Lucid Connected Home Charging Station status updates

AIR.LUCID

Cars
‘04 Prius, ‘98 MB SLK230
Has anyone heard about the eventual cost or ETA of the Lucid Connected Home Charging Station?

Last report was Q3 Cost not known but rumored to be in the $1-2k.

I got this information last week. The wall charger is $1,200, but it's rated for up to 100 amps (hard-wired of course). It can be wired for 50 amps with a NEMA 14-50 plug. The unit is bi-directional. I have no clue on how this is enabled, but I'll bet it will require additional hardware, like a transfer switch of some kind. It won't be as simple as installing a ChargePoint+ or JuiceBox which are not bi-directional.

I got this information last week. The wall charger is $1,200, but it's rated for up to 100 amps (hard-wired of course). It can be wired for 50 amps with a NEMA 14-50 plug. The unit is bi-directional. I have no clue on how this is enabled, but I'll bet it will require additional hardware, like a transfer switch of some kind. It won't be as simple as installing a ChargePoint+ or JuiceBox which are not bi-directional.
You will definitely need an automatic transfer switch. It prevents current from leaving you panel, traveling along the power line and electrocuting any linemen working one the impact power line.

I figured as much. We haven't had a power outage in over a decade, so I think I'm going to go with a ChargePoint charger and keep it simple.

I figured as much. We haven't had a power outage in over a decade, so I think I'm going to go with a ChargePoint charger and keep it simple.
Yea seriously, where do you live? Lol Cheyenne mountain!?!?!

And for those who are planning to have home backup batteries or using your lucid to supply home power, remember to add a soft starter to your AC system. Without it startup inrush current for a 3 ton unit is around 70 amps. With a softer starter, it drops to less than 30 amps. You still need a soft starter even with a home generator. A good one costs nearly $300 and takes maybe 30 minutes to install. I have 4 HVACS for the house, so had to buy 4.

I’ve not had one this month… 5th June … not bad for silicon valley
A month is normal, that guy said a decade!

I think I've had 2 or 3 outages in the 20 years I've lived here. It's not something I worry about.

A power outage every month is normal? I think we've had 3 in the 5 years in our current house, with the most recent being uneventful due to our power walls.
Living in AZ, on coop electrical and only had 2 outages in 16 years. Last one uneventful due to Powerwalls.

We usually have 3 to 5 outages per winter season from storms and falling trees. These usually are no longer than 2 to 12 hours, but every decade at least we’ll have outages lasting up to a week. (Falling trees, snow storms, etc…) I worry that using the car to run the house might mean that in 24 hours we wouldn’t have either one :). We also have a whole house generator, and are waiting for the next generation of batteries (solid state?) before trying to run off batteries.

One thing to consider: a charging station (EVSE) that can handle 100 amps will have a cable close to the diameter and weight of a garden hose. A less-powerful but still capable 50amp station like the Chargepoint Home Flex will have a cable that is much less cumbersome, especially if the charging station is located at the rear of the car (from reworking a Tesla charging setup for example) and you have to drape the cable along most of the car's length to reach the front charge port.

One thing to consider: a charging station (EVSE) that can handle 100 amps will have a cable close to the diameter and weight of a garden hose. A less-powerful but still capable 50amp station like the Chargepoint Home Flex will have a cable that is much less cumbersome, especially if the charging station is located at the rear of the car (from reworking a Tesla charging setup for example) and you have to drape the cable along most of the car's length to reach the front charge port.
Yes, people need to know that cords are heavy and don’t like to be put in with a lot of torque or tension.

Get a longer cord that you think you need. Better to have some extra slack.

And my advice is to put them near the garage door opening. In case you want to park you car outside and charge it still.

Yes, people need to know that cords are heavy and don’t like to be put in with a lot of torque or tension.

And my advice is to put them near the garage door opening. In case you want to park you car outside and charge it still.

Large, heavy cords. And absolutely no standard on where on the car the charging port should be. My current PHEV charges at the front left fender and my charging unit is on the wall by that fender in my garage. That will work great for a Lucid, not so great for cars that choose to charge at the passenger rear fender!

I believe in encouraging innovation but there really needs to be a consistent place to put the charger in the car.

I like the logic - but hate reversing into the garage... plus it means I need to do a LOT of clearing up !!
maybe a job for the kids during their summer break :)

I like the logic - but hate reversing into the garage... plus it means I need to do a LOT of clearing up !!
maybe a job for the kids during their summer break :)
For the Lucid you won't have to reverse into the garage. The charging port is on the driver front fender.

Back