Lucid-EA connection failure?

EA has such a long way to go, and IMO additionally throwing in "plug n charge" substantially reduces my chances of having a successful charging session.

@bunnylebowski for posting how to release a stuck cable...had to use procedure on last failed attempt. Huge PITA
I did a lot of thinking about it last night between 3am and about 5am. After this trip we'll plan to leave the Air at home until the problem is fixed. Not worth the risk on a long trip. Would be good to know if this is being actively worked on by Lucid. It's a showstopper.

I did a lot of thinking about it last night between 3am and about 5am. After this trip we'll plan to leave the Air at home until the problem is fixed. Not worth the risk on a long trip. Would be good to know if this is being actively worked on by Lucid. It's a showstopper.
Did you get them to disable plug and charge? That seems to be the issue with all the payment stuff

Anytime I’ve had a charger error with EA (outside of the charging being out of service), I’ve reset the car and it’s started charging. EA sucks sadly, when it works it’s nice! Buttt they are struggling with reliability
Hello, how do you reset the car?

Hello, how do you reset the car?
Simplest way, lock it with the key, move out of range of the fob (roughly 50’) and leave it for 15 min. Others have said 15 seconds, but customer care recommends 15 min so I do that.

@bunnylebowski for posting how to release a stuck cable...had to use procedure on last failed attempt. Huge PITA
Was using phone when posting above while getting iced after PT and it wiped out what was above @bunnylebowski.
At the closest EA, I can only charge at 1 specific station - none of the others accept the lucid. I just tried the next closest and the 2 stations I tried refused to authenticate. Lucid app just told me to unplug and replug. The 2nd station at that location had just finished charging a Hyundai but wouldn't work with the lucid and the cable wouldn't disengage. Fortunately @bunnylebowski had posted how to manually get the car to release the cable.

Totally understand what @DeaneG is saying as this is a giant PITA and gives me charger insecurity. After UX2.0 is rolled out, I think the issue with EA charging (not station uptime but getting a working station to authenticate) will be the most widely experienced issue.

The two times I had difficulty disengaging the charger cable was when the inside panels went blank, despite door being open seemed as though car went to sleep, after reentering the vehicle and screens came back on I was able to disengage charging cable

Again, For all the issues everyone is having with EA you should report the dissatisfaction in the recent owner survey Lucid sent out. You don’t pay $150K for a long range / fast charging car and can’t use it on a road trip because EA is just unreliable.

Customer complaints go nowhere with EA. Maybe companies like Lucid, Ford, Hyundai, etc. tell them enough is enough they may be more inclined to do something. These companies didn’t just get gifted free charging from EA. They would have paid them money for the privilege so EA should step up!

Did you get them to disable plug and charge? That seems to be the issue with all the payment stuff
I haven't tried yet. Maybe half of my failures were that a charge would initiate and then stop after a few seconds. I'm thinking this may not be an authentication problem but don't know.

Again, For all the issues everyone is having with EA you should report the dissatisfaction in the recent owner survey Lucid sent out. You don’t pay $150K for a long range / fast charging car and can’t use it on a road trip because EA is just unreliable.
Yep, I bought the Air pretty much just for its road trip capability. It'll mostly sit at home until the EA issue is resolved. Not sure the issue is on EA's plate - during the hour I was on the phone with EA, other EVs drove up, charged without trouble, and left, using the same charging stalls I (and EA) had tried at 3-4 times each to get to work.

Yep, I bought the Air pretty much just for its road trip capability. It'll mostly sit at home until the EA issue is resolved. Not sure the issue is on EA's plate - during the hour I was on the phone with EA, other EVs drove up, charged without trouble, and left, using the same charging stalls I (and EA) had tried at 3-4 times each to get to work.
Did they use plug and charge?

Did they use plug and charge?
No. Mach-e owner used EA's app to initiate charge after trying and failing with the credit card reader. I believe the Ioniq 5 does not have plug & charge capability so must have been CC or app as well.

The reason I'm not sure it is plug and charge related is that I was able to initiate charges a few times, but they stopped after a few seconds of spooling up.

No. Mach-e owner used EA's app to initiate charge after trying and failing with the credit card reader. I believe the Ioniq 5 does not have plug & charge capability so must have been CC or app as well.

The reason I'm not sure it is plug and charge related is that I was able to initiate charges a few times, but they stopped after a few seconds of spooling up.
Hmm, I'd still have them disable it for now to see if it fixes the issues. Might as well eliminate one thing that is a known issue.

Hmm, I'd still have them disable it for now to see if it fixes the issues. Might as well eliminate one thing that is a known issue.
Agreed that would be the most logical next step - nothing to lose. But after yesterday's charging experience, the most frustrating I have had in 12 years of EV ownership (and with no need for another DCFC session to reach home), I'm inclined to let the car sit in the garage for a while and collect software updates while someone else participates in debugging it. Just not in the mood yet I guess. Probably later.

I do really enjoy the car apart from software glitches. BTW I spent 40+ years in mixed hardware/firmware/software development at startup companies, so have been an actor in this movie several times.

I've tried plug and charge 4 times at two different stations and never gotten it to work. I had some extra time today so called customer care and the explanation I got was that it was station dependent.

Take this entire post for whatever it's worth. I'm just passing along what I was told. I'm somewhat skeptical of it.

His explanation was that some stations separated out the chargers while others did not. So at certain stations, to make sure the correct charger was giving away the free juice to the correct car, you needed the extra step of activating EA on the Lucid App and telling them which charger you were using.

I likened this explanation to some charging locations having a shared meter while others did not. So at some stations, you have to specify the charger ID.

I specifically asked him about the plug and charge toggle that has been mentioned on here. He looked at my account and said everything was set up correctly but that if I was being asked to authenticate at that station, I would always be asked to authenticate at that station. I think this has already been debunked here as people have had varying experiences at the same station.

For the record, it's always worked once I authenticate through the app. I only have one station around me. I've got a few trips coming up and will try again at some other stations.

While I was there, a service guy was there working on the station. I've been to this station a few times over the past few days and usually 4 of the 8 chargers are working. Today, I plugged into one of the two 350kw chargers that hasn't been working and it worked well after I authenticated. Got up to about 200kw which was awesome for me.

Spent most of my time talking to him. He's a subcontractor for EA. Couple of interesting bits of info from him.

1. Their contract says they have to respond within 4 hours of getting a ticket. They have the same contract with EVGo. His observation is EVGo gets the tickets in more quickly so they fix those slightly faster. He specifically said, if EA has a multi charger facility and a few are down, they don't immediately open a ticket.

2. He said EA uses equipment from 3 different companies and they vary in quality. I think he said ABB (not sure) and Signet and I didn't hear the third. He said the ABB seemed to be worse. Of course that's the one by me.

3. 4th gen equipment being installed now seemed to be better.

4. He's an electrician and he said very rarely was the problem electrical. It was usually software related. Either the unit being down b/c of the software or the unit wouldn't connect to a certain kind of care.

5. Hardest thing to troubleshoot was the car connection. Said he'd been called out to a station that wasn't working and he'd see two cars charge no problem and then the third wouldn't. Or vice versa.

6. They have 3 different groups working on it and no one communicates with each other. Subs like him. People from the manufacturer (ABB or Signet), and then EA people. He thinks that's part of the mess. He was actually called out to fix the charger I was using today. He was told ABB had been out there earlier and he assumed they must have fixed it but of course, no one bothered telling his company. Figured while he was there, he'd work on the other 3 but was waiting for them to generate a ticket.

It's no wonder it's such a mess if you've got 3 groups all driving around doing different things to the same equipment.

Agreed that would be the most logical next step - nothing to lose. But after yesterday's charging experience, the most frustrating I have had in 12 years of EV ownership (and with no need for another DCFC session to reach home), I'm inclined to let the car sit in the garage for a while and collect software updates while someone else participates in debugging it. Just not in the mood yet I guess. Probably later.

I do really enjoy the car apart from software glitches. BTW I spent 40+ years in mixed hardware/firmware/software development at startup companies, so have been an actor in this movie several times.
To be fair, you could use any other charging network as well, on a trip.

To be fair, you could use any other charging network as well, on a trip.
Exactly, I will use EVGO, Chargepoint or any other compatible charging station to get me where I'm going as it still will be cheaper than gas!

I've tried plug and charge 4 times at two different stations and never gotten it to work. I had some extra time today so called customer care and the explanation I got was that it was station dependent.

Take this entire post for whatever it's worth. I'm just passing along what I was told. I'm somewhat skeptical of it.

His explanation was that some stations separated out the chargers while others did not. So at certain stations, to make sure the correct charger was giving away the free juice to the correct car, you needed the extra step of activating EA on the Lucid App and telling them which charger you were using.

I likened this explanation to some charging locations having a shared meter while others did not. So at some stations, you have to specify the charger ID.

I specifically asked him about the plug and charge toggle that has been mentioned on here. He looked at my account and said everything was set up correctly but that if I was being asked to authenticate at that station, I would always be asked to authenticate at that station. I think this has already been debunked here as people have had varying experiences at the same station.

For the record, it's always worked once I authenticate through the app. I only have one station around me. I've got a few trips coming up and will try again at some other stations.

While I was there, a service guy was there working on the station. I've been to this station a few times over the past few days and usually 4 of the 8 chargers are working. Today, I plugged into one of the two 350kw chargers that hasn't been working and it worked well after I authenticated. Got up to about 200kw which was awesome for me.

Spent most of my time talking to him. He's a subcontractor for EA. Couple of interesting bits of info from him.

1. Their contract says they have to respond within 4 hours of getting a ticket. They have the same contract with EVGo. His observation is EVGo gets the tickets in more quickly so they fix those slightly faster. He specifically said, if EA has a multi charger facility and a few are down, they don't immediately open a ticket.

2. He said EA uses equipment from 3 different companies and they vary in quality. I think he said ABB (not sure) and Signet and I didn't hear the third. He said the ABB seemed to be worse. Of course that's the one by me.

3. 4th gen equipment being installed now seemed to be better.

4. He's an electrician and he said very rarely was the problem electrical. It was usually software related. Either the unit being down b/c of the software or the unit wouldn't connect to a certain kind of care.

5. Hardest thing to troubleshoot was the car connection. Said he'd been called out to a station that wasn't working and he'd see two cars charge no problem and then the third wouldn't. Or vice versa.

6. They have 3 different groups working on it and no one communicates with each other. Subs like him. People from the manufacturer (ABB or Signet), and then EA people. He thinks that's part of the mess. He was actually called out to fix the charger I was using today. He was told ABB had been out there earlier and he assumed they must have fixed it but of course, no one bothered telling his company. Figured while he was there, he'd work on the other 3 but was waiting for them to generate a ticket.

It's no wonder it's such a mess if you've got 3 groups all driving around doing different things to the same equipment.
This is very informative, thank you. This mirror is my experience exactly. Sometimes I charge no problem while other vehicles can’t, other times I can’t charge at all while everyone else can. This is most pronounced on ABB units. Never had a problem initiating charge on Signet, BUT I’ve had very slow speeds on Signet. Meanwhile if the ABB does work then it charges pretty quick, but other times says “power limited by station” on the car. I have yet to find one DCFC company that is 100% reliable, though EVGo comes close to me, only hiccup is sometimes it won’t initiate with their card so I had to use the app. EVConnect has worked most of the time for me but their chargers are limited to 100kw.

Charged all over FL with EA, never had an issue other than having to wait for a faster charger.

Back