks some things that Tesla should have added long ago, like a better blind spot indicator, rear cross traffic alert/braking and so forth, but it will automatically lower the suspension when he gets home, making it practical to get in and out of for my mother, which might be the biggest concern right now. It might end up being the best compromise. As much as he dislikes Musk, he's not going to punish himself to get back at Elon.

Testing it made me appreciate the Lucid a lot more, because ergonomics wasn't the strong point of the EV6 or the Iconiq 6. I suppose you get used to whatever you drive, but there are so many things that drivers might typically set once or that don't seem needed that Lucid got right. The salesman said that the regen paddles are a feature that people really like. If it's true, it's likely because when it's set wrong, it gives them an easy way to correct it. But it shouldn't be wrong in the first place.

Getting in the car on a hot day, needing to press a start button, and then having it blow hot air because the start button should have been pressed a second time might not have been a problem for somebody with experience, but in the past decade I never once found myself thinking that I wished I had a start button. Ultimately, not finding a comfortable steering wheel position was the killer. And it might have been ignorance on the salesman's part because when the steering wheel didn't tilt, the salesman said that it doesn't do that. (It wasn't the trim my father was looking to buy so I didn't question it but in retrospect I think he was wrong.) Regardless, it apparently didn't have memories/easy entry for the steering wheel.

We ended up going to Tesla to try the Y, which I didn't expect him to like, and he didn't like the ride. But the salesman gave him a Model X to take home for the night and he ended up liking it. He hasn't bought it yet and if he's going to spend that much, the Gravity would likely make more sense except that it's not here yet. The Model X still lacks some things that Tesla should have added long ago, like a better blind spot indicator, rear cross traffic alert/braking and so forth, but it will automatically lower the suspension when he gets home, making it practical to get in and out of for my mother, which might be the biggest concern right now. It might end up being the best compromise. As much as he dislikes Musk, he's not going to punish himself to get back at Elon.
Have your dad check out the Genesis GV60P. It does have a start button but you only have to press it to turn on the car. The AC, etc. will start up as you left it. I got my GV60P when my left hip was badly in need of replacement and it was at an excellent height for getting in and out (I am 5'7") and has easy entry/easy exit that includes moving the steering wheel. It has excellent blind spot indicators. etc., a headup display, nappa leather seating, ultrasuede headliner, etc. It might meet the needs of your Mom and Dad and would not force them to buy a Tesla and would be less expensive than an X. The only downside is that it is small (but wide and for me that is a positive; I prefer a smaller vehicle that is easier to maneuver).

The GV60, like the Tesla, was designed from the ground up as an electric vehicle. Genesis also has an electrified GV70 that uses the same power train but is slightly larger. But it is an electrified version of the regular ICE vehicle.

Both cars have gotten excellent reviews.

The only EV SUV that CR rated higher than the GV60 (and only slightly higher) was the BMW IX. This is an excellent vehicle. It is larger than I prefer but the biggest problem, to me, is that I couldn't get over the looks. But if that is not a problem for you and your parents, then the BMW IX is an alternative as well.

Have your dad check out the Genesis GV60P. It does have a start button but you only have to press it to turn on the car. The AC, etc. will start up as you left it. I got my GV60P when my left hip was badly in need of replacement and it was at an excellent height for getting in and out (I am 5'7") and has easy entry/easy exit that includes moving the steering wheel. It has excellent blind spot indicators. etc., a headup display, nappa leather seating, ultrasuede headliner, etc. It might meet the needs of your Mom and Dad and would not force them to buy a Tesla and would be less expensive than an X. The only downside is that it is small (but wide and for me that is a positive; I prefer a smaller vehicle that is easier to maneuver).

The GV60, like the Tesla, was designed from the ground up as an electric vehicle. Genesis also has an electrified GV70 that uses the same power train but is slightly larger. But it is an electrified version of the regular ICE vehicle.

Both cars have gotten excellent reviews.

The only EV SUV that CR rated higher than the GV60 (and only slightly higher) was the BMW IX. This is an excellent vehicle. It is larger than I prefer but the biggest problem, to me, is that I couldn't get over the looks. But if that is not a problem for you and your parents, then the BMW IX is an alternative as well.
I thought that the GV60 is way more efficient than the BMW IX and also charges much faster. My wife actually liked the shape of GV60 but the top of the line did not have RWD version which has more range than AWD version. Edmunds real world test did better than EPA for BMW IX and yet the efficiency was 3.1miles per kWh. My wife's ionq 5 RWD Limited get her easily 3.7 mlies per kWh on highway at 70mph and 4.7 in city plus hwy mix. Also top of the line BMW IX costs 20k more than top of the line GV60. Finally BMW IX can charge at max 150kW. GV60 is way better in all the metrics. That said, those who are BMW fans will buy BMW IX and not GV60.

The only thing with Genesis is that their resale value is horrific. I had a really hard time selling my electrified GV80 when it was time for my Lucid. I had some dealers refuse to even give me a price because they felt they’d never be able to sell it, except to wholesale it out. One dealer who specialized in high end cars, after perusing his computer to see what was doing at Genesis dealers across the country, said he couldn’t even give me an offer. He showed me how many new Genesis EVs there were on dealer’s lots across the country. There were many. He went on to say, after 25 years in the business, he never encountered such a horrific used car market like the Genesis. His usual markets had no interest.

If you plan on holding on to your car for years, that’s one thing, but if you’re the kind of person (like me) who’s in & out of cars in 2-3 years, I’d say stay away from Genesis. I got burned, badly.

The only thing with Genesis is that their resale value is horrific. I had a really hard time selling my electrified GV80 when it was time for my Lucid. I had some dealers refuse to even give me a price because they felt they’d never be able to sell it, except to wholesale it out. One dealer who specialized in high end cars, after perusing his computer to see what was doing at Genesis dealers across the country, said he couldn’t even give me an offer. He showed me how many new Genesis EVs there were on dealer’s lots across the country. There were many. He went on to say, after 25 years in the business, he never encountered such a horrific used car market like the Genesis. His usual markets had no interest.

If you plan on holding on to your car for years, that’s one thing, but if you’re the kind of person (like me) who’s in & out of cars in 2-3 years, I’d say stay away from Genesis. I got burned, badly.
That’s why leasing is best for EVs , unless you want to keep the car 6-8 years

having it blow hot air because the start button should have been pressed a second time might not have been a problem for somebody with experience
Brake pedal plus start is the shortcut here.

, but in the past decade I never once found myself thinking that I wished I had a start button. Ultimately, not finding a comfortable steering wheel position was the killer. And it might have been ignorance on the salesman's part because when the steering wheel didn't tilt, the salesman said that it doesn't do that. (It wasn't the trim my father was looking to buy so I didn't question it but in retrospect I think he was wrong.) Regardless, it apparently didn't have memories/easy entry for the steering wheel.
This is coming in the 2025 refresh, but yeah for a car at that price point maybe it should have been in sooner. FWIW BMW had the same problem, i5 got this from the beginning but not i4

Yeah, their new sales is one tenth that of Kia and Hyundai E-GMP stablemates, and people in the Genesis forums seem to have anecdotally a poorer service experience (probably a factor of higher expectations / less familiarity with the car because it's so rare).

I used to plan to step up to the Genesis but am increasingly planning to just skip it to go straight to either Lucid or BMW instead

Brake pedal plus start is the shortcut here.
Yeah, but you’ve gotta remember to do that. And I don’t, lol.

Don’t get me started on it not automatically locking when you walk away, *especially* because it does unlock when you walk up. The number of times my wife has left the car unlocked in random places is high enough that I now have a Home Assistant automation for it lol.

Back