Lucid Home Charger vs ChargePoint

Sort of. It actually can only “officially” output 48kW under code. There’s a bit of a situation when trying to do 50kW where Chargepoint will not tell an electrician they can do that.
Huh? If you hardwire and have the right wire gauge and the right breaker (70-80A), 50A should be fine. That said, 2A is not a significant difference heh

Huh? If you hardwire and have the right wire gauge and the right breaker (70-80A), 50A should be fine. That said, 2A is not a significant difference heh
I think it had something to do with the required gauges and breakers to ensure the 30% overhead was there and a fire couldn’t start. Honestly, it feels like forever ago. There’s documentation Chargepoint doesn’t include in the box for electricians when hooking the box up. When calling them, they actually avoid saying the device will support 50A because of regulations. It was an interesting situation. It basically won’t pass an inspection hooked up that way. Doesn’t mean you can’t though.

/me not an electrician

I think it had something to do with the required gauges and breakers to ensure the 30% overhead was there and a fire couldn’t start. Honestly, it feels like forever ago. There’s documentation Chargepoint doesn’t include in the box for electricians when hooking the box up. When calling them, they actually avoid saying the device will support 50A because of regulations. It was an interesting situation. It basically won’t pass an inspection hooked up that way. Doesn’t mean you can’t though.

/me not an electrician
Interesting!

The positive about the Chargepoint is being the same amperage as the Lucid cable (14-50) and plug. I ended up hardwiring my charger and T-tapped a plug ahead of it just in case of a failure. Can use the car cable if that happens with the plug.

Attachments

• IMG_0635 (2).jpg
    IMG_0635 (2).jpg
    630.2 KB · Views: 97
The positive about the Chargepoint is being the same amperage as the Lucid cable (14-50) and plug. I ended up hardwiring my charger and T-tapped a plug ahead of it just in case of a failure. Can use the car cable if that happens with the plug.
?? The Chargepoint can charge at 48A if set for a 60A breaker, Lucid's cable will pull a maximum of 40A.

?? The Chargepoint can charge at 48A if set for a 60A breaker, Lucid's cable will pull a maximum of 40A.
He is talking about the Lucid mobile charger, not the Lucid Home charger

Lucid’s non mobile charger will pull 80As. All bidirectional level 2 chargers pull 80A for the most part. It’s one of the perks paying more for this charger next to V2L.
Right, I said 40A for Lucid's mobile cable.

You can set the Chargepoint for the amperage you prefer. Hardwired at 60 or plug-in at 50 for breaker size. I set at 50 so that charger and plug would be covered. Didn't need the extra amperage even though I hardwired.

Doesn't the wunderbox "upscale" the charge even on a home charge point flex unit? I went to a lucid demo at they plugged in the car to a 50kw EA charger, then did the same with a 150kw EA charger and I was amazed to see the speed of the charge was pretty much the same either way because of the what I perceived as upscaling of the wunderbox doing its job? Is that what current owners are finding to be true?

Doesn't the wunderbox "upscale" the charge even on a home charge point flex unit? I went to a lucid demo at they plugged in the car to a 50kw EA charger, then did the same with a 150kw EA charger and I was amazed to see the speed of the charge was pretty much the same either way because of the what I perceived as upscaling of the wunderbox doing its job? Is that what current owners are finding to be true?
Not sure what you were seeing, but the Wunderbox can't create power, only transform voltage. A 6.6kW home charger will deliver 6.6kW to the car. A 19.6kW installation will deliver 19.6kW.

Lucid's cars are capable of operating on a legacy (obsolete) 400V CCS fast charger through Wunderbox DC-DC voltage conversion, to adjust the incoming voltage to match the car's 750V (Pure and Touring) or 920V (GT, Dream, Sapphire). But it can only pull 50kW maximum from such a station.

Last edited:
No this is not true. The wonder box can take 80A of AC power and convert it to DC to charge at up to 19.2kw. It can boost lower DC voltages to charge at older dc chargers, but this does not change how much power is coming into the car. Lucid tech talk link

I think you are mixing two different types of charging, level 2 home charging and level 3 DC fast charging.

Level 2 home charging with Chargepoint Flex or Lucid Home charger are AC 240V chargers. The Wunderbox does a voltage boost to the 900 V battery and also does and AC to DC conversion to charge the battery. For Lucid, the Wunderbox is limited to 19.2kW (80A at 240V). The charge rate will scale fairly linearly with the input current.

Level 3 DC fast chargers like EA (1000V CCS) do not require the Wunderbox to boost voltage or convert AC to DC. The power is limited by how much current the battery can take. If the battery SOC is over 80%, there will not be much difference between a 50kW and a 150kW station. At lower SOC, the charge rate of the 150kW stations will be much greater than the 50kW station.

One quick correction and one additional feature that makes the Lucid charger make more sense:

* The Chargepoint flex is capable of 80A provided that the electrician installs the correct gauge wire. I think it’s 3 gauge but could be wrong.
* The Lucid charger enables V2G, which isn’t implemented yet and would require additional home equipment but can be a valuable feature.
Is the current charger capable of the bi-directional charging (when it happens?)

I have a Chargepoint already hooked up, and will make the change if it does... or I will make the change if anyone can make a good argument as to why I should be using the Lucid charger anyway...

I have liked the Chargepoint, for my Tesla and it works just fine now. But is there any other reason I should consider switching over yet?

Thanks!

Is the current charger capable of the bi-directional charging (when it happens?)

I have a Chargepoint already hooked up, and will make the change if it does... or I will make the change if anyone can make a good argument as to why I should be using the Lucid charger anyway...

I have liked the Chargepoint, for my Tesla and it works just fine now. But is there any other reason I should consider switching over yet?

Thanks!
Lucid's current home chargeing station should work for bidirectional charging. But it will need some additional hardware which isn't available yet, and additional installation for that hardware.
I'd keep the Chargepoint at least until more details on that additional hardware are released, and you can get a quote for changing everything over at once. Currently the only advantage the LHCS has over the Chargepoint is an 80-amp charge rate instead of 50 amps, or only 40 amps if not hardwired.

We have the Chargepoint for my wife's EV. It's a friendly easy-to-use unit with a nice connector and relatively lightweight cable.

Yes, it can charge any vehicle that accepts a J1772 plug, which includes Tesla since they have an adapter. No, you won't need to buy a new one.

Correct.

It doesn't. L2 is L2. There is no significant difference in how it affects battery health between 48A and 80A; things change when you are on a DC charger rather than an AC charger and going at 150A+.
Just tried charging my daughter's new Chevt Bolt EUV using my Lucid Charger. The Bolt would not charge. Sigh!

Just tried charging my daughter's new Chevt Bolt EUV using my Lucid Charger. The Bolt would not charge. Sigh!
That's odd and unexpected. It charges our Volvo just fine.

Just want to mention we have an Ionic 6 and the Lucid Home Connected Charger charges it just fine. We have it providing 80A.

Back