Lucid future and possible consequences

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remember that Elon Tweeted that for $420 he will take the company private with funding from Saudi Arabia which decided instead to see the light and fund Lucid? I guess Elon has been itching to get back at Lucid even more because he is grudgingly admitting that he should not have removed the sensors but added more for even reliable ADAS Level 2. I am rooting for Model Y killer to sell in enough volumes to hit Elon reallly hard. Apparently the demand in China fell and he cut production there already. Hope GM equinox totally destroys Tesla in the low end market all over the world at $30k MSRP 300 miles.
It’s purely anecdotal to use anything that Musk says to support any form of a point. Musks words hold as much value as any rando on Reddit in this context.

This forum, with a couple of exceptions, is clearly not familiar with the Saudis and how they handle vanity projects. The PIF may take Lucid private, which would suck for shareholders, but that would not make a material difference to vehicle owners.

Relax, enjoy the best car currently being made, and let the market do what the market will.

Unlike some, I have huge respect for Elon Musk. Every thing he's touched has turned to gold. If that's not genius, then I don't know what is. He touts Tesla as the best thing since sliced bread; he's supposed to, that's his job. If not for Tesla, we wouldn't have Lucid; it's that simple. Peter Rawlinson learned a LOT working on the Model S and is using that knowledge on the Lucid. You can be sure that someone will use Lucid as the benchmark for a future automobile. Respect and like are two different things. Think Steve Jobs and Bill Gates. Give them all their due because we benefit from their achievements.

I posted this in another thread that wound up getting closed out, so there was little time for comment. This was what I posted:

I know this is not a subject that most want to discuss here, but nonetheless I think it's important, especially for owners and those that have cars on order.

In a scenario nobody hopes occurs and many don't expect to occur, what happens if Lucid doesn't survive? How do cars get serviced? This is obviously a real concern for owners as well as prospective owners. I've never owned a car where such a scenario has occurred, so these are uncharted waters. I'm not even greatly concerned about resale value, but rather keeping an orphaned car on the road.

I'm just trying to get a feel for what people think.

I posted this in another thread that wound up getting closed out, so there was little time for comment. This was what I posted:

I know this is not a subject that most want to discuss here, but nonetheless I think it's important, especially for owners and those that have cars on order.

In a scenario nobody hopes occurs and many don't expect to occur, what happens if Lucid doesn't survive? How do cars get serviced? This is obviously a real concern for owners as well as prospective owners. I've never owned a car where such a scenario has occurred, so these are uncharted waters. I'm not even greatly concerned about resale value, but rather keeping an orphaned car on the road.

Speculation and constant doomsday scenarios from people who no facts to back up their theories are a waste of time. They also become self-fulfilling as we scare the bejeezus out of people who haven’t yet received their cars.

They also make visiting the forum extremely unpleasant for the majority of us.

There. That’s what I think. 😀

All kidding aside, we have no control over the future of Lucid. Drive the car, have fun. Get some popcorn and watch the show.

I get people are worried, and layoffs are never easy. But literally hundreds of companies have done massive layoffs in just the past few months. Tens of thousands of employees let go. Does anyone think Google or Facebook are going bankrupt anytime soon?

If you’re looking for confirmation that Lucid is doomed, you won’t get it. Because that’s unknowable. If you’re looking for assurance Lucid isn’t doomed, you won’t get that either. Because that’s unknowable.

What I think is that is very unlikely to happen.

Not that it absolutely couldn't but I think my chances of totaling my Lucid in a highway accident are much higher and I don't let that stop me from driving it. One can choose to avoid the possibility of a bad outcome and, thereby rob themselves of the benefit (and sheer pleasure) of owning and driving this car, or you can take a calculated risk (which you do every day when you get out of bed) and enjoy it :).

I get people are worried, and layoffs are never easy. But literally hundreds of companies have done massive layoffs in just the past few months. Tens of thousands of employees let go. Does anyone think Google or Facebook are going bankrupt anytime soon?

From a cold-hearted strictly business perspective, layoffs are a good thing. They are a cost-reduction technique which only improves the bottom line.

From a cold-hearted strictly business perspective, layoffs are a good thing. They are a cost-reduction technique which only improves the bottom line.
Yes. I’d be more worried if Peter Rawlinson were sitting in a burning room, saying “This is fine.”

This forum, with a couple of exceptions, is clearly not familiar with the Saudis and how they handle vanity projects. The PIF may take Lucid private, which would suck for shareholders, but that would not make a material difference to vehicle owners.

Relax, enjoy the best car currently being made, and let the market do what the market will.
Yes. This car will stand on its own merit. I am not concerned about service. PIF will not back off.

Enjoy the ride/performance for it is indeed superb. More s/w updates now with fewer hiccups. IMO, there really isn't anything else like it. Enjoying lots of compliments from envious people. That about sums up my experience so far.

Give it some time. There are many tech layoffs right now (Amazon, Meta, Twitter, Twilio, Microsoft, Yahoo, GotHub, Zoom, Dell, PayPal, IBM, Google, Salesforce, etc.)

These are real people with families losing jobs. Right now, I'm hoping they all land on their feet. Focus on them, not yourself.

Speculation and constant doomsday scenarios from people who no facts to back up their theories are a waste of time. They also become self-fulfilling as we scare the bejeezus out of people who haven’t yet received their cars.

All kidding aside, we have no control over the future of Lucid. Drive the car, have fun. Get some popcorn and watch the show.

If you’re looking for confirmation that Lucid is doomed, you won’t get it. Because that’s unknowable. If you’re looking for assurance Lucid isn’t doomed, you won’t get that either. Because that’s unknowable.
Yes, but for the (28,000?) people who have reserved and not closed, this is an open business transaction that begs for due diligence. Of course the future is unknowable, but the wise person gathers the most info available and decides if the reward is worth the risk.

Im in that camp and trying to assess whether the layoff of 18% of the workforce suggests a much greater risk to me than buggy software or even a turtle breakdown. If I already owned the car I’d of course take your advice and just enjoy the car.

And btw your “no facts” hypothesis is a little off. There are lots of facts—-big layoff, declining order book, admitted lack of cash by YE, no SUV for at least a year, nasty interest rates, more EV competition…..you get it…

Give it some time. There are many tech layoffs right now (Amazon, Meta, Twitter, Twilio, Microsoft, Yahoo, GotHub, Zoom, Dell, PayPal, IBM, Google, Salesforce, etc.)

These are real people with families losing jobs. Right now, I'm hoping they all land on their feet. Focus on them, not yourself.
Which is why about an hour ago I called my local Studio to see how everyone there was doing. Fortunately it seems they're all fine. The lady I spoke with was amazed that anyone would call to express concern.

Having worked in industrial and financial industries my whole career, I get more worried about companies that don't confront challenging conditions with hard actions than those that do.

Lucid has been hit by almost every whammy in the book while taking on one of the most daunting tasks in industry: starting up a new car company. They've been hit by Covid-driven supply chain disruptions, high inflation, climbing interest rates, stock market pullbacks, a flagging car market.

Yet they've won one prestigious automotive award after another, beaten the field at events such as the Goodwood Festival of Speed, and received widespread acclaim for cutting-edge EV technology.

Lucid's financial travails right now don't look too different from Tesla's in its first years on the market when it was constantly talked about as a bankruptcy in the making. We're going to know a lot more about Lucid's future when the SUV hits the market. Meanwhile, I'm intending to replace our wrecked Air Dream with another and next year replace our trusty Honda Odyssey with a Gravity.

And yesterday I took the buying opportunity to pick up several thousand more shares of Lucid stock.

Honestly, I don’t understand the reaction and think you pose a fair question that deserves an answer.

I am going to go ahead with my Rivian purchase. In my opinion, Rivian is in a far more precarious position and has lost almost all of their major backers. Lucid has the backing of the PIF and there is very little evidence that they will walk away. In fact, their recent reinvestment demonstrates the opposite. Lucid’s technology and infrastructure is way too advanced to just disappear. Very worst case scenario, some company would purchase them. I would not let some layoffs influence your decision to buy a car. Every car manufacturer is doing it, so there would be nothing to buy if this was your criteria.

Hope that helps.

So I get most peoples opinions on here, but at the end of the day, Lucid needs to sell cars, that's the goal; they are not doing so in any scalable way; I just read this morning that they cut 2023 production which I cannot believe I missed the initial release. Rivian is under promising and over delivering on their goals even with supply chain hiccups. Believe me, I want them to succeed, I totally get your point @Bobby that tech layoffs are across the board, but initial reports are suggesting Lucid is not selling cars in a meaningful way as we close out Q1, and I'm curious what the group thinks about mfg output?

Rivian is under promising and over delivering on their goals even with supply chain hiccups.

A few weeks ago I canceled my reservation for a Rivian Launch Edition R1S that I made in February 2019. After waiting four years and still not hearing from my "Rivian Guide" more than a year after I was told I would, I just gave up.

I'm not sure what you mean by "over delivering" on their goals . . . unless delivering vehicles was not one of their goals.

Honestly, I'm sort of sick of reading this crap. It's far over exaggerative and doesn't put anything into proper perspective. Many here have echo'ed out the financial headway Lucid actually has. As owners, most of us aren't worried/concerned. Potential owners are freaking themselves out having not owned the product and they're scaring away new customers. F*cking cut this sh*t out. You guys make me anxious and I KNOW everything is fine.

If you want to talk about this stuff, feel free to actually breakdown the financials and cashburn rates. Do NOT just post doom and gloom speculations.

Yes. I’d be more worried if Peter Rawlinson were sitting in a burning room, saying “This is fine.”
We've already seen churn in leadership that lead to deliveries/productions rev up. Change is good for a startup. They're being Agile and cognizant of their needs. I view this move as positive and the ability of the company to pivot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back