Lucid Gravity Pre Production has begun

FA14

Verified Owner
Cars
2023 Lucid Air Pure AWD
Lucid Gravity Pre-Production Has Begun
Yesterday afternoon, fresh out of our state-of-the-art paint shop and resplendent in stunning Infinite Black, the first Lucid Gravity SUV pre-production bodyshell dropped down from the roof conveyor onto the main production line at our factory in Casa Grande, AZ, reaching a significant milestone on our path to full production.

See what our CEO Peter Rawlinson has to say about this incredible milestone in our Road to Lucid Gravity.

Not all EVs are born equal.
Follow us on the Road to Lucid Gravity
Witness history in the making. Come along for the ride as Lucid embarks on the journey to bring the world’s best SUV to market. Join us behind the scenes as we ready the vehicle and our Arizona factory to bring our unprecedented combination of technology, efficiency, and space from concept to your driveway.

Looks like charging port still in same location. Hopefully it will have NACS like what rumors have it from sales people.

Looks like charging port still in same location. Hopefully it will have NACS like what rumors have it from sales people.
What good would NACS do for anyone? Looking at the delays in rolling out the adapters Lucid probably won't even get access to the SC network until mid 2026. Seems like choosing one adapter over another is a wash.

Can't speak for the mass but for me personally would be easier to transition to Lucid since I am a current Tesla owner. I rather not get an adapter for my already home charger. Plus supercharger locations are better placed imo and far more available and reliable.

Can't speak for the mass but for me personally would be easier to transition to Lucid since I am a current Tesla owner. I rather not get an adapter for my already home charger. Plus supercharger locations are better placed imo and far more available and reliable.
But with NACS you'd be looking at 50kW charging, possibly forever if waiting for Tesla to install 1000V V4 power cabinets, unless you bought a CCS to NACS adapter and went to one of the other charging vendors.

Oh I wasn't aware it would be limited. That's a bummer then!
We know the Air is limited to 50kW at a low voltage charger like Tesla but the limit may be different for Gravity. When I asked Eric Bach about this at the LA Auto Show he told me that Lucid did not trust Tesla to increase voltage and that no decision had been made on increasing the DC to DC boost capability beyond 50kW.

We know the Air is limited to 50kW at a low voltage charger like Tesla but the limit may be different for Gravity. When I asked Eric Bach about this at the LA Auto Show he told me that Lucid did not trust Tesla to increase voltage and that no decision had been made on increasing the DC to DC boost capability beyond 50kW.

GM does it with a switch, changing half the battery pack from series to parallel when on a lower voltage DCFC. The Cybertruck does something very similar. I would not be surprised of the Gravity takes a similar approach. Time will tell.

GM does it with a switch, changing half the battery pack from series to parallel when on a lower voltage DCFC. The Cybertruck does something very similar. I would not be surprised of the Gravity takes a similar approach. Time will tell.
I wouldn’t bet my house on that. Lucid has made it pretty clear that they don’t compromise for old technology. Peter has always been very vocal when it comes to chargers saying “we have a standard, it’s 1000v”.

Time will tell indeed……

Unless you use public chargers for daily charging, the few times that you would use a supercharger does for trips does not provide that significant a benefit. And usually you have a CCS nearby anyway. You can always use an adaptor for those rare occasions. No point waiting...just get the car if you want it.

GM has a 400V drive train and and switch the battery to allow faster charging at 800V. No Lucid will not be doing this.

GM has a 400V drive train and and switch the battery to allow faster charging at 800V. No Lucid will not be doing this.

Agree Lucid won't go to a 400V drive train, but there are better ways to maintain a decent charging speed than a 50 kW DC to DC converter. I think Hyundai uses the motor windings to achieve good speed on 400V chargers. 50 kW is unacceptable IMO.

What good would NACS do for anyone? Looking at the delays in rolling out the adapters Lucid probably won't even get access to the SC network until mid 2026. Seems like choosing one adapter over another is a wash.
If buying, I would only want NACS. I would not buy an EV going forward without it in North America. I would do a short term lease, but prefer to have NACS. Hope Lucid does that on that Gravity.

If buying, I would only want NACS. I would not buy an EV going forward without it in North America. I would do a short term lease, but prefer to have NACS. Hope Lucid does that on that Gravity.
You’ll have NACS, through an adapter, either way.

I guess I'm weird that I'd want something i could use immediately compared to something I'll never know when it's coming.

I guess I'm weird that I'd want something i could use immediately compared to something I'll never know when it's coming.
I think the right time for insisting on a NACS port on a new 800+ volt car is at least a couple years from now.

Last edited:
You’ll have NACS, through an adapter, either way.
Also, there has been one thing bugging me throughout this whole rollout that nobody seems to mention: Every 1000v V4 Supercharger will have CCS built in.

If CCS is built into the actually "usable" superchargers, and we have an adapter if we need to charge at a 50 kwh supercharger (in the rare case of an emergency), why is there such an urgent need for NACS?

Along with the shitshow Elon is producing over at the supercharger division, it makes sense why the Gravity would not have NACS. This would also explain why the 2025 Air doesn't have NACS, as it was previously planned that all 2025 MY Lucids would have NACS. However, although I agree with Lucid in that CCS is the way to go for now, I do still think the charger placement should be changed for better. Moving it near the rear would make it compatible with pretty much every existing charger, although an accident involving the rear (which I believe is more common than side-impact collisions) could be more expensive to repair.

Back