Lucid Connected Home Charging Station

DBordello

Cars
Tesla Model S P100D
DE Number
I received the new Lucid charger today. I am replacing a Tesla charger with 90A service.

Any words of wisdom?
Image.jpeg

How did you get it? Is it available to anyone or just Reservation Holders?

I see, thanks. So it sounds like owners will have invitations to purchase roll-out to them over time.
Appreciate the quick response.

Nice! what is the final price for the unit? thanks

I appreciate the input! I am going to go WiFi for now.

My goal is to not get the job half done and not be able to charge for a few days :)

I don't have compression lugs. We'll see how it goes getting the conductors in the charger.
Are you installing it yourself? You will, without question, require either compression lugs or chair lugs, and make sure to heat shrink it.

I appreciate the input! I am going to go WiFi for now.

My goal is to not get the job half done and not be able to charge for a few days :)

I don't have compression lugs. We'll see how it goes getting the conductors in the charger.
Buy some chair lugs at Home Depot.

Are you installing it yourself? You will, without question, require either compression lugs or chair lugs, and make sure to heat shrink it.
That was my intention. To Home Depot!

Anything special I need? What would be heat shrunk?

Best to read the instructions first. Thick-wall heat shrink is right next to the chair lugs at Home Depot. Insulate the lugs with that so they can't move and touch each other.
Buy the correct size lugs for your wire gauge. You'll also need a T20 security torx bit - I bought an inexpensive folding Husky set at HD. To do it right, you'll also need a torque screwdriver. I'll check Amazon tonight for that. In the meantime re-painting the garage wall where the charger will go, and installing a plywood backer as the studs aren't ideally located.

Attachments

• 16666522851646414813189297543800.jpg
    16666522851646414813189297543800.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 137
Best to read the instructions first. Thick-wall heat shrink is right next to the chair lugs at Home Depot. Insulate the lugs with that so they can't move and touch each other.
Buy the correct size lugs for your wire gauge. You'll also need a T20 security torx bit - I bought an inexpensive folding Husky set at HD. To do it right, you'll also need a torque screwdriver. I'll check Amazon tonight for that. In the meantime re-painting the garage wall where the charger will go, and installing a plywood backer as the studs aren't ideally located.
I just used a 2x4 next to a stud, but my garage is unfinished so it was trivial.

I prefer compression lugs, but chair lugs are fine (and what we used)

I removed my old charger yesterday and stated installing the Lucid charger.

Unfortunately, at least one more trip to Home Depot needed. However, it looks straightforward.

Can someone post a link to the installation manual or some photos of any pages with wiring diagrams/instructions? I’m mostly curious.

Also, what is a chair lug? Never heard this name but probably would recognize it if I saw it.

I just used a 2x4 next to a stud, but my garage is unfinished so it was trivial.

I prefer compression lugs, but chair lugs are fine (and what we used)
I'd prefer compression lugs too, but didn't want to buy the large tool to properly crimp them. Probably could've made do with my ferrule swaging tool though I didn't want to find out later that it was a bad idea. So I ordered a torque screwdriver from Amazon and bought chair lugs.

Can someone post a link to the installation manual or some photos of any pages with wiring diagrams/instructions? I’m mostly curious.

Also, what is a chair lug? Never heard this name but probably would recognize it if I saw it.
Many chair lugs are square, made of tin-plated aluminum, but I liked the look of these rounded copper lugs especially if they need to be insulated with heatshrink. My old Tesla charger was set to 60 amps with 4 AWG feed wires and a #8 ground, so these lugs should work well.

It's it ready to hookup to bidirectional charging?
It is, but there are still many regulatory hoops to jump through before it gets approved. Not only that, but there will be additional hardware required to get it to work.

Back